Join our zoo community

Hix Does Uganda (Part I) - All But A Shoebill

Discussion in 'Uganda' started by Hix, 27 Jul 2013.

1. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

That's a lot of gear! That sounds like your entire hand luggage entitlement. Why the under water though? Uganda is landlocked. You doing some diving in Lake Victoria? :D

Why the Go Pro? You plan on doing some adrenaline-charged activities like white water rafting?

Yeah an all expenses paid tour is great. I went on one once where we paid the tips up front so we didn't have to stress a out who to tip, when to tip, how much to tip etc. By "drinks" I assume you mean alcoholic drinks.

2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Or maybe water:p

~Thylo:cool:

3. nanoboy

True, good point. Clean drinking water might cost more than alcohol in some parts of the world. I have also read (or maybe I saw it in the movie 'Lord of War') that in some parts of Africa, an AK-47 is cheaper than a loaf of bread.

4. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Bottled water is included in the price of the Safari. I don't drink alcohol, but I imagine I'll have to pay for Coca Cola.

The underwater camera is a contingency. I don't want to spend 8 hours climbing mountains, find the mountain gorillas and then get caught in a torrential downpour and be unable to take my camera out of my pack. The underwater camera is just incase that scenario happens.

The GoPro is small, and I use it mainly for video. When diving I have it on my chest, but I don't think I'll be doing much of that. If a situation arises whereby I can put it down on the ground alongside an animal trail, or by a bird feeder, I will use it for that.

As for hand luggage, the small lens and GoPro will be in my checked in baggage. But the cameras and my laptop generally take me a little over the hand luggage limit. I may try something else for this trip.

:p

Hix

5. nanoboy

Aha! So you are one of those guys who tries to fit a truck chassis in the overhead compartment! :p

6. Hix

Nope, I don't put anything in the overhead compartment. I shove it under the seat in front of me, and then I grumble that I can't stretch my feet out.

Hix

7. nanoboy

Yes, I seem to do that as well - but only because other travellers would have filled the overhead compartments with truck chassis.

8. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Hmmmm.... this makes it sound rather more trivial than is actually the case! (Even though I'd agree with your encouraging the poster to use Google to do some of his own research.)

Kony and his movement have bought enormous suffering to a large part of central Africa. The championing of the case by an American organisation with that whole "Kony 2012" thing was rather naive, perhaps, but did bring it the to forefront of the world's attention - if only "for about 1 week" as Nanoboy says.

The impact of Kony on the wildlife of the area is notable: Lord's Resistance Army funded by elephant poaching, report finds | Environment | theguardian.com.

Don't believe everything you read! There are about 55 countries in Africa. At the moment, just a handful of these are significantly more lawless and dangerous than, say, Belgium. Uganda certainly isn't one of them!

9. nanoboy

Kony is one of many, many warlords around the world. I counted 17 dangerous countries in Africa.

Who here has seen 'Blood Diamond'?

10. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

...which I suppose beggars the question of how one defines 'dangerous'. Anywhere can be dangerous, or safe - to a large extent it's a matter of luck, and personal behaviour. I don't think there's anything especially dangerous about Uganda (or most other places in Africa - Central African Republic and Somalia and other such places are the exceptions).

....not noted for it's documentary veracity, of course! Having recently seen the excellent John Hilcoat film The Proposition, I'm a bit worried about coming to Australia and being shot at by Guy Pearce and Ray Winstone....

11. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Much of Uganda is fine. The northeast area bordering Congo is having security problems because of spillover from the endless conflicts in Congo and from remnants of Kony's followers.

12. Hix

So am I.

Hix

13. nanoboy

From reading your posts Hix, I get the impression that you aren't married and don't have young kids.

Is that a fair assumption, or are they staying in Oz while you are away?

14. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hey Hix, will you be visiting the Uganda Wildlife Education Centre while in Uganda? They have Giant Forest Hog, you know!

~Thylo:cool:

15. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I've never got rabies shots for travelling. They are expensive and (apparently) painful, and all they do is give you a little more time to get to a hospital if you get bitten. They don't actually stop you getting rabies.

The only new shot I need to get for my current trip is Typhoid because that inoculation only lasts three years.

16. Chlidonias

my primary desire to go to Uganda was also due to reading about the Mountains of the Moon in Gorilla Adventure :)

17. Chlidonias

I don't know the current situation but when I was planning my Uganda trip several years ago (which still hasn't happened) you couldn't get money or change travellers cheques anywhere except in the capital. So unless you wanted to be carrying great wads of notes on your person for several months you would need to keep tracking back and forth from the capital every few weeks.

18. Hix

That is a fair assumption. It also a correct assumption.

Yes I know. My first two nights in Uganda will be spent at the UWEC. However, there is a national park where Giant Forest Hogs are regularly seen during the day - they appear to be more active and less shy than usual in this park (just can't remember where it is at the moment). So I hope to have plenty of photos of them in the wild. :) :) :)

Someone else said that, so I asked my doctor about it yesterday when I got my second rabies shot. And he said that the three I'm getting now will give me protection, and it is thought that it should be enough so that if I get bitten by a rabid animal I will be protected. But current policy is that because rabies is such a nasty little piece of work, if I get bitten by a rabid animal I get further treatment which consists of two more shots - just like the one I had yesterday (and a quick Google search confirmed this). And he stressed that nobody who has had the three initial vaccinations has ever died of rabies.

Incidentally, it's no more painful than any other type of vaccination.

Hix

19. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Having a family do no prohibit you of traveling to places other people think are ridiculously dangerous ;). Although planning a research trip to DRC even went too far for my wife (although this is not the reason the project is still in its planning phase).

Last edited: 31 Jul 2013
  20. Hix

As I mentioned in an earlier post, travelling with other people is something I have avoided for a number of reasons, but one of the benefits is not being forced to miss things I want to see in order to see something I'm not interested in.

When I was younger and the whole family went on holidays, I would try to visit the zoos alone but sometimes (like for San Diego Zoo) the family wanted to come along. Being non zoo or animal-type people they would often embarrass me by their behaviour.

In the past I have often been called "mad" for getting too close to a snake, or a rhino, or a shark, or some other dangerous animal. "Too close" was, of course, their definition based upon their own fears. And it wasn't always my family - it could be anyone who knows little about wildlife (and knows nothing about me).

So when the safari company told me I could join an existing tour through Uganda, I had mixed feelings - it would cost me a lot less, but I might be stuck with zoological ****** who would cramp my style.

So it was with considerable relief when I discovered that one of the three is a Zoochatter.

Seven billion people on the planet, but it's still a small world.

http://www.zoochat.com/173/sigma-150-500mm-f-5-6-a-329518/#post694793

I fly into Entebbe in exactly four weeks. The countdown is on.

Hix