Join our zoo community

Hi from the UK & Perth Zoo old photo request

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Newzooboy, 23 Nov 2007.

1. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi All

I'm a new member from the UK who (like many others it appears) found this site while searching for other zoo-related stuff on the internet (see below).

So Hi to all!! (although I have a sneaky suspicion I already know many of you UK members from Barlett Soceity or IZES??).

The Australian focus of this site may ,however, assist me with a current project to compile a history of Perth Zoo during the seventies (ie upto the point when it began to change into the much more modern zoo that it clearly is today).

I lived in Perth as a child (1973-1979) and it was this zoo that I visited most as a boy and therefore the one that is mainly responsible for my interest and enthusiasm for all things zoo-related in my adult life. I am therefore very interested in the developmental history of this site during that time.

While I have some old photographs, guides and maps from the period (mainly stolen from my parents!!), I have struggled to obtain any pictures of the zoo as I remember it. I am especially keen to obtain pictures of the following but any photos from Perth Zoo in the seventies would very be useful:
    Otter pool (with castle)
    Old Polar Bear Enclosure
    Bear Terraces
    Big Cat row of cages
    Primate row of cages
    Noctural House
    Gibbon Islands/ Lake

These must exist in peoples collections esp. those who lived and visitied the Zoo during this time. I don't mind if the pictures are of bad quality or if the subject animals are tiny or dark. It is mainly the buildings, enclosures and look of the zoo that I need pictures of (although any choice animals from the period that we dont see now would also be cool!). Often zoo pictures that non-enthusiasts would throw away (cause older cameras were not very good at taking pictures of animals) are gems for us zoo historians......the background is everything!!!

I would be willing to cover cost of postage for copies or (even better) scans that could be sent electronically or I could help out with something of interest to you (UK ZOOS??) in return.

Anyway, thanks for reading this and thanks in advance to anyone who thinks they may be able to help.

Chat more generally soon.
    All the best
    Dean

2. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

newzooboy, welcome, though you seem not as new as me, as i seem to be more than 10 years your minor! ;)

3. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

So now we have TWO zooboys!, OMG lol, Welcome to the forum Newzooboy

4. Newzooboy

Many thanks Zooboy, you may be behind me in years (although not sure how you know this as I didn't put birth year on my profile?) but way ahead in choosing a cool user name!!

5. Newzooboy

Thanks MARK. Indeed we do have two zooboys although I don't plan to use this name on websites un-related to actual zoos :eek:
    Anyone for Evennewerzooboy!