Join our zoo community

Hipporex's Guide to Interesting and Unique Prehistoric Fauna

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Hipporex, 17 Feb 2019.

1. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

After @Chlidonias pointed out my error I looked it up and found that last terrestrial crocodile was indeed not Quinkana but Mekosuchus. The genus lived on South Pacific islands from 25,000,000 B.C.E. to 3,000 years ago.[​IMG]

Austin the Sengi likes this.
  2. Hipporex

[​IMG]

NUMBER THIRTY-THREE: One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Bigaft Monster Fish

[​IMG]
    • Animal: Super salmon (Oncorhynchus rastrosus)
    • Name Pronunciation: On-ko-rin-kus ras-tro-sus
    • Name Meaning: Oncorhynchus means "hook nose"
    • Named By: Cavender and Miller - 1972
    • Classification: Life, Eukaryota, Animalia, Chordata, Vertebrata, Gnathostomata, Osteichthyes, Actinopterygii, Salmoniformes, Salmonidae
    • When: ~ 12,000,000 B.C.E. to 5,000,000 B.C.E. (Late Miocene through to the Pleistocene)
    • Where: North America (United States (California, Oregon, and Washington))
    • Size: *see below*
    • Diet: *see below*
    The genus Oncorhynchus is still alive today but none of the living species get quite this big. Adult super salmon measured 9 feet (2.74 meters) long and may have measured up to 400 pounds (181.43 kilograms). Like modern salmon, this species probably lived life in the ocean but swan up river to spawn. Large gill-rakes and fossilized teeth suggest this species was planktivorous. Exceptionally high levels of plankton have also been recorded in Miocene aged marine deposits,‭ ‬which reveals that super salmon probably grew so big as a result of both a greater abundance of food,‭ ‬as well as a slower lifestyle which would not require calories for fast pursuit swimming,‭ ‬meaning that more could go to growth. The super salmon had two, large 0.8 to 1.2 inch (2 to 3 centimeter) long upper tusk-shaped teeth. It's worth noting I don't think the exact position of the tusks in a living fish is known as reconstructions seem to depict them in varying positions. To see if the tusk-shaped teeth played an important role in breeding of this species, researchers compared 51 different fossils from ancient deposits of both freshwater and saltwater environments. Teeth from freshwater deposits are not only larger, but they are also more recurved, and the tooth tips more worn and blunt. In addition, their bony tooth bases are considerably larger. Teeth from coastal marine deposits are smaller, straighter, their tooth tips sharper, and their tooth bases smaller. This supports our hypothesis that the super salmon did developmentally change between the marine and freshwater stages of their lives, as modern salmon do today. The paleontologists think it is likely super salmon were using their tusk-shaped teeth for fighting and display against each other during the spawning season. One can imagine prehistoric bears catching these goliath salmon and pulling them up on the bank.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Picture and Information Sources:

Last edited: 15 Mar 2019
  3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Nice mustache.

Hipporex likes this.
  4. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Honestly, I would eat it, it looks good...

Hipporex likes this.
  5. Hipporex

NUMBER THIRTY-FOUR: It may be a cetacean but it would of looked more like a hairy crocodile

[​IMG]
    • Animal: Ambulocetus natans
    • Name Pronunciation: Am-bu-loh-cee-tuss nay-tans
    • Name Meaning: "Whale that walks and swims"
    • Named By: Hans Thewissen et al. - 1994
    • Classification: Life, Eukaryota, Animalia, hordata, Vertebrata, Gnathostomata, Osteichthyes, Sarcopterygii, Tetrapodomorpha, Tetrapoda, Reptiliomorpha, Amniota, Synapsida, Therapsida, Mammalia, Placentilia, Boreoeutheria, Ungulata, Artiodactyla, Whippomorpha, Cetacea, Archaeoceti,‭ ‬Ambulocetidae
    • When: ~ 47,800,000 B.C.E. to 41,300,000 B.C.E. (Eocene epoch)
    • Where: Asia (Pakistan)
    • Size: 9.84 feet (3 meters)
    • Diet: Carnivore
    Along with other ambulocetids, A. natans was a transitional species that shows us that whales evolved from land-living ungulates. However, despite what its name translates to, the most recent research suggests this species was entirely aquatic. This animal swam by undulating its back vertically. Chemical analysis of its teeth shows that it could move between salt and fresh water. It also lacked external ears. Its skull had a long snout and eyes facing sideways, located high on the skull like in modern hippos. Ambulocetus had a feeding morphology similar to that of crocodiles: a long snout, pointed teeth, and strong jaw adductor muscles. Like crocodilians, Ambulocetus probably killed its prey by holding it in its jaw and either drowning it or thrashing it with violent motions. Similar to larger crocodilians, adult Ambulocetus probably were ambush predators that fed on larger fish, aquatic tetrapods and possibly terrestrial animals near the water. In contrast to crocodilians, it may have chewed its prey but probably did minimal food processing with its teeth.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Below: A. natans is third down)
    [​IMG]

