Join our zoo community

History of Zoo Education

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by ZooChronicles, 23 Jun 2012.

1. ZooChronicles

ZooChronicles Member

Hi all,

I am working on starting a project looking in to how education in zoos has developed since the 19th centuary to becoming a major part of a zoos daily life. The questions I am hoping to answer are, When did it start becoming important, was it always important, how was it implamented in early zoo etc. etc.

If anyone has any information of were to look, knows of any leads I could follow I would be most gratefull. I have contact the major, oldest zoo's in the UK and Ireland for information.

Many thanks
    :):)

2. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Refine your definition of education.
    Do informative signs count? Or are you only interested in formal education (classes, lectures, etc)?

3. ZooChronicles

ZooChronicles Member

Thanks for the reply,

I am interested in education as a whole, so yes, early educational signs, leaflets, everthing that has led to how it is implimented today.

:)

4. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Paignton Zoo, after Herbert Whitley's death, assumed very much of an educational ethos -- conservation was not really mentioned in those days.
    I believe the now long-defunct Pan's Garden prided itself on multilingual exhibit labels.

5. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This may or may not be helpful, but the Association of Zoo and Aquarium Docents (or AZAD) was founded in 1985 (for USA zoos). I believe Los Angeles Zoo may have had the first docent program in USA (not sure the year though).

History of AZAD