Join our zoo community

Historical Thylacine Photos&Films

Discussion in 'Zoo History' started by thylacine1936, 1 Nov 2021.

1. thylacine1936

thylacine1936 Active Member

you know that they are in a guide which is public so this doesnt really matter

BenFoxster likes this.
  2. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

That's not how copyright law works

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

To the best of my knowledge, the only photo depicting the Zoo's last Thylacine is the second one shown above, with her yawning and a drainpipe behind her. Of seperate interest is that it is also one of only two photos that appears to show a Thylacine in a thicker seasonal(?) coat.

At least one of David Seth-Smith's photos show an animal with a damaged foreleg- this was certainly an earlier specimen and not the last one. I think these guidebooks during the last ZSL Thylacine's life for some reason probably all featured 'stock' photos of previous specimens and which all are already well known to Thylacine researchers.

4. thylacine1936

i know which photos he is talking about and they werent taken in the North Mammals House,only the last thylacine of the zoo was photographed there. All the other photos were either taken in the Kangaroo dens or in the Lemur House of the Zoo and they are older that 1926-1931

Pertinax likes this.
  5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When you are making a new guidebook, its often easier to just use existing stock photos of a past animal in the collection, rather than bother to try and get good shots of the current one...

thylacine1936 likes this.
  6. thylacine1936

is known that there are only 22 known photos from the London Zoo. You can check Dr. Sleightholme's paper "A Catalogue of the Thylacine captured in Film'' which lists 113 from the 118 known photos of the animal

Pertinax likes this.
  7. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I have now looked into this in more detail. Apologies: the photos in the guidebook are of earlier zoo thylacines not the individual living at the zoo between 1926 and 1931.

Pertinax likes this.