Join our zoo community

Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo Henry Doorly Zoo News 2017

Discussion in 'United States' started by jayjds2, 25 Jan 2017.

1. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sounds like a great addition.

2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Ranking zoos is a subjective exercise but one that always interests many ZooChatters. Tim Brown, chairman of the IZES, emails with me back-and-forth at least twice a week and he just told me this morning that he has now visited exactly 763 zoos and he would put Omaha in the world's top 5....with Berlin at #1 and then San Diego, Bronx, Berlin Tierpark and Omaha rounding out the list. Other than Jonas Livet, I've never known of anyone having visited more zoos than Tim and so I think that his view holds a lot of weight. However, each to their own and I can respect many other opinions on the matter as zoos such as Leipzig, Vienna, Saint Louis and Singapore also get a lot of attention.

The crazy thing about Omaha is that it was already an extraordinary zoo (with some serious flaws, much like all zoos) before the $73 million African Grasslands, $27 million Children's Adventure Trails/Bird Amphitheater (opening in August) and next year's $21 million Asian Highlands complex. Other zoos around the world must be astonished at the rate of progress in a zoo found in Nebraska...of all places! :)

sooty mangabey, kiang and m30t like this.
  3. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Visiting 763 zoos is certainly a great achievement and puts him indeed in the position of drawing a personal top 5, this is as you say however completely subjective and I would not put to much emphasis on such lists, interesting as they can be. Personally I would not put the both Berlin zoos in my top 5, even though I visited "only" 115 zoos or so.

Rankings are just too subjective to take too seriously, be it from you, Sheridan, Tim May or myself or anyone. I find them interestig to hear, but do not put too much value in them and it is very feeble ground to base any claims on, especially when masked as something objective.

snowleopard, PAT, FunkyGibbon and 4 others like this.
  4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Here is a brief news segment about the new Asian exhibit (though it adds nothing to the article linked earlier).

5. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Any plans for the Amur leopards to join the snow leopards and Amur tigers in the Asian Highlands exhibit? Seems that they would fit in well.

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  6. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. snowleopard

The newly updated zoo map includes 2016's African Grasslands complex ($73 million), 2016's Alaskan Adventure Splash Park ($14 million), 2017's Children's Adventure Trails and the Free-Flight Bird Show Theater ($27 million) and even a vague outline of the 2018/2019 Asian Highlands zone ($20 million). At this rate the zoo is becoming very difficult to see in a single day and all of those projects equal $134 million spent over the course of only 4 summers. Wow!

It is interesting to note that the North Entrance allows visitors to come into the family-friendly south-west corner of the zoo. In that general area will be the new 5-acre Children's Adventure Trails and the bird show amphitheater that will be joining the existing Alaskan Adventure Splash Park, stingray touch tank, carousel, train station, goat petting yard, etc. Most of the zoo's attractions that are geared towards youngsters are all in that one area.

Here is the map:

http://www.omahazoo.com/Post/sections/22/Files/zoo map 2017_website.pdf

Two major projects for the long-term future will be Coastal Shores and Equatorial Africa, essentially replacing the Bear Canyon and Cat Complex areas.

Master Plan summary:

Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium

8. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

9. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

Yesterday I visited the zoo and interviewed its director Dennis Pate for my blog Zoophoria, which should be up shortly. I visited again today before flying out of Omaha. I have posted several pictures to the gallery including ample ones from African Grasslands (which is beyond exceptional and transcendent.) A full review is coming soon but here are a few notes:
    - Gray Gibbon is in the first habitat in Lied Jungle.
    - No sign of blue monkeys. Have they been phased out?
    - Wolf's Guenon in side habitat in Lied Jungle.
    - I saw the Malayan tapir using the upper part of the land area, not just the bank
    - I saw all six elephants on my visit. When I was there they were in the family quarters and south habitat closest to the barn. Zebras and impalas were in the larger elephant yard.
    - The white rhinoceros was in a part of the savanna closed off from the giraffes, impalas and ostriches.
    - Komodo dragons and squirrel monkeys can now be fuond in the Cat Complex. Amur tigers live in the habitat that once featured lions.
    - Construction on Asian Highlands is well underway.

snowleopard likes this.
  10. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

11. GraysonDP

Muller's Gibbon

12. zoo_enthusiast

zoo_enthusiast Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I was there on Wednesday. Blue monkeys (saw 2) were on exhibit in Gorilla complex, right next to black macaques.

13. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It should also be noted that there are now grey mouse lemurs on exhibit in Expedition Madagascar.

14. GraysonDP

15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

16. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

17. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. snowleopard

The new Children's Adventure Trails, another ultra-expensive development at the zoo, is now open and as a father of 4 young children I have to admit that this children's section looks awesome. There aren't many animals in that part of the zoo but to have a single entrance/exit is important for parents, and this multi-acre, nature-based playground is something that my kids would likely want to stay in all day long. The downside is that I'd want to leave to see the rest of the zoo! For those that have access to Facebook...here is a 3-minute video that gives a great overview of the new area (just scroll down a little bit):

Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium

19. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Cool. What I am missing is pictures and cut-outs of animals, so children soak some education. And showers, after the child runs under that waterfall and then rolls in the sand.

20. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.