Join our zoo community

hi all

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dreamer, 10 Jul 2015.

1. Dreamer

Dreamer Member

I found this site a long time ago and forgot about it, but now I found it again and thought I would sign up. :)

Sometimes I think it is fun to dream about owning and designing a zoo of my own. That's why I chose the name Dreamer. Who knows? Maybe someday...

I have only been to a few zoos, mostly in Massachusetts (though I don't remember which name goes with which zoo :eek: ). Funnily enough my favorite zoos are not zoos at all, depending on how you define them. I love Mystic Aquarium in CT, and also a small safari park type place in another part of that state... its name eludes me (do you see a pattern here? LOL).

I especially am interested in conservation work, especially habitat preservation/restoration and species propagation. Those two things make me very excited, seeing land become wild again and rare animals being born or hatched...

I've done some "little" conservation projects myself... planted countless trees, helped rid a purple martin colony of invasive house sparrows, etc... I enjoy this type of work. Um... I don't really know what else to say here, but hello! I hope we can have lots of interesting discussions!

2. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Welcome to ZooChat, the is a bit of debate on here of how one defines a zoo, but I myself would consider them zoos.

3. Dreamer

Dreamer Member

Hi, Macaw16! I love parrots myself but have never owned one. I have seen many smaller species in public aviaries - hm, are those zoos? I think so. I've never seen a macaw in a zoo, probably too much maintenance unless the zoo has a large staff. I like the aviaries where you can feed the parrots and let them climb on your hand. That's how I first became interested in parrots, and birds in general. Before that I was mostly into mammals like horses... now I'm in love with avians!

4. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've seen them at a couple of small collections, mainly Blue and Yellows though.