Join our zoo community

Henry Vilas Zoo Henry Vilas Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by birdsandbats, 31 Jan 2018.

1. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I should be making a visit to the zoo soon, as I want to see the lemur babies while they are still smaller. By the time I go, hopefully the bathrooms will be finished, I can also check on the swan as well as the renovations in the Discovery Center and reptile exhibits. It'll be interesting to see the sugar gliders too, as I have never seen them.

Also, Henry Vilas Zoo posted on their Instagram that allows people to comment on the post and get a chance to win a session with the baby lemurs. The winner will also pick the names for the litter of two. (Assuming the staff is naming the litter of three.)

birdsandbats and StoppableSan like this.
  2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just a question, is HVZ's Walleye a rescue? On my trip on Saturday, I noticed that the Walleye was sort of bent into an "S" shape. Does anyone know why?

3. EsserWarrior

I have no idea, but your question is defiantly legitimate! I noticed the same thing when I recently went there, as I finally took time to look into the exhibit. Henry Vilas Zoo is by far not the greatest zoo when it comes to sharing information and news about its animals.

4. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What species of buttonquail do they happen to have, and are they on-show elsewhere or did they die/move/go off-show?

5. EsserWarrior

FR, I am not sure exactly on what species it is. But I don't believe that it died because the other species around it were also taken off exhibit. I am assuming it is off-show are the exhibit. I also believe the zoo only has a single individual, so I do not know if the zoo is part of any breeding work for them.

-

I didn't know Henry Vilas Zoo has so many other people here that were passionate about the zoo. So I am very excited to discuss more about the zoo with everyone.
    The zoo has a pair of Golden Lion Tamarin in the exhibit in the Vet Center, I was told that they also had a sloth in there who was taken out for breeding between the tamarins. I am also aware that the sloth is now living in an exhibit underneath the bridge in the aviary.

Is anyone aware on any breeding plans for species that the zoo has? I believe the zoo plans on breeding Callie, one of the two new amur tigers, with Yuri, the newer male. (Does anyone know where these two came from?) If I remember correctly, the zoo is always trying to breed their two orangutans, as they brought in Chelsea to show their other female how to be a mother correctly. The zoo also breeds prairie dogs extremely often. They also had Geoffroy's Marmoset offspring born as well, as the zoo is successful at breeding the species.

6. birdsandbats

Excalfactoria chinensis.

7. birdsandbats

Yuri came from the John Ball Zoo. Not sure where Callie came from.

EsserWarrior likes this.
  8. MeiLover

MeiLover Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Callie came from Great Plains Zoo, where she was born. She's been living at Henry Vilas for quite a while (not sure how long...at least a year).

EsserWarrior likes this.
  9. EsserWarrior

"Once we finish the Arctic Passage, we’re thinking about moving the harbor seals and that would open up a whole new area. The direction we’re trending towards is turning that into a really nice cat area. ... We’d upgrade for the lions, move the tigers so it makes sense geographically and then bring in some really cool animals like snow leopards as well as clouded leopards because they need a lot of help in saving their species."

This is an exact quote from a 2014 interview with the Director of Henry Vilas Zoo.

Any thoughts on Henry Vilas Zoo adding these species to their collection.

10. birdsandbats

Where would the Snow and Clouded Leopards go?

11. EsserWarrior

It did not say exactly. I'd assume they'd go where the Amur Tigers would be moved to.

Honestly, I wouldn't be sad if the zoo took down the North American Bison and Prairie Dog exhibits. Even if not for those species, just replacing them would be nice.
    I feel as if they could also add exhibits in that open picnic area near the rhinos and giraffes. I never see anyone using them.

12. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's not a buttonquail. :p

13. birdsandbats

I know. But that's what I have called it for a long time, and the name sort of stuck.

EsserWarrior and Mehdi like this.
  14. EsserWarrior

I will being going to the zoo tomorrow, hopefully I can get my first look at the new lemur babies as well as update everyone on the renovations in the Herp. Building and Discovery Center. I could also see if the bathrooms were completed and see the animals around that section of the zoo and if they have returned to their outdoor areas.

15. EsserWarrior

Sadly, my trip to the zoo was canceled due to poor weather conditions.

On another note, the litter of two Black-and-White Ruffed Lemurs have gotten their names from the contest the zoo held. They are named Hazo and Avo.

16. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Chinese Painted Quail are commonly referred to as Button Quail in the USA.

EsserWarrior likes this.
  17. birdsandbats

They are also commonly referred to as Painted Buttonquail, adding more confusion.

EsserWarrior likes this.
  18. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

19. EsserWarrior

It is confirmed through Henry Vilas Zoo's instagram that the Ring-Tailed Lemur group of seven individuals is made up of two males and five females. As you all may know, the lemurs moved to the zoo when they had just moved out their small troop of chimpanzees. Does anyone know where they lemurs moved to the zoo from, as well as the relations between them? It doesn't seem like the zoo is breeding them.

Henry Vilas Zoo
    The zoo has also just opened the William T. Evjue Visitor Center. The building is not new, it use to just be used for events and other things along those lines at the zoo. The building also had timelines along the walls of the zoo's history, showing several species that the zoo had in the past. I am not sure if they still have them on the walls, as you can see some of the same footage on the wall in the photo.

20. birdsandbats

Any live animals?