Join our zoo community

Helsinki Zoo Helsinki zoo

Discussion in 'Finland' started by eddielargefc, 4 Jun 2012.

1. eddielargefc

eddielargefc Active Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi
    My family and I are keen zoo enthusiasts from the UK. In August we will be on holiday on a cruise in the Baltic. We are very keen to fit in a visit to Helsinki zoo (we have visted some of the city's other highlights on previous trips) but only have limited time as the ship will only dock for one day.

Is it very easy and quick to get from the quay to the zoo and is the best way by taxi, ferry or bus?

Another cheekier question is are there any offers or discount vouchers for entry to the zoo that I should search out in advance ; ) (we are two adults a 7 yr old and a baby).

Any advice appreciated.

2. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I also visited Helsinki Zoo in January 2012, again in horrible conditions, but at least one of the resturants was open.

From the dock, take tram 4 (theres only one, but make sure you are heading into town)/walk to the square on the waterfront near the info centre, where you can ask for more info if you need it. Then walk/take tram 3T away from the harbour and get off at the stop by the Central Railway Station, where you can catch the zoobussi at the bus terminal immediately adjacent. The bus is green and very obvious, all decorated with animals, etc. The trip to the zoo takes about 15 minutes, and it stops at the zoo gates.

I would just walk to the bus stop, as its not very far and there is heaps to see, and would take less than 30 minutes, but it would obviously take longer with two kids.

There is a zoo ferry which operates in summer, this leaves from the waterfront near the information centre, I don't know how long this takes or how often it runs, but it would probably be more enjoyable than the tram/walk+bus.

There is also a reptile collection, Tropicario, located in central Helsinki, which has some pretty cool species, it does cost more than the zoo but is worth a visit if you have the time and interest. Take tram 7B to get here.

3. eddielargefc

Thanks for the info. I do hope the ferry to the zoo is running as that will be more fun. Thanks for mentioning Tropicario I will see if we have time.

4. ANyhuis

ANyhuis Well-Known Member

Last year, in May, I visited this zoo and I did both -- the bus and the ferry. You are correct that the ferry is by far the funner and more scenic way to get there.

5. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

So did you go to the Helsinki Zoo, Tropicario or Tallinn Zoo? Did you like them?

6. eddielargefc

Hi Sorry I didn't report on my trip earlier. We had a fantastic day at Helsinki zoo. My children really enjoyed the boat trip to the zoo and loved the fact the zoo was on an island. We spent the whole day there walking round twice to make sure that we saw everything. The only downside was the amount of midges on the waterside paths and the wasp that keep chasing us during lunch! The highlights were many but just to name a few my son loved cat canyon, I enjoyed seeing the Kulan and Przewalski's wild horse side by side and my wife loved watching the climbing abilities of the Markhor goats.
    A bonus was the sand sculpture exhibition.

I will write about Tallinn on the Estonia forum.