Join our zoo community

Burgers' Zoo Historical notes from Burgers' Zoo

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by PicanBird, 4 Aug 2020.

1. PicanBird

PicanBird Well-Known Member

Hi,

I saw other zoos having a thread for historical notes, and it started me to wonder about a few animal mentions on ZTL.

Does anyone happen to have any notes on the Snow leopards Burgers' used to house between 1960 and 1982?

Or something on the Oasis Hummingbird that was (likely) kept in the Desert?

2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They will have been kept where the Leopards are now. The ISB mentions two animals arriving from Helsinki in 1979, one died in 1982, the other lived in Arnhem until 1987. A third animal was imported from San Antonio in 1980 and died in December 1987. The 4th animal listed for Burgers' was an animal that was temporarily on loan from Krefeld in 1980. No breeding is recorded in the ISB.

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The only note I found was the arrival of a female from America in April 1980( must be the one from San Antonio which @lintworm already mentioned ) named Nadia and they planned to place it by the male already in the collection named Vodka.

4. vogelcommando

Also in Burger's 100-year anniversary book 'Burgers Zoo 1913 - 2013 - een familiebedrijf met passie voor dieren' the Snow leopard is mentioned. On side 176 you can read "In the 1970s snowleopards come to Arnhem and indirect they are responseble for European scoop. After a visit from a male from Burgers, a female at the Zoo from Krefeld gives birth to her first young".
    Don't understand this sentence because Krefeld bred the species already for the first time in 1966.

PicanBird likes this.
  5. PicanBird

I grabbed the book and it mentions that the male that caused that first breeding success was the one they had in Burgers'. After the male did his deed in Krefeld the male was moved back to Burgers'

6. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

When I first visited Burgers in the 1980's, I remember seeing 4 types of megapodes, none of which are listed in ZTL.

7. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Which spp?
    Burgers are listed on ZTL as a former holder of Australian Brush Turkey.
    I visited NL regularly at that time and remember Arfak Megapode, and ABT but no others - but dont recall which zoo, probably Blijdorp...

Dassie rat likes this.
  8. vogelcommando

Pygmy hippos at Burger's Zoo :

The beginning of keeping Pygmy hippo's started a little curious at Burger's. 1963 the Zoo had ordered a pair of Pygmy hippos and together with 6 other Pygmy hippos for other zoos the animals were brought by plain to the Netherlands. In the plain however one of the females gave birth to a young ! A male ( prob. not the father of the young ), the mother and the young were brought to Arnhem were the young was raised. In any case we can say that the first young was not born on the grounds of the zoo but in the air ;) !
    dwergnijlpaard arnhem Telegraaf April 16 1963.png
    ( newspaper-article Telegraaf April 16 1963 )

The animals did well at Burger's but evenso it took till 1968 before the first 'real' birth took place ( could have been even the dutch first breeding but not sure because I don't know the exact date of the birth and also Artis - Amsterdam bred the species the same year ). Only difference was that the young at Amsterdam got raised and the young at Arnhem was either born dead or died shortly after birth.
    1970 another young was born and this one survaived and from then on regularly young were born at Burger's:
    then a period I don''t have information about but
    Dec. 1981 again a young ( female ) was born :

pygmy hippo wit young Burgers dec. 1981.png
    ( Photo copyright ANP )

Then again a period from which I have no information ( even the International ZooYear Books from this period don't mention births but it could be that Burger's didn't provided info to the IZYB ).
    In the census of rare animal in this book it was in 1981 : 1.5 animals and 1990 : 2.3 animals.
    How this change in number happened ( births - deaths -exchanges ) I don't know.
    ZTL also provides only very little information:
    till 2017
    former breeding
    then some information about the last kept animals :
    2011 male Rambo sent to Plzen
    2017 female Paula send to Hoyerswerda
    Al together a quite long period in which Burger's was quite succesfull with the species and a pitty this species is not kept anymore at the zoo.

Last edited: 5 Aug 2020
    Jungle Man and PicanBird like this.
  9. PicanBird

Very true, I still believe the hippos would've fit somewhere else in the park aswell.

In the history of the zoo I often see images of bigger ASCO groups kept in the bush. However currently there is only 2. Any idea what happened to the others? Or why the zoo decided to only keep 2 at the moment?

10. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

To my knowledge the sole reason they keep 2 is because the pair just doesn't seem to get offspring, they do their attempts, they just aren't that succesful.

11. PicanBird

Currently doing some research on the amazon expo museum thingy that was outside the bush until 2010? Does anyone have pictures? It had a few diorama's, some taxidermied animals, etc.