Hammy, TheGerenuk and KevinB like this.
  6. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hipporex likes this.
  7. Hipporex

NUMBER THIRTY-FIVE: From one intersting aquatic to another

[​IMG]
    • Animal: Marine sloth (Thalassocnus)
    • Species: T. antiquus, T. carolomartini, T. littoralis, T. natans (type species), and T. yuacensis
    • Name Pronunciation: Thalassocnus means "sea sloth;" antiquus means "ancient;" carolomartini honors honor of Carlos Martin, the man how found the holotype bones for this species; littoralis means "seashore;" natans means "swimming;" yuacensis means "from Yuaca," the village near where the species was found
    • Named By: Christian de Muizon and H. Gregory McDonald - 1995
    • Classification: Life, Eukaryota, Animalia, Chordata, Vertebrata, Gnathostomata, Osteichthyes, Sarcopterygii, Tetrapodomorpha, Tetrapoda, Reptiliomorpha, Amniota, Synapsida, Therapsida, Mammalia, Placentilia, Xenarthra, Pilosa, Folivora, Megatheriidae, Thalassocninae
    • When: ~ 7,000,000 B.C.E. to 3,000,000 B.C.E.
    • Where: South America (Chile and Peru)
    • Size: Up to 11 feet (3.35 meters) long
    • Diet: Herbivore
    The marine sloth was a genus of semiaquatic (for older species) or fully aquatic (for younger species) mammal. The marine sloth evolved several marine adaptations over the course of 4 million years, such as dense and heavy bones to counteract buoyancy, the internal nostrils migrating farther into the head to help with breathing while completely submerged, the snout becoming more elongated and wide to better consume aquatic plants, and the head angling farther and farther downwards to aid in bottom tail. The long tail was probably used for diving and balance similarly to the modern day beaver or platypus. It probably walked across the seafloor and dug up food with its claws. They probably could not do high-powered swimming, relying on paddling if necessary. Early species were probably generalist grazers eating seaweed and seagrasses close to shore, whereas later species specialized on seagrasses farther off the coast. Marine sloths lived alongside and where probably hunted by giant predatory toothed cetaceans and giant sharks (including megalodon). Marine sloths went extinct about 3 million years ago, around the time the Isthmus of Panama closed and the Pacific Ocean became cut off from what is now the Caribbean Sea. This transition caused the waters off South America to become much colder than they had been, killing off the sea grasses the sloths fed on. Researchers think the sloths went extinct either due to the loss of their main food source, or simply because they were unable to tolerate the cold water.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Below: Marine sloth vs. shark)
    [​IMG]
    (Below: predatory toothed cetaceans hunting marine sloths)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 16 Mar 2019
    Brum, KevinB, birdsandbats and 4 others like this.
  8. Hipporex

