Join our zoo community

Hippo-Rex: Far From Home

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by Hipporex, 12 Mar 2020.

1. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Have you ever just been sitting there, browsing Zoochat, when out of the blue your cousin, who you infrequently talk to, contacts you and asks if you'd like to join her on a summer back-packing trip across Europe? No, just me? Well then... So yes, as the Spider-Man inspired title suggests I'll be going on a vacation far from my California residents. It'll be during summer break after I graduate from high school (from June 7th or 8th to June 20th). We'll be visiting Switzerland, Slovenia, Croatia, and a few other places. We'll mainly be visiting small country villages. Now this is not a zoo trip but I would like to visit some while we're there. I already have my sights set on the small Alpenwildpark (Interlaken, Switzerland) and Aquarium Split (Split, Croatia). I'd also love to visit Zoo Zurich, as recommended to me by @DavidBrown, and Postojna Cave Park Vivarium (to see an olm). I'm very excited and hope to take plenty of amazing pictures, some of which I'll hopefully be able to share in the galleries. This is all of course assuming the U.S. travel ban isn't extended.

(P.S. My Chicago trip, which I asked help for in this thread, will unfortunately be canceled because of this, but honestly I can't complain. Maybe next time guys!)

Last edited: 12 Mar 2020
  2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I hope you manage to pull this off, given everything going on in the world right now! If you do, perhaps visit Zoo Zagreb in Croatia, which not only has olm onshow but a near-complete set of Croatian snake species - it was to be one of the highlights of my imminent (but now very uncertain) trip to the continent.....

Jambo and Hipporex like this.
  3. Hipporex

Thank you for the suggestion! I certainly won't be convincing my cousin to go (she finds zoos boring), but I might be able to go off on myself for a day.

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Indeed - gather it's not big and Zagreb looks to be a very pretty city so I imagine she will find something to fill the time with!

Hipporex likes this.
  5. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I hope the virus pandemic is under control by then and you can move forward. Small villages in Europe are stunningly beautiful and it is an amazing opportunity for you to go at such a young age. I didn't make it to Europe until I was 40 (I think) but I fell in love with it and have gone essentially every other year since (6 trips so far).

Hipporex likes this.
  6. Hipporex

Thank you! I too hope this virus is under control by then. And yes I agree this is an amazing experience and I'm very excited. Do you happen to have any suggested attractions/experiences in the countries I've marked?

Last edited: 13 Mar 2020
  7. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The only place on your list I have been is Zurich, Switzerland (twice). Zoo Zurich is indeed good (Masaola Hall is BY FAR the best indoor rainforest I have seen, probably the best in the world). They also have a world class snow leopard exhibit. Just outside the city, easily accessible by train, is the free (and quite nice) Langenburg Wildlife Park (which is now run by Wildnispark Zurich, so you may see that name as well).

Hipporex likes this.
  8. Hipporex

I've just come to the realization that this trip my be canceled regardless of if things have "calmed down" by then. I'm aware in New Mexico schools have been canceled for three weeks and then will have those three weeks cutting into their summer break. If something similar happens to my cousin or I, this adventure could go the way of the dodo. However I fully understand what needs to be done needs to be done and if this is what needs to happen to make sure people stay safe then so be it.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  9. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Zoo Zurich is absolutely the priority. With just under two weeks, several countries and a non-zoonerd friend you are going to have to make some tough choices elsewhere. I haven't visited any zoos in the Balkans, but my instinct is that apart from Zagreb you'd be better off using zoo time in Switzerland.

Basel is a very fine zoo, and it's a good example of a classic continental European one. As an American in Europe for the first time you'd probably get more from it than most.

Other Swiss zoos are smaller and wouldn't take an entire day. Goldau is supposed to be great but I haven't visited. Bern is sensational, and the city itself is also very beautiful, which is a real plus in your circumstance.

I think the key when travelling is to give yourself options. Make sure you research each destination enough to know what you might want to do there, but don't plan too rigidly. You may have more or less energy than expected. Similarly unexpected opportunities may present themselves and it's nice to take advantage of those.

TZDugong and Hipporex like this.
  10. Hipporex

Thanks!

As much as I'd love to go to Zoo Zurich, and I still may try, I'm not sure if I'll be able to because from where we'll be "stationed" (Interlaken and Gimmelwald) the zoo would be a 2.5 hour train ride both ways. The time isn't necessarily bad but having to navigate the transit system by myself in a foreign country where I don't speak the language is honestly a little scary. For seasoned travels this may sound like no big deal but I've never been out of the United States before so the prospect seems a little daunting. However, I've been informed of a facility less than an hour from Interlaken called Papillorama which seems really cool. Does anyone have any additional knowledge about this location?

However if Zoo Zurich is as impressive as y'all say I may just have to, as they say, risk it for the biscuit. :)

TNT likes this.
  11. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I hope you’re able to travel, but I strongly discourage you from spending any money at all at this stage. Don’t buy flights, book accommodation etc. The chances you’ll be able to use them are not good.

A note on language though: you’re fine. English speakers like us take it for granted, but we grow up with a free pass to being understood by people around the world. You’ll find most people in Switzerland speak better English than most Americans.

Hipporex likes this.
  12. Hipporex

Wise advice. We will indeed be waiting to buy stuff for the trip. Speaking of which sorry to hear about your predicament with the airlines.

CGSwans likes this.