Join our zoo community

United Kingdom Hotham Park Zoo, Bognor Regis

Discussion in 'Zoo History' started by sooty mangabey, 15 Feb 2009.

1. Pacu

Pacu Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for the positive comments about the book, I'm glad you enjoyed it Hothamfan. It has been well received locally and raised a bit of money for Hotham Park Heritage Trust and Bognor Museum already.

2. Pacu

'July, 1955 family caravan holiday, Pagham, Sussex - a set on Flickr' - they're great aren't they. Five are from Hotham Park Pets' Corner. There's another one too where they are feeding rabbits, in the complete set that I wondered about; it is with a different set but may have been misplaced.

3. hothamfan

hothamfan Well-Known Member

Pacu, had a look, you're reckoning I've missed a rabbit pic. Can you say which set. I see five individual pics, in total. One is duplicated Is there a sixth?

BTW: I've jsut added some new pics to my Flickr

My fav:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40770745@N06/8515410193

Last edited: 1 Mar 2013
  4. Pacu

I'll message you. Great collection of photos you are building up on Flickr. Isn't the boating lake shallow!

5. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

I believe a Drill went to Hotham from Chessington Zoo - where it was born , I think a male and I am sure a Chimp also went with it !? (I would have to check my records to be sure). I think this was around the mid-1950s ?

6. Pacu

I believe the Drill was male and did come from Chessington but do not have any reliable evidence to prove it. The only chimps recorded at Hotham Park were there later and came from Chester and Howletts. If you do have any evidence of a chimp before this I would be keen to know the details.

7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would also be very tempted to speculate this was the same male Drill that ended up at Drusillas and died in the early 1970's. Somewhere along the way he was castrated. It seems perhaps a very unlikely species for Drusillas to have acquired otherwise, though you could say the same about Hotham too I suppose.

8. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Yes I will look through my notes about it when i get a chance, I have ordered your book so I am eagerly waiting for it to arrive.
    I have PM`d you about something else.

9. hothamfan

Monty Python filmed in Hotham Park 1971

Monty Python in Hotham Park - a set on Flickr

Pacu tells me...

Monty Python filmed in Hotham Park in 1971

See the sketches on Youtube. Shows a fleeting glimpse of the penguin Pool, and hte Dovecote.

October 1971.

Youtube

'Struggle for Life and death'

and

"Penguin Research"

10. jaycat62

jaycat62 Member

Nice find :)

11. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

12. jaycat62

jaycat62 Member

Love the candlestick maker too, such memories!

13. hothamfan

I've jsut been told of 4-5 more Hotham Park pictures, from a freind. From his family album. Will put these up as soon as I have them, these Monty Python screen-grabs for now...

Attached Files:

14. marcs

marcs New Member

I used to work on the ' bumper boats ' many many years ago during the school holidays with mark galpin and Martin simmerling they were great days

15. hothamfan

Great, were the boats battery operated or did they run petrol/deisel engines?

I take it you've seen this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/40770745@N06/sets/72157645193957143/

Were you there in the era of the zoo, and the larger pedal go-karts or are we talking later than that. We'd love to hear of more of your memories...

Were you employed by the Parks Dept or was there an operator running it?

Do you have any pics?

Last edited: 13 Jun 2014
  16. marcs

marcs New Member

No pics I'm afraid boats were electric and charged mainly overnight it was run by a husband and wife team unfortunately can't remember their names zoo was there and the large go karts I'd forgotten about the bridge though.
    Funnily enough many years after it all closed I was in a band and we played at what was then called rainbows end lol

17. hothamfan

Thank you marcs. Only today I've added two more 'Bumper Boat' pics. And Pacu came thru' witha Deer piccy.

Leccy? OK. Now you mention it, even to me as a 9-10 year old boy, it seemed they were gutless things! Mid 70s?

Your band later played at Rainbow's End, Twas your big break was it? I take it by then we're talking 80s? I'm 53, how old are you? I only ask to get an idea of dateline.

Last edited: 17 Jun 2014
  18. jaycat62

jaycat62 Member

What's the book I see mentioned? Where can I buy it? :)

19. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/books/dp/1447816293]Bognor's Zoo: Amazon.co.uk: Joe Mersey: 9781447816294: Books[/ame]

It's certainly worth reading if you have an interest in the zoo although it would - of course - been good to have had even more detail and a greater number of pictures.

20. Pacu

Thank you Sooty Mangabey. I could now add another chapter including the postcards that have been published, Since publication I have uncovered a little more information and images and have also been sent some more photographs as a result of the talks I have done locally. For example I have a photo of one of the camels and the zebra during their circus days which I will load separately. If I ever did make a second edition, would you be kind enough to let me use your photos of the fox and lion cub? They would be a worthy addition.