Join our zoo community

Horniman Museum and Gardens Horniman Museum and Gardens News

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by vogelcommando, 18 Mar 2019.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was passing by the Horniman Museum 2day,and decided to pop in on such a gorgeous spring Friday. Alas,the place was full of primary school children,so I could hardly get to photograph the aquarium.
    Heres what I saw: Aquarium:

Anemones:
    Plumose,Daisy,Dahlia,Snakelocks,Beadlet,Rittori.
    Corals: Brain,Feather Duster,Branching,Bird Nest,Staghorn,Leather,Branching & Purple,Plating & Branching,Hump.
    Urchins: Longspine,Orange Spine.
    Starfish: Common,Sand-shifting.
    Fishes: Rudd,Common Goby,Crucian Carp,Three-spine Stickleback,Tench,Orange Clownfish,Algae Blenny,Coral Beauty,Shrimpfish,Pyjama Cardinal,Pyjama Butterfly,Purple Queen Anthia,Dispar Anthia,Green Chromis,Longhorn Cowfish,Starck's Damoiselle,Pacific Sailfin Tang,Copperband Butterfly,Longnose Hawkfish,Okinawa Goby,Foxface Rabbitfish,Regal Tang (Dory?),Flame Angelfish,Scalefin Anthia,White-spotted Surgeonfish,Banggai Cardinalfish,Lipstick Tang,Longnose Butterfly,Twig Catfish,Discus,X Ray Tetra,Rummynose Tetra,Cardinal Tetra,Spotted Hopis,Ram (mikrogeophagus ramirezi).
    Clams: Smooth Giant.
    Crustaceans: White-striped Cleaner Shrimp,Sally Lightfoot Crab.
    Gastropods: Great Ramshorn snail,''Branced?'' Trachus snail.
    Amphibians: Smooth Newt,Common Frog,Pool Frog,Common Toad,Amazon Milk Frog,Dyeing Poison Dart,Blue Poison Dart,Green Poison Dart.

AWP likes this.
  3. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The small hot butterfly house had advetised as either either fluttering around or in pupae stages: The Butterfly House is on an apparent timed visit,but I went in later time,with an OK from the girl there.

Owl (the most abundant),Blue Morpho,Postman,Monarch,Chocolate Pansy,Leopard Lacewing,Cyndro Longwing,Scarlet Mormon,Brown Clipper,Plain Tiger,Red Lacewing,Arcas Cattlehead,Blue Clipper,India Leafwing,Asian Swallowtail,Great Orangetip,Large Tree Nymph,Tailed Jay,Common Mormon,Common Lime Swallowtail,Glasswing,Hecales Longwing,and Zebra Longwing.
    I must stress less than half of these,but a good amount,were fluttering around.

There was a few natives fluttering outside in the park whilst I was picnicking (Brimstone,Small Cabbage White,Green-viened White,Peacock) that was pleasant to also see.

AWP, FunkyGibbon and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  4. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So no Agalychnis tree frogs anymore? I was thinking about visiting Horniman later this year when I'm in London, but the four species of Agalychnis tree frogs that were listed on Zootierliste were the main reason I was considering a visit.