Join our zoo community

Historical book about Oregon Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by Jonas Livet, 6 Mar 2019.

1. Jonas Livet

Jonas Livet Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hello,

Is there any book available about the history and the development of Oregon Zoo in Portland?

I am aware of the thesis Extinction Breeds Innovation: A History of the Oregon Zoo by Anna Doty (2017) (which is actually available online at https://commons.cu-portland.edu/cgi...com/&httpsredir=1&article=1184&context=theses).

I have as well within my library the books Packy and Me from Matthew Maberry and Patricia Maberry (Maberry Press, Beaverton, 2011) and Elephant House from Dick Blau and Nigel Rothfels (The Pennsylvania State University Press, University Park, 2015).

But is there anything else? An illustrated historical account?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jonas

StoppableSan likes this.
  2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I do not know of any history book in regards to the Oregon Zoo and I have the two that you mentioned. Someone needs to write one! :)

3. Jonas Livet

Jonas Livet Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I read through the thesis "Extinction Breeds Innovation: A History of the Oregon Zoo" and I must admit it left me rather disappointed! It seems a missed opportunity! Let's hope somebody will write a proper history book about Oregon Zoo in the near future!

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Apparently not, but Woodland Park Zoo (Seattle) has an outstanding book. I bought it in their gift shop when I was there one year ago.

5. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There is an interesting article here about the history of the Oregon Zoo. It has a picture gallery with pictures of some of the exhibits from the 1950s that look like they were built for the Jetsons instead of penguins and polar bears. There is also a picture of "Skipper the Porpoise" who lived at the zoo in 1967.

Does anyone know where Skipper (who looks like a bottlenose dolphin rather than a porpoise in the photo) lived in the zoo?

Oregon Zoo