NUMBER THIRTY-SIX: The nose nose all

[​IMG]
    • Animal: Schnoz lizard (Teraterpeton hrynewichorum)
    • Name Pronunciation: Te-rat-er-pe-ton
    • Named By: Teraterpeton means "Wonderful creeping thing"
    • Classification: Life, Eukaryota, Animalia, Chordata, Vertebrata, Gnathostomata, Osteichthyes, Sarcopterygii, Tetrapodomorpha, Tetrapoda, Reptiliomorpha, Amniota, Sauropsida, Eureptilia, Sauria, Archosauromorpha, Allokotosauria, Trilophosauria, Trilophosauridae
    • When: ~ 230,000,000 B.C.E. (Carnian stage of the Late Triassic epoch)
    • Where: North American (Canada (Nova Scotia (Wolfville Formation)))
    • Size: Approximately 3.93 feet (120.09 centimeters) long
    • Diet: Unknown (*see below*)
    Despite its common name, the schnoz lizard sat no where near lizards of the vertebrate family tree. Instead it belonged to a unique clade of archosaurs, Allokotosauria (Allokotosauria literally means "strange reptiles"). This is the same group that Shringasaurus indicus, a species we've already seen on here. This group is usually characterized by having proportionally small skulls, but as you can clearly see, this wasn't the case for the schnoz lizard. This little fellar had an elongated a rather skull. Over each eye socket was a bony projection. The front ‬half of the jaws were toothless.‭ ‬Half way back and extended to below the eye socket ‬small sharp teeth grew.‭ ‬The teeth in the upper and lower jaws interlocked with one another,‭ ‬with the cusps of upper teeth fitting into the pits of the lower teeth,‭ ‬and cusps of the lower teeth fitting into the pits of the upper teeth.‭ ‬At the time of writing there is no clear indication as to what the schnoz lizard ate. I would like to propose a theory, perhaps it was a insectivore? I suggest this because its elongated skull reminds me of the skulls of modern pangolins and anteaters. The only problem with this theory it, unlike those two extant mammals, this guy had teeth (pangolins and anteaters don't) and this guy din't appear to have specialized claws. Perhaps we won't know what this guy/girl (I don't assume) ate until we discover a cropolite (aka fossilized "brownies") or discover a fossil with undigested food in its rib cage.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]\

(Please note "schnoz lizard" is in no way this species English name but I found it fitting for this animal's physical appearance)

Last edited: 19 Mar 2019
    KevinB, Yi Qi, ZooBinh and 1 other person like this.
  9. Hipporex

NUMBER THIRTY-SIX: Happy World Frog Day!

[​IMG]
    • Animal: Beelzebufo ampinga
    • Name Pronunciation: Bee-zell-boo-foh am-ping-uh
    • Name Meaning: "Shielded devil toad"
    • Named By: Evans, Jones, & Krause, 2008
    • Classification: Life, Eukaryota, Animalia, Chordata, Vertebrata, Gnathostomata, Osteichthyes, Sarcopterygii, Tetrapodomorpha, Tetrapoda, Amphibia,‭ ‬Lissamphibia, Batrachia, Salientia, Anura, Ceratophryidae
    • When: ~ 70,000,000 B.C.E. to 65,500,000 B.C.E. (Maastrichtian stage of the Late Cretaceous epoch)
    • Where: Africa (Madagascar (Maevarano Formation))
    • Size: Big for a frog
    • Diet: Carnivore
    I no what you're thinking: "Hey?! Isn't that a picture of an a Surinam horned frog (Ceratophrys cornuta)?" You are correct, I chose that picture however as, as it was a member of Ceratophryidae, Beelzebufo looked a lot like this species. However, it was bigger, a lot bigger. The largest Argentine horned frogs measure 7.9 inches (20 centimeters) long, but the largest Beelzebufo measured up to an estimate 15.7 inches (39.88 centimeters) long, making it the biggest frog ever. The head of Beelzebufo was very big, and bones of the skull roof show a rugous external surface, indicating at least parts of the head may have borne bony scales. A 2014 study found armored plates embedded in the skin of its back. A 2017 study on the study found that ceratophryids, with head width of about 1.8 inches (4.5 cm), can bite with a force of 30 newtons. A scaling experiment, comparing bite force with head and body size, calculated that if Beelzebufo had similar jaw muscles, it may have had a bite up to 2,200 newtons. It is believed this animal feed on other amphibians, small mammals, and perhaps even baby dinosaurs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The scariest depiction of Beelzebufo the internet has to offer...

[​IMG]

10. Hipporex

I meant "know"
    I meant Surinam horned frog, I didn't mean Argentine horned frog.
    I have no idea what happened here

I figured I might as well correct my own spelling mistakes before someone else does. I apologize for my many spelling errors, writing has never been my strong suit. Although perhaps I should stop making excuses, and just proofread my dang posts before I hit "Post Reply."

