Join our zoo community

History of York's Wild Kingdom, Maine (formerly Animal Forest Park)

Discussion in 'Zoo History' started by CMTM, 28 Jan 2023.

1. CMTM

CMTM Well-Known Member

York's Wild Kingdom is an outdated but popular summer attraction in southern Maine that in addition to a small amusement park has a zoo. I used to visit as a child and recall species such as binturongs, southern cassowary, vervet monkey, and an elderly asian elephant.

The collection has obviously changed in the decade since my last visit but with how long they have been around I am curious as to what else they may have held formerly.

I found an old map online showing giraffes and crocodiles as well as an old home video showing a distressing california sealion pool.

Map:
    yorks.jpg

Video:

Does anyone have any old photographs or memories of York's Wild Kingdom?

Thank you.

2. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I used to visit York’s Wild Kingdom when I was a kid in the early 2000s (probably around 2005). I distinctly remember the Asian Elephant who, in addition to being a display animal, also gave rides. I remember riding her once when I was a little kid. The experience was magical, although I do not support elephant rides anymore.

Besides the elephant, I also vaguely seem to remember a small mesh exhibit for black bears (probably American Black Bears, but I’m not sure). Since I was so young back then it’s hard to remember other details. I think I do have some photos, but they are at my parents house so I likely won’t be able to upload anything for a few months until I see them again.

ifesbob likes this.
  3. CMTM

CMTM Well-Known Member

I remember the elephant well as I felt bad that she had to give kids rides all day (despite taking several rides myself as a child). I spent nearly an entire visit to the park one day annoying her keepers with questions to the point they let me meet her. Her name was Lydia, she had warts on her trunk, enjoyed painting, and her favorite food was cinnamon raisin bread.

I can also confirm that around that time they had two orphan american black bear cubs. I have no idea if they were actually orphans or if that was just the cover story the park went with. I remember watching a feeding/keeper talk where the keeper was in the enclosure with the two of them. The enclosure was basically a "corn crib" type cage that was oblong. as if two corn cribs had been conjoined. It was right at the park entrance and held monkeys on other visits.

This would have been around 2006-10 or so.

ZooElephantMan likes this.