Join our zoo community

Hippotraginae Antelope (Sable, Roan & Oryx) In Zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Sarus Crane, 2 May 2020.

1. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So I was wondering after the discussion in the Giraffe poll I posted several days ago which subspecies of Sable, Roan and Oryx are in captivity today. I thought of this thread after seeing that multiple game breeders in Africa seem to have Sables of mixed descent such as some will be more West Zambian (kirkii) than Southern (niger) or others will be more Shimba (roosevelti) than West Zambian etc..... I know for a fact that the highly endangered Giant Sable (Hippotragus niger variani) of Angola unfortunately isn't in any collections. Are Sable and Roan that are housed in most AZA & EAZA institutions of pure descent or are they of mixed heritage like the ones bred on game farms in Africa? From my research it looks like most Sable in captivity are the subspecies niger while most Roan are the subspecies equinus. I've seen a few photos online of some Roan in European zoos looking like koba.

In terms of Oryx, I know that Scimitar and Arabian Oryx have been part of the SSP's for a long time because of their endangered status, but what about East African (beisa), Fringe Eared (callotis) & Gemsbok (gazella)? I know that NC Zoo houses Fringe-Eared and World Wildlife Zoo has East African, but are there any others? Maybe on some ranches in Texas? Last night I learned that New Mexico has a feral population of Gemsbok that was brought into the White Sands Missile Range between 1969-1977 and are now being sustainably culled (can be hunted) to prohibit possible excessive harm to the environment. Maybe these Oryx subspecies aren't being maintained because of space needed for Scimitars and Arabians?

I think it'd be great if more of these Hippotragines could be seen at more zoos because of their unique coat patterns and impressive horns. Personally, I wish the Blaubok (Blue Antelope, Hippotragus leucophaeus) had a chance at survival instead of going extinct. They would've made for a great South African mixed species exhibit alongside Blue Cranes, Black Wildebeest, Bontebok, Springbok and Southern White Rhinos. As for the Angolan Giant Sable, I think they could do great at facilities like the Wilds, White Oak, Fossil Rim or the San Diego Safari Park. From what I've been reading from the Angolan Field Group at Cangandala National Park and Luando Special Reserve, I think that the herds there are faring well, I feel its just safer to have a backup population as well.

Kifaru Bwana, TinoPup and Zorro like this.
  2. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have seen Gemsbok at SDZ Safari Park and also Wildlife Safari in Oregon. A statistic taken on Gemsbok from AZA ungulates: 23.58.5 (86) in 7 AZA (+2 non-AZA) institutions (2016)

Also from AZA ungulates for Roan: 43.68 (111) in 8 AZA (+ 2 non-AZA) institutions (2015)

For Sable: 43.105.1 (149) in 12 AZA (+3 non-AZA) institutions (2015)

Scimitar-horned Oryx for comparison: 87.139.3 (227) in 19 AZA institutions (2015)
    Arabian Oryx: 35.63 (98) in 8 AZA (+1 non-AZA) institutions (2014)

All five species are listed as yellow SSP's.

3. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

These are a few of the species I'm currently working on, though not at ssp level. I still need to do some states, including the big 3, but for Beisa at the species level I have: aloha zoo, north carolina zoo, rockin A ranch, pecks wildwood wildlife P&N center, natural bridge zoo (VA), tennessee safari park, the wilds, six flags great adventure, wildlife world zoo, and creation kingdom zoo. For gemsbok I've got zootastic of lake norman, metro richmond zoo, lake tobias wildlife park, bright's zoo, tennessee safari park, waccatee zoological farm, and out of africa wildlife park.

Kifaru Bwana and Sarus Crane like this.
  4. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

In Hungary:
    Sóstó Zoo keeps Sable antelope, Gemsbok and Addax,
    Zoo Győr has Roan antelope and Sable antelope,
    Zoo Szeged has Addax, kept Roan between 2008 and 2015.
    Wildpark Kecskemét keeps Addax,
    Zoo Debrecen has Scimitar oryx.
    Budapest Zoo kept Addax in 70-80's, Beisa between 1911 and 1944, Scimitar oryx in 1885 and 1896.
    Budapest Zoo has no Horse-like antelope now.

Kifaru Bwana and Sarus Crane like this.
  5. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Since when does Waccatee have it? Wildwood has Arabian.

7. TinoPup

Wildwood has Beisa, Scimitar-horned, Addax, and Arabian. Wildwood Wildlife Park
    I haven't confirmed Waccatee, they have very little online presence and the photos shared by others are difficult to look at.

Sarus Crane likes this.
  8. drill

drill Well-Known Member

if your source is earlier than last summer it's no longer there.

9. TinoPup

end of June.

10. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The wilds has Fringe-eared Oryx. Gemsbok are common in the private trade.

11. drill

drill Well-Known Member

thanks.

TinoPup likes this.