Join our zoo community

Hoo Farm Hoo Farm news

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 22 Jul 2015.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member

2. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

I think the biggest news here is that someone actually thought the name "Hoo Farm" was a good idea.

Is it in a hamlet that represents everything the Grinch hates?
    Is it run by a Doctor?
    If it's the direct object, is it Hoom Farm?

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member

Hoo is a very old english name, often refers to a 'place'. Chances are this farm has been named this way for centuries.

I find it interesting that warthog are now percolating down to smaller set-ups like this- not a critisism, and it was perhaps bound to happen with a free-breeding species.

4. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

I agree; I would have half-expected red river hogs to beat them to it (given their appearance and controversy over surplus animals), but perhaps warthogs were a more obvious choice to follow the popularity of meerkats?

5. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Have to wonder how long before they start doing a meet the Warthog encounter,as the place does it with almost all the other animals they have including a hand reared Caracal.

6. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. Premium Member

Seem to remember from some Sutton Hoo discussion that 'hoo' refers to a ridge or peninsula of some sort. Could be a very old name.

7. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Is this place any good? I know we all define "good" differently, but is it a seriously-run place with a professional outlook and approach?

8. zoogiraffe

If you want to fed it and cuddle it then this is the place with one of there encounters,as for serious yes they are serious about making as much money as they can!I know for a fact in the past they have built an enclosure finished and then seen what they can get to go in it!!

9. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

This isn't as uncommon as you would think! I have heard of many many places doing that, not the best situation but sometimes that's the way some budgets work.

10. zoogiraffe

True I know it happens in other places as well,but it seems to happen with 90% of the new builds at this place,perhaps they should get in touch with the place they bought the Servals from before they start building and see what they are selling!!!And then agree to buy that and then actually purpose build something for a known new arrival for once!

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member

Well said!

12. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member

A statement on the Hoo Farm's facebook page says "We are extremely excited to announce that during 2016 we hope to welcome Cheetah to Hoo Farm Animal Kingdom.

They are coming in as we strongly believe in Conservation through Education and the Cheetah is an instantly recognisable animal that needs all the help it can get due to its delicate situation in the wild.
    We will be crowdfunding this project as due to being a small family run business, we simply cannot afford the high price of the enclosure"

13. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member Premium Member

14. MagpieGoose

15. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member Premium Member

16. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member

Crowdfunding has raised £637 of the £100,000 they need for the Cheetah enclosure.

Hoo Cheetah Project

Anyone seen the fishing cats yet?

17. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member

I saw the fishing cats on my first visit back in April this year but only one when visiting in August. Also of note the Giant Flying squirrel had recently passed away on our second visit, and they had two African civets in the old caracal enclosure.

18. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member

More African civets? And these are a lot more accessible than Axe Valley! Does anyone know if they've had any other new species added as ztl isn't up to date by the looks of things?

19. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member

They have two young Binturong, not sure if these are on show yet: They weren't when we visited but were brought out for experiences. They also have a brushtail possum which is next door to the Gambian pouched rat.

Brum likes this.
  20. MagpieGoose

Visited today for the first time in a year and the 'Rivers and Rainforests' exhibit has now been refurbished and changed it's name to 'Rivers, Rainforests and Deserts'. Currently these species are labelled:
    African Rock Python, Nile Monitor, Reticulated Python, Green Iguana, False Water Cobra, Fruit Beetle, Flat Rock Scorpion, Giant Centipede, Giant Millipede, Green-bottle Tarantula, Chilean Rose Tarantula, Gila Monster, Boa Constrictor, Red-Bellied Piranha, Green Anaconda, Yellow Anaconda, Burmese Python, Brushtail Possum, Spectacled Caiman, Lesser Hedgehog Tenerec, Tokay Gecko, Ousalet's Chameleon, Carpet Python, D'Albert's Python and Bosc Monitor.

Other species in there not labelled are: Red-Footed Tortoise, Catfish (No idea on species), Mississippi Map Turtle, Yellow-Bellied Slider and some type of fish (as seen here: Fish Species? | ZooChat)

I think the improvements to the reptile exhibitions are very good and a large improvement from my previous visit. The refurb has given the Speccy Caiman more space and the Retics and Burmese Python have moved into what was the Gambian Pouched Rat enclosure which has been split in half for them. It is also a bit more of a nocturnal house being dark and lit with red lights, so hard to see and photograph. The African Civets were also a delight! As were the Palawan Binturong, which are now on show (Male in former Giant Flying Squirrel enclosure; Female in the former Genet enclosure). Sadly, the last Warthog died so now their former enclosure has a domestic pig and her piglets in. Some new Parrot aviaries have been built housing Galahs, Sulphur-Breasted Cockatoo and Umbrella Cockatoo. The caracal is now by the Wallaby Walkthrough and most recently built Lemur enclosure and as mentioned by migdog, the African Civets are in his old enclosure.
    Will upload some photos to the gallery now.

Brum and devilfish like this.