Join our zoo community

Hi to all

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by achilee, 25 Oct 2016.

1. achilee

achilee Member

Hi,

I am doing a research investigation on zoos- a 3-fold investigation centered around the contribution/value of the most reputable zoos w.r.t.
    (1) Conservation –where conservation naturally refers to in-situ conservation; and therefore I will be tackling the topics of extirpation, captive breeding, surplus populations, IUCN status and representation within the zoo, wildlife fitness, breeding budget and ROI, success of releases (w/ quantifiable measure of the success over time), and so much more.
    (2) Animal welfare science –of course in relation to welfare frameworks such as the 5 freedoms and such.
    (3) Education –supported by quantifiable measures of the quality of the education of the general public (including message persistence over time, measurable impact on personal wildlife ethics, measurable impact on wildlife and nature conservation awareness, etc)...

I am targeting the most reputable zoos (so I am targeting the San Diego zoo for instance), however I am also eager to get to know about other good zoos around the world. And because I am not living right around the corner of all the good zoos, then it seems natural then to join the forum and ask those many questions I need to ask about those zoos as part of my work.

Of course it will be even more interesting to work with you guys at also gathering peer-reviewed evidence of most of the results/outcomes that we will be discussing. In all cases this is a great preparation to the visits I need to do at your facilities, as well as it is a great way to share information also with the other members of the forum.

Knowledge is gold, and spreading informed knowledge builds strong communities!

I look forwards that forum. Thanks! - Claire

Last edited: 25 Oct 2016
  2. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member

Welcome to ZooChat from the Netherlands. Because in Europe there are also some VERY good zoos, we will try to give answers to all your questions !

achilee likes this.
  3. achilee

achilee Member

Thanks a lot @vogelcommando ! Questions to come very soon
    Meanwhile tell me more about the good zoos of Netherlands, which are they (I am referring to their name so that I can check their website and select a few)? What accreditation do your reputable zoos fall under in the case of Netherlands?

4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member

Quite a lot of good zoos in the Netherlands:
    Rotterdam Zoo - modern zoo with lots of good exhibits and loads of rare species.
    Burgers Zoo - Some world-class exhibits ( Bush, Desert and Ocean )
    Beekse Bergen - Safari-park and zoo in one, large enclosures, nice collection
    Artis - Amsterdam Zoo - old city zoo with good collection and nice exibits
    Lots of medium-sized and smaller zoos which all have their own pro's ( and some of them also their contra's ) but in general all of them also ( very ) good !

achilee likes this.