Join our zoo community

Hogle Zoo Hogle Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 20 Jun 2008.

Tags:
  1. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

It will be interesting to see if funding is approved for yet another North American polar bear exhibit. Utah's Hogle Zoo supposedly has an impressive selection of felines, and 2005's "Elephant Encounter" and 2006's "Asian Highlands" illustrate that the zoo is moving in the right direction in terms of modern, naturalistic enclosures.

3. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I've never really considered their feline collection (at least that which remained after the closing of the old Feline Building) as impressive. Although if I think about it, they have sand cats, black-footed cats, Arabian wild cats, cheetahs, Pallas' cats, Siberian lynx, Canada lynx, bobcats, pumas, snow leopards, Amur leopards and Amur tigers.

The Elephant Encounter and Asian Highlands exhibits are really nice renovations of quite horrible exhibits/buildings. The Primate Forest exhibit is another favorite of mine.

I hope funding is secured for their coming renovations. Beyond the Arctic exhibit they also would like to build a new forest habitat for their gorillas and orangs, and also a new large African Savannah right at the entry.

StoppableSan likes this.
  4. snowleopard

5. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

If I read that article right, it's $85million ($20million matching funds from the zoo)

6. snowleopard

Cheers Zooplantman, as you are right about the dollar figure of $85 million. $20 million will be from private funds, in the public-private partnership envisioned by the zoo.

The book "America's Best Zoos" lists the zoo in the top 10 in North America for its cat collection, and Ituri has already listed 12 feline species that reside at the zoo. For a fairly small zoo (900 animals) they certainly have grand aspirations.

7. snowleopard

Zoo requesting $33 million bond - Community

The dollar figures for the zoo's bond seem to have altered over time...if judging by the above postings. However, the zoo does seem determined to create some exciting new exhibits, and that naturally means that yet another polar bear habitat will be constructed in North America.

8. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I wish them luck.

Will voters approve a bond issue in these economic times? Maybe.
    But municipalities and states are having a very hard time selling the bonds that have already been approved...so no new funding available!
    It's been a long tortuous road for the Hogle Zoo with this bond proposal and it won't end on November 11 (do I have the date correct?)

9. BlackRhino

BlackRhino Well-Known Member

I have heard that this zoo has a great Snow Leopard and Amur Tiger exhibits.. By reading about Asian Highlands in Americas Best Zoos Asian Highlands sounds fantastic and so does the Elephant Encounter and White Rhino exhibit. Once their new Arctic exhibit is complete this will be a fantastic zoo.

10. snowleopard

11. snowleopard

Elephant calf might help continue zoo's attendance spike - Salt Lake Tribune

Utah's Hogle Zoo has been making great strides in recent years, as the 2005 opening of "Elephant Encounter" and the 2006 opening of "Asian Highlands" has generated interest in the attraction, and in 2008 the zoo came within a whisker of having one million visitors. A baby elephant is on the way, along with plans for an Arctic area (soon!) as well as a veterinary hospital and an expanded African savanna.

12. okapikpr

13. snowleopard

14. okapikpr

15. okapikpr

16. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I've been keeping an eye on this project since I first heard about it early this year. Kind of surprised that they aren't working lemurs of any kind into it, but it is a rather small space. I was also glad to see the opening date be so early, May 16th.

17. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Thats interesting being an AI breeding and the calf is a female

19. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That is good to hear that the calf was born and there are plans for expansion. The zoo seems pretty dated to me. Some of the exhibits were old and had relatively few animals in them.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. Buckeye092

Buckeye092 Well-Known Member

YAY! A girl!!! I actually wasn't expecting this baby so soon but I'm glad everything went well!