Join our zoo community

Henry Vilas Zoo Henry Vilas Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by mstickmanp, 12 Nov 2011.

1. Wild Man

Wild Man Member

2. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Looks like a huge improvement over the previous bear grottoes! :) Though is it just me, or does it look very similar to Great Bear Wilderness at Brookfield Zoo? Especially with that big mock rock wall...

3. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's similar, but Brookfield is more of a modern day grotto. This looks like it's all glass enclosed. So it may give the bears more room and allow visitors to get closer up to them. However, for photographers, they have to play the glare game.

4. Wild Man

Wild Man Member

5. Milwaukee Man

6. Milwaukee Man

7. Wild Man

Wild Man Member

8. Milwaukee Man

9. Milwaukee Man

10. Milwaukee Man

An article about the brand-new Arctic Passage, set to open next weekend! :D

Vilas Zoo set to open Arctic Passage exhibit : Wsj

Based on the video I saw attached, it looks pretty good; the only complaint I have for now are the large plain concrete walls on parts of the bear exhibits, and surrounding part of the seal pool.

I'm planning on checking it out in a few weeks.

11. blospz

Based on the video, I almost thought, I was the exhibits were bigger (more so if they got more bears). However, it may be realistic as the zoo will probably ever have one or two polar bears due to the decline in the US population. Are the brown bears and polar bears allowed to rotate into the two exhibits?

12. Milwaukee Man

Both bear species are able to rotate between the exhibits; on what basis the rotation will take place I'm not sure.

13. blospz

14. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

WDM and HVZ did a wonderful job with their limited budget. Yes, it has a restaurant, but having three different species and the bells and whistles, they've accomplished a lot. The Polar yard is larger than I thought, almost double the size of St Louis' new PB Point. If the bears can rotate yards, even better. Sure the stark concrete walls are obvious as are cross views with visitor viewing. Who cares? The bears have space, and the harbour seals got an upgrade. This is leagues better than STLZ's and offers a complex, vs. a razed bunch of grottoes and cost nearly double or more. I am most excited for these bears and the ones in Buffalo. They will be joining the ranks of spacious bear yards like NCZoo. STLZ and LPZ can enjoy their puny exhibits by PGAV and Portico Group Slop.

15. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I visited Henry Vilas Zoo last summer and was really impressed with everything I saw. The facility is free to the public and so the new 70-seat restaurant will help to bring in some much needed revenue for further additions. Arctic Passage has some highlights, such as the underwater viewing area, the grassy sections, and the fact that the bears will be able to rotate between the yards. The stark cement walls are not aesthetically pleasing but it will be interesting to see more photos of the complex once a ZooChatter makes a visit. I'm intrigued to see what the restaurant looks like, as it apparently overlooks at least one of the bear habitats.

16. blospz

Looking at more photos and really studying the original layout, it's exactly how it was intended to be. I was just looking at viewing areas wrong that made me think I was missing part of their exhibit. Well, it is sad to think the Saint Louis exhibit will be a small yard and I would have to see this in person to really get a feel for its size. The only major qualm now I have, just based on photos, is the limited underwater viewing. I wouldn't say it's any smaller than other zoo's, but being newer, I would hope for a little more. But maybe it's actually bigger than what I've based off the photos. I remember seeing photos of the old grottoes and this is definitely a lot better. I am always happy when polar bears have a lot of grass to walk and roll around on. I also love you can view into the exhibit when you go inside the restaurant. That's where I would be eating if I was visiting the zoo!

17. Milwaukee Man

18. Wild Man

Wild Man Member

According to the latest newsletter, the asses were suppose to arrive in early May, but the exhibit they are suppose to be in is empty and there is no sign for them yet.

19. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

20. Wild wolverine

Wild wolverine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I will be going to the zoo this weekend, and post pictures of the new Arctic Passage! I'm very excited to see all of these changes to the zoo as I have not been there since 2012.