Join our zoo community

Holders of white lions/tigers in Europe

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by JoeDK14, 4 Apr 2018.

?

Do u agree with keeping white tigers and lions.

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. JoeDK14

JoeDK14 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don’t have any real info on this subject at all was just wondering if anyone else did.

I really want to see how inbred the population of both cats has become after so many years of breeding.

Thanks, Joe

2. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

How can I vote in the poll with just these two options, when I would keep white lions but not white tigers?

Mai Thai likes this.
  3. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Please add also the option:
    "Yes, as far as it doen't result in inbreeding defects and subspecies/species hybrids"

4. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

According to ZTL, many zoos have lions and/or tigers.
    Lions: No subspecies status (218); Southeast African (51); Asiatic (45); Barbary (30); Southeast African (22); Kalahari (5); Somali (1)
    Tiger: Siberian (180); No subspecies status (162) Sumatran (58); Malayan (8)

That's a lot of big cats with little or no hope of being released into the wild. These big cat species should be saved in the wild and are occupying zoo space to make money for the zoos. That is the same reason that many zoos keep white lions and white tigers, because many visitors think they are more attractive than ordinary lions and tigers and the money can be used to conserve animals in the wild. Perhaps there should be a discussion about how many zoos keep lions and tigers of no subspecies status, as they are just as irrelevant to conservation as are white lions and white tigers, although the pure subspecies are unlikely to be released either.