Join our zoo community

Hi from me too

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by orbe, 30 Jul 2007.

1. orbe

orbe Active Member

Hi, I'm Tim from Adelaide and stumbled across this site about a week ago.

I'm an Adelaide/Monarto member and go to both zoos regularly, particularly Adelaide Zoo every 2 or 3 weeks during my lunch break.

I've been to most of the Australian Zoos in the last couple of years (and London, Singapore and one in Iowa) and have pieced together some the family trees/relationships of the big cats in the region. I have found this site to answer some of the questions I have wondered about for a while.

I'm also curious about what private collections of big cats still exist, such as Bullens and other historical circus breeders. I am familiar with ARAZPA and the role they play.

Went to Adelaide Zoo today and the new male lion aquired from Mogo 4 weeks ago was placed in an ajoining enclosure to Amali and Yizi today, (Quarantine period finished) although still sleepy (in the den) from his vasectomy earlier in the day. The girls certainly knew something was happening despite the male being out of site and sleeping it off. The pending introduction should be interesting.....

Anyway, enough from me!!

2. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

HI orbe, welcome!

I'm sure you will be a valuable contributor, and you certainly will learn a lot from this forum, both about zoos and about human nature!

Adelaide zoo is just about my favourite in Australia (although I am Taronga born and bred) and it's always good to have more Sth. Australian members.

3. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi Tim

I also found this site by accident, it is a great forum.

4. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse Member

Hi, I'm new here as well.
    Re your question about big cats, I heard the other day that there are more tigers in america than any other country. 12,000, most of which are owned privately.....

I've been reading about Monarto zoo recently and it sounds fantastic. I have been planning a trip to adelaide in my head for the last few weeks now.

5. orbe

orbe Active Member

Thanks guys,

I've heard the USA has alot of big cats in private hands but that unfortunately does not help the conservation efforts. There are not too many records of the breeding and consequently those cats are of little value in this regard.

I've even heard stories about road-side zoos breeding closely related animals to produce cubs for purely financial gain.

And then their are the dozens of animal sanctuaries that rescue unwanted animals - sometimes only because the "cub" gets too big to handle or are neglected.

I'm certainly glad their are better controls in Australia.

I'm more interested in the Australasian region and understanding the difficulties faced in maintaining viable populations into the future. Otherwise where will I take my grandkids in 50 years?

6. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is interesting there are very few members here from the USA.

7. tigerlover

tigerlover Member

Hey Monte, i just joined i'm in the US in Vero Beach, FL...yaaaaaay

Hey Orbe,
    i would like to contribute to your post, but i don't think this is the right area to do so, i'll look around and find a place for ya...

tigerlover

8. Monty

I packed oranges in Vero beach Florida. Almost all the Minesoto Agricultral Exchange Students spend a month before christmas there in the warmer climate before heading back to Minneapolus for the rest of winter at university.

9. tigerlover

tigerlover Member

very cool Monty, i didn't think anyone here would have even heard of Vero, hehehe

10. Monty

I was actualy there all december 93 and 94 and presume exchange students are still spending December there packing oranges.