Join our zoo community

Monarto Safari Park Hog Deer

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Reptile Lover, 26 Aug 2008.

1. Reptile Lover

Reptile Lover Well-Known Member

On the Zoos SA website in the Monarto Zoo animal section it says about hog deer. I checked on isis but it wasn't there. Does everyone have any information if they do have them, when the last died and other info. Thanks.

2. Django

Django Active Member

Hog deer are still found feral along the south Gippsland coast. They are small, fairly secretive deer that live in pairs, not an ideal display species. OTOH they are endangered in their natural environment, and if their feral population was threatened here, there would be a good argument for Aussie zoos taking them on. If Monarto have them, it is the first time I've heard of an Aussie zoo exhibiting them.

3. Reptile Lover

Reptile Lover Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.

4. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Not quite right there with the description. They aren't the largest deer in the world, but they are medium-sized (slightly smaller than chital). They are fairly dull in colouration, and so don't compare aesthetically well with chital either. They are however a herd species so this would not cause any problems for display purposes. Their natural habitat is tall marshy grasslands, so they appreciate a denser planted paddock than chital, reds and fallow. I would be surprised if hog deer have never been displayed (possibly Dubbo in the early days), but it would be more likely at one of the deer parks if anywhere.

It has been recognised that the feral Australian population could be considered important in the global context of the species, much like the feral banteng in the Northern Territory. Hog deer would work okay as a mixed species exhibit with water buffalo, sambar or blackbuck (just not chital - hybridisation).

5. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

I dont ever remember Hog deer being at Dubbo

6. tetrapod

Was just a thought...

7. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hog Deer are mostly solitary because in their marshy grasland habitat it would be too hard to move around as a herd. I am suprised that Monarto keep them because I wasn't aware that any Australian Zoos had any.
    Australia doesn't have and duiker, muntjac or pudu so this is the closest things that we have to a small ungulate and I think would be a good display species.

8. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Altina Wildlife Park have them.

Welcome to the Altina Wildlife Park

There are a few private places with them as well. I have seen them advertised in the Weekly Times for $1,000 each

9. tetrapod

I am quite amazed that Altina have maned wolf, prewalski's and giraffe.

As for hog deer, most zoos would not look twice at them, let alone the public. The only interest value is due to the status of the species in the wild. I could only see an open-range collection add them to a mixed exhibit.

10. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Altina have some of the species they do because they are prepared to run bacholer groups for excess males. I know that is the case for the Giraffe and Maned Wolf.

11. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

....and more power to Altina Wildlife Park for doing that. It keeps the numbers up in Australia, and provides a back-up genetic pool if required.

12. Bec.Surian

Bec.Surian Well-Known Member

Yes at Altina we have close to approx 20 breeding hog deer on display and we breed them every year we have also just recently sent our bachelor herd to Halls Gap Zoo! A giant thanks to Halls gap for freeing up some space for us and displaying these awesome deer!
    They naturally very skittish, extremely hard to handle and stress very easily do it is a challenge to any zoo to hold and manage these animals. To see them visit Altina and Halls Gap!