ZooBinh likes this.
  11. SpinyLiving

SpinyLiving Well-Known Member

Ah yes, Beelzebufo, the thing that caused the second most amount of nightmares related to prehistoric life back when I was younger. After the ants ripping apart a Diatryma chick of course. Just like you said, that really messed me up as a kid. And the worst thing is, I haven't seen Walking with Beasts in years and I can still recall the scene with perfect detail. Anyway, Beelzebufo! When I was younger, I saw a documentary about dinosaurs, and I don't remember much about it, just that there was a Microraptor-esce dinosaur that led two baby let me think....I think they were Rugops? No, that's not it...Mapusaurus maybe? I don't remember. The point is, this Microraptor like dinosaur led two baby theropods into a area full of fog, so you couldn't see a freaking thing, then watched from a tree branch as the two babies, who were chasing it earlier, were devoured by the hungry froggo. The narrator then talked about how that type of dinosaur was exceptionally smart. Anyway, both the Beelzebufo and the other dino were eaten by the mother dino, but I was still in shock about the fact that a dinosaur just commited first-degree murder!

Hipporex likes this.
  12. Hipporex

Although it doesn't fit you're description exactly I'm 99% sure you talking about Dinosaur Revolution. Watch this video from 9:22 to 14:56. The "Microraptor-esce dinosaur" is Rahonavis. The "Mapusaurus" are Majungasaurus. The giant frogs are obviously Beelzebufo. And the "long-necked dinosaur" is Rapetosaurus.

Also, if you want to see something both ridiculous and funny (a dinosaur (Shunosaurus) getting high of some mushrooms) watch from 16:10 to 22:31. (Fyi the carnivores it gets chased by are Sinraptor, which actually are not related to Velociaptor.)

Last edited: 21 Mar 2019
    SpinyLiving likes this.
  13. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Where are you getting your pronunciations from? This one in particular is way off. Beelzebub, from which the frog gets its name, is pronounced "bee-el-ze-bub" - it isn't spelled "bee-zel-bub".

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  14. Hipporex

Yeah I don't know, I usually source my pronunciations but I just put that for this one because that's how I've always said it, although after looking at the name again, I don't know why I've been saying it like that considering it isn't spelled that way.

15. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Beelzebub put a devil frog aside for me, for me, for me.

16. Hipporex

NUMBER THIRTY-EIGHT: I believe I can fly! Oh wait...I can only glide *insert sad face*

[​IMG]

• Animal: Volaticotherium antiquum
    • Name Pronunciation: Vole-at-ie-ko-thee-ree-um an-tick-um
    • Name Meaning: "Ancient gliding beast"
    • Named By: Meng et al. - 2006
    • Classification: Life, Eukaryota, Animalia, Chordata, Vertebrata, Gnathostomata, Osteichthyes, Sarcopterygii, Tetrapodomorpha, Tetrapoda, Reptiliomorpha, Amniota, Synapsida, Therapsida, Mammalia, Eutriconodonta, Volaticotherini
    • When: ~ 164,000,000 B.C.E. (Callovian stage of the Middle Jurassic epoch)
    • Where: Asia (China (Inner Mongolia (Tiaojishan Formation)))
    • Size: About the same size as a large flying squirrel
    • Diet: Insectivore
    Volaticotherium was a flying squirrel 144 million years before there were flying squirrels. (By that I mean it looked and behaved like a flying squirrel, but was taxonomically unrelated.) This species was a glider not a flyer. Volaticotherium was densely covered by fur. The tail was flat, increasing the aerodynamics, and the limbs were proportionally long, comparable to those of modern flying and gliding mammals. The toes were built for grasping, as is expected for an arboreal mammal. Volaticotherium teeth were highly unusual, possessing long, curved, backwards-pointing cusps, possibly used for shearing; this, combined with the long canines, this indicates a carnivorous diet, which, given its small size, probably composed of insects. (Most gliding mammals are predominately herbivorous.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Mar 2019
  17. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Can you do my favorite prehistoric species, Basilosaurus? It is an incredibly l o n g e boi.

18. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have seen three species of flying squirrel and I think you're going to need to be a little more specific because "large flying squirrel" can imply quite a size range.

~Thylo

19. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

You say that, but I can think of at least a dozen extant cetacean species which are longer than, or of a size with, the species of which you speak :p

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  20. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

1166_basilosaurus_sameerprehistorica.jpg
    Tell me this lad isn't an absolute unit.