Join our zoo community

ZSL London Zoo Hornbills at ZSL.

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Pertinax, 10 Jul 2007.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So what hornbills should I have seen at ZSL?

2. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

Did you go to whipsnade?

if you did then

Black and white casqued
    Tarictic
    Great indian
    Temminck's ( South sulawesi, sulawesi tarictic)
    Abysininan ground hornbill
    Malayan Black

The greats may have moved on and the black and white casqued hornbill was very old, so I wouldn't be surprised if she has died.

3. Pertinax

No, only London.

I saw Malayan Black- pair in avairies near Snowdon Aviary. Showing interest in their nest box.

Also one Tarictic and one b/w Casqued(together) in avairy outside Parrot House- from Whipsnade?

4. Pertinax

Also one Ground Hornbill(blue pouch- is red or blue skin a sex or subspecies difference?) in Monkey enclosure- mixed exhibit.

5. ^Chris^

^Chris^ Well-Known Member

6. Writhedhornbill

Yes that's it!! There is a small group of them in that aviary.

Did you see the female woolly necked stork?

7. Pertinax

8. Pertinax

Nope. Can you enlighten me about the Ground Hornbills though? I've never been sure if the Blue or Red facial skin indicates the subspecies, or the sex of the bird? I'm sure you would know....;)

9. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Red and blue is a different subspecies, one is the northern and one is the southern...

Abyssinian Ground-hornbill Bucorvus abyssinicus (also known as Northern Ground-hornbill) is the one with the blue skin and the Southern Ground-hornbill Bucorvus leadbeateri is the one with the red skin.

10. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

One of the male Von der Decken's Hornbills decided my sports bag would be a great nest site and spent several minutes looking for a way in. Eventually he got fed up and hopped away.

One of the other males was attempting to feed his mate. He had not quite got the hang of it. He often took food to the wrong nest box, and just as often offered the female a beak full of leaves. Obviously his first breeding attempt.

11. Pertinax

Many thanks for that. years ago I somehow assumed it was a sexual difference and have never quite been able to put that idea to rest!

12. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It took me years to work out which was which with Black-footed and Humboldt's Penguins.

13. Pertinax

Just in case you try it sometime, a warning that you can't possibly do Whipsnade and London together in one day( I know your above question doesn't suggest that.) but all I'm saying is you really need a whole day for Whipsnade, and at least a half day, but preferably a whole one- for London.

14. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

agreed. which primate species is mixed witht he ground hornbills? does th butterfly area still exist? and are red pandas back in regents park yet?

15. Pertinax

The Ground Hornbill (I only saw one) was alone in one of the inside Sobell dens.. It is mixed(?) with the Diana monkeys in the outdoor enclosure which has been completely redesigned(see above) This enclosure combines the area formerly taken up by the two old (rectangular) outdoor enclosures which were nearest to the elephant house. The Dianas use the den opposite the Gorillas, the Hornbill(s) use the one on the other side- both now access the single large outside area.

Can't answer the other two questions, I'm afraid.

16. Writhedhornbill

I've seen lots of species mixed with ground hornbills.
    Marabou storks
    Kori bustard
    Turkey vulture
    Ruppel's griffon vulture

They seem to get along well with other species. I have put a picture of a ground hornbill at london on the gallery. It was a whle ago, so you might need a little search!!

17. Pertinax

Hornbilly- another question for you. Where in the UK keeps Rhinoceros Hornbills nowadays. Anywhere? They are fantastic looking birds and I've seen them in at least one UK collection in the past but I can't remember where.

18. Pertinax

Regarding Ground Hornbills(I did see your photo incidentally) which are very interesting birds...

Cricket St Thomas Wildlife Park in Somerset bred three last year- they hatched four but the only male chick was euthansed later from complications of a deformed leg. The other 3 were successfully raised by hand and all proved female.. I don't know where they were sent to. Apparently a nesting pair is often assisted by another bird(male?) in rearing the young. Did you now that already?

19. Writhedhornbill

Chester, paignton, Both of these collections keep them, but Chester is the only zoo in the UK and maybe in europe, to have bred the species. I'll start a new thread about hornbills in Uk zoos.

I'd don't know much about ground hornbills, as frankly, I don't like them much. Writhed hornbills on the other hand.......................