Join our zoo community

Highland Wildlife Park Highland wildlife park news 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 3 Jan 2018.

1. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

The fact they announced it 9 hours ago on facebook says something about the number that turned up.

Oh and Twycross were doing one out one in today, even without a completed chimp house.

2. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

Surely they’ll put something in place now to ensure better control.

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

For those old enough to remember, its obviously the 'Brumas' factor at work again. They should have looked at what happened at London Zoo when she was born back in 195... Bristol had a similar experience(on a smaller scale) with their firt cub 'Sebastian' too.

Last edited: 6 Apr 2018
    Tim May likes this.
  4. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They posted the following earlier today:

Thank you to all our visitors who chose to make the most of the sunshine and visit the Highland Wildlife Park. Your support is vital in helping us achieve our charitable aims and our mission of safeguarding endangered species.

If you are planning to visit us over the holiday period, please be aware that we are expecting to be extremely busy, especially during better weather. Please look out for updates on our social media channels.

If you had pre-booked tickets and were unable to enter the Park due to traffic congestion, please e-mail our visitor services team - [email protected].

Thank you once again for your support. We really appreciate all the interest and best wishes towards our Park, our conservation work and the new arrival!

5. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Indeed, the publicity surrounding the famous polar bear cub 'Brumas' (born 1949) resulted in London Zoo having three million plus visitors in 1950; the highest ever annual attendance of any UK zoo.

pipaluk likes this.
  6. Pertinax

...but it didn't last very long as Polar Bear cubs grow very quickly so, as with Brumas the new cub at HWP won't have that strong appeal factor after the first few months.

7. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Agreed. "Brumas” was born several years before I was; by the time I started visiting the zoo as a very small child, “Brumas” was “just another polar bear” and no longer anything special.

Similarly, “Pipaluk” soon ceased to be a novelty and the excitement surrounding him didn’t last long; and, of course, similar situations arose with “Pipaluk’s” subsequent siblings,

Last edited: 7 Apr 2018
  8. Pertinax

Same thing at Bristol- there were queues stretching outside the zoo to see the baby 'Sebastian' but he grew very fast. Subsequent cubs did not have quite the same impact. I seem to remember one year there were two cubs even, with two mothers- Cynthia( Sebastian's mother) had one and his 'mate' Misha had one too. Must have been a fairly unique situation in a GB zoo- unless Chester ever did that.

I think the HWP cub will already be quite large by the summer holidays...

9. Quincey

10. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The polar bear cub has been sexed as a male, let the naming competition commence.

Loxodonta Cobra and Giant Panda like this.
  11. Quincey

Visited today for only the 3rd time, how I wish I lived closer!

The park is simply stunning, we seen every single species possible, and even got to witness the young polar bear cub swimming and playing with Victoria (his mother). It would appear that he will named Hamish, as it's this name that's winning the vote by a landslide.

A few pieces of news:

• A Bull Elk arrived yesterday from Curraghs Wildlife Park and has already been introduced to the resident female.
    • The park have been given approval to attempt to breed the Musk Ox this year.
    • The last Arctic Fox at the park has been euthanised due to severe ill health.
    • Signage at the Amur Tiger enclosure indicates that a 2nd Tiger enclosure is due to be built.

Brum and Scottish Wildcat like this.
  12. agnmeln

Yes - I don’t Hamish being beaten now in the poll the way that things stand. It isn’t my personal preference, as I feel that some of the other names have a lot more significance.

13. Pertinax

Not particularly my preference either but when I saw it on the list, it seemed the obvious winner to me...;)

14. Pertinax

Not surprised to hear that, they looked very old and shaky when I saw them in 2016. Hopefully they will replace.

15. agnmeln

Yes, I agree. I voted for Artor, but I also like the idea behind Poulsen.

16. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Another one here who voted for Artor. Hamish seems a pretty uninspired choice compared with the other options, although some of the comments about it on the HWP Facebook page are rather OTT to put it mildly!

17. agnmeln

Yes, uninspired is a good choice of word. It just seems a little eye-rollingly obvious. I haven’t seen the comments that you mention but I may have a nose now just to see what it’s all about!

18. Quincey

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  19. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

No idea when they were born, but there's a couple of visitors' pics of young Wildcat kittens on the facebook

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

How many Scottish wild cats do they have?