Join our zoo community

Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo Henry Doorly Zoo News 2017

Discussion in 'United States' started by jayjds2, 25 Jan 2017.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

After I returned from my 17-day, 44-zoo California trip I was pleased to see that the brand-new Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium history book had arrived in the mail. The book was published by The History Press, a firm that is connected to Arcadia, that has already published at least 15 or more zoo-themed books.

The one on Omaha's Zoo is by far the best out of all the long list of Arcadia/History Press publications simply because there are historical photos (66 black-and-white ones) but also far more text is available. The book is small, paperback, all black-and-white except for the cover, only 156 pages but really only 121 pages and then at the back there are another 35 pages of the zoo's history (broken down chronologically with awards, notes, bibliography and index). Those expecting a more comprehensive publication will be disappointed but for hardcore zoo enthusiasts the book is well worth purchasing. Having said that, I sat down and easily finished it off in a single evening.

This publication offers up a succinct version of Omaha Zoo's history, going from mega-exhibit to mega-exhibit through the years and revealing some pretty cool photos of construction images along the way. There are 7 pages of text and photos on Lied Jungle (1992) which was the largest zoo rainforest ever at that time; 5 pages on Scott Aquarium (1995), still the largest aquarium inside a zoo in North America; 6 pages on Desert Dome (2002), one of the world's largest indoor desert environments; 3 pages on Kingdoms of the Night (2003), still the world's largest Nocturnal House and home to the world's largest indoor swamp.

There are details on Gorilla Valley (2004), Orangutan Forest (2005), Butterfly & Insect Pavilion (2008), Expedition Madagascar (2010) and even the Center for Conservation & Research that opened in 1996 and then a new, $6 million wing was added in 2006. The zoo has 20 staff scientists and puts a lot of money towards research and conservation, which the general pubic might not be aware of.

Since Dennis Pate replaced Lee Simmons (he was director for approximately 40 years) the zoo has made incredible changes to its infrastructure that includes: a revamped main entrance, an entirely new second entrance, more than 1,000 extra parking spots, a revamp in 2012 of the Scott Aquarium that added 9 exhibits and widened corridors, refurbishments of eating places and a new restaurant, the Skyfari ride, a huge new gift shop, new ticketing booths and restrooms, a paved road for employee vehicles surrounding the zoo, and miles of expanded walkways, paths and signs inside the zoo. Dennis Pate, director since 2009, has overseen a tremendous number of changes to better the overall experience of visiting the zoo that might get overlooked and the zoo has spent tens of millions of dollars on items that are not necessarily showcase exhibits.

Of course the book ends with discussions on the 28-acre, $73 million African Grasslands, the $14 million Alaskan Adventure, the 5-acre, $27 million Children's Adventure Trails and even the upcoming Asian Highlands complex that will be built in two phases. I toured the zoo in 2008 and in 2012 and I feel that the facility has changed so much that even though it was a brilliant zoo years ago it is probably twice as good now and well worth another visit in the future.

Here is the Amazon link:

Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium (Landmarks): Eileen Wirth, Carol McCabe: 9781467136556: Amazon.com: Books

2. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. Milwaukee Man

4. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

On the link below is a new interview with former director Lee Simmons, in which he mentions that he has been working on a book of his zoo experiences that will be published "late this year". At the bottom of the article is a series of 34 photos of Lee Simmons and for those that don't know, he ran Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo for approximately 40 years.

Kelly: As Omaha zoo grew, director's wife 'became kind of a zoo mom' for baby animals

5. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

ZooElephantMan and StoppableSan like this.
  6. Milwaukee Man

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. MidwestFan

MidwestFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sun bears are no longer at the OHDZ:
    Sun bears arrive at Topeka Zoo

I was not aware Omaha was phasing them out. The article states they are a breeding pair, but I do not recall any cubs ever at Omaha.

StoppableSan likes this.
  8. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sun bears are a phase out species in AZA due to low breeding and only elderly individuals left.