Join our zoo community

Housing Macaques with Herpes-B virus in Zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by The Vegan, 10 Nov 2013.

1. persimon

persimon Well-Known Member

Lion tailed are not being phased out in the AZA, but the problem is that the youngest female is 18 years old. Managemet in the past years was "not optimal", with many animals being contracepted and few zoos having interest in the species. Now they want to start again, and need to import new animals.

2. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Zoo Menorca on Minorca has as their highlight species crab eating macaques rescued with the help of a dutch animal sanctuary AAP, they are displayed behind glass, but I didn't see any sign of a mention of hep.B.

Attached Files:

3. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I hadn't realized. I stayed at that exhibit longer in Detroit thinking I wouldn't have many more chances to see them. How easy is it to import a species like that?

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I don't know but there are thriving colonies in European Zoos- some contracepted but others still freely breeding so new young animals would not be difficult to source.

5. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Here's hoping the US can source some more someday.

6. persimon

persimon Well-Known Member

Once it is sure that US zoos can take animals (including bachelor groups), I am sure that the EEP can/will breed more and make animals available. There are also good contacts with Indian zoos, and plans for a world-wide collaboration.

7. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Toronto has a two groups of Lion Tailed Macaques. A male with two females (one of which was inbred) are on exhibit while the male and inbreed females two young (a male and female) are off exhibit together. The older females are 24 and 25 but the young female is 10. She should go somewhere to breed. The zoo just transferred out two other adults. They were an inbreed brother sister pair. The male was sterilized but the female wasnt. Shes 15. No clue where they ended up.