Join our zoo community

Hix goes tropical again - Samoa Pt 2

Discussion in 'Samoa' started by Hix, 14 Sep 2012.

1. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Samoa Pt 2

Note: This is the conclusion to the http://www.zoochat.com/1816/hix-goes-tropical-again-tokelau-286969/ thread, which itself is a continuation of the http://www.zoochat.com/1814/hix-goes-tropical-again-samoa-pt-286331/ thread.

September 8th - 13th

The remaining five days of my holiday were largely uneventful. On Saturday morning, September 8, after a difficult night sleeping in the chair, I went outside for some fresh air and some warmth (the air conditioning inside actually had my teeth chattering several times during the night) and found I felt much better outside and standing up than I did inside. The boat ride back to Apia was not as rock-and-rolly as the voyage out, and after watching a homemade DVD of the womens groups of Atafu doing some precision marching I went back out on deck and could see the island of Upulu straight ahead. I also saw three brown boobies fishing, and wished I had my camera.

At 11:00am we docked, 25 hours after leaving Nukunonu. We waited half-an-hour for Customs, who spent all of ten seconds assessing us before allowing us to get off the boat and onto solid land. And after some running around to get my luggage, I eventually settled into a room at Aggie Grey's Hotel, probably the most upper-class hotel on the island. Unfortunately, Le Manumea where I had stayed before was booked out, as were a few other selections, so I went with the one I knew would have rooms.

Although the rooms were about a quarter the size of La Manumea (and twice the cost) the facilities were superb ad the staff quite motivated (a bit of a problem at La Manumea). The restaurants (they have two, plus a coffeeshop) were excellent and it was a nice change to eat something other than rice, taro and boiled banana.

Shortly after checking in I had my first real shower in three weeks, and had an opportunity to reflect on the abuse my body had taken over that time: on my left foot the base of my big toe was swollen and sore, and on the ball of my right foot was something that made walking painful at times. Both shins and knees had multiple cuts and scrapes, not to mention mosquito bites, my upper left thigh had a very nasty bruise that I have no idea how I got (and surprisingly wasn't painful at all), and the back of my right knee was still peeling from the sunburn. And there was a small scratch on my sternum where my t-shirt failed to protect me. My left hand has a nasty gash along the side of my little finger, the little finger also has a puncture in the tip I think was made by an urchin. The palm also has some small scratches and lacerations. My right hand has a painful gash at the base of the palm, and some smaller cuts on the second joints of the third and fourth fingers. I was familiar with all these cuts and lacerations, because in Tokelau the flies used to land on them to feed, an annoying habit. But by now, most of them had started to heal over and scab. But some were still a little itchy. And my left bum cheek hurt (the seats on the boat actually had seatbelts, but nobody wears them, and I think I slept on mine).

Then I looked in the mirror. I hadn't shaved in three weeks - although the beard was looking a little overgrown, I usually shave my cheeks and neck, and they were now sporting a long fur, making me look like a movie character in the transitional stage of changing into a werewolf. And my hair was unkempt and looked shocking. No wonder the staff at reception had given me such odd looks. So I washed my hair (with real shampoo) and shaved all the excess off my cheeks and neck, the beard will have to wait until I get home.

I tried to phone Air New Zealand to see if I could move my flight forward and get on the Saturday night flight, but their office had closed. When I spoke to them on the Monday about leaving on Monday night's flight, the costs incurred were roughly the same as remaining in Samoa until the flight I already had booked on Thursday. So I stayed.

I had originally booked my flight for Thursday morning (at 2:00am) in case the return voyage was delayed - one voyage earlier that month departed a week after scheduled. But because the voyage had left earlier than planned, I had an extra five days up my sleeve. I just had to be careful to make sure I didn't run out of money.

Over the next few days I went back to the flea market and bought the weapon that looked like a Samoan version of a Batlet'h, and then discovered it was a fraction too big for my suitcase, so I got it wrapped up and took it as extra luggage. I was going to go on a dive off the western tip of Upulu, but it got cancelled the day before. And I had a lobster for dinner one night, for the first time in years.

And so, on Wednesday night at 11pm a shuttle bus transferred me to the airport for my 1:50am flight to Auckland, and after two hours in Auckland I connected to my Sydney flight arriving at 8:30am.

By 11:00am I was at home, and an hour later was in bed, and fast asleep. Everything else could be taken care of over the next few days as I don't have to be back at work for five days.

And so here endeth the tayle.

:p

Hix

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      84.2 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      158.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

And once again, thanks to everyone who read the whole saga, I hope you all enjoyed it (and maybe even learnt something), and perhaps inspired some of you to go wandering away from the tourist route and to some of the more out-of-the-way places.

:p

Hix

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I certainly enjoyed it, so thank-you for writing it :)

4. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Me too, and yes, most certainly inspired!

Never felt so sad at the end of someone else's holiday! ;)

5. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

I've really enjoyed reading about your journey. Glad your're home safe and sound. :)