Join our zoo community

Houston Zoo Houston Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United States' started by Trowaman, 17 Jan 2020.

Tags:
  1. Xenarthra

Xenarthra Well-Known Member

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this thread, I was following the development of this complex and then sort of forgot about it in the midst of all 2020 has thrown at us. It looks fantastic :D

Never been to Houston in my life, but this alone is more than enough to convince me. The Pantanal features some of my favorite fauna, and seeing anteaters, giant otters, and jaguars in such great accommodations is exciting!

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am also really looking forward to the Galapagos themed area next year!

9030 and StoppableSan like this.
  3. Austin the Sengi

Austin the Sengi Well-Known Member

You guys now realize we only have six days (as of 04/10/20) left till the Pantanal exhibit officially opens.

bgeezle513 and StoppableSan like this.
  4. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What you all been waiting for!! The zoo did a walkthrough of the pantanal exhibit!!

5. John Marchwick

here’s my overall impression. The Jaguar exhibit: No doubt in my mind it’s one of the biggest, lushest, and best exhibit of their kind in the country. Period. The giant otter exhibit is incredible. They did it similar to the Los Angeles Zoo meaning they also did the illusion where it looks live schools of fish and string rays share the same exhibit with their otters but obviously they don’t. The grasslands part of the exhibit is in my mind the best zoo exhibit I’ve seen in modern day history. It’s innovative, it’s bold, it’s unique, and it’s one of a kind. That turned out REALLY impressive. However, they did a mixed howler monkey/golden lion tamarin/ Agouti exhibit. That exhibit I’m honestly not a big fan of. The Hyancith macaw/blue billed currassow exhibit didn’t turn out the best either in my opinion. But overall I think this is a VERY impressive addition to the zoo. There’s some things that could be improved yes but considering this type of habitat has never been done in a zoo before my overall rating of it is a 97/100

9030, Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  6. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It's a little hard to tell depth, but that looks like one of the largest big cat exhibits in the country, especially for a lone animal

7. Matt G

Matt G Well-Known Member

That's got to be the most amazing exhibit based on South America I've ever seen.

8. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Have you walked through it or is this based on a video?

bgeezle513, Ituri and StoppableSan like this.
  9. John Marchwick

You do realize the public still hasn’t seen it right? I’m just going off of what I saw in the walkthrough posted by the zoo and photos I have seen online. It’s the most impressive South America themed exhibit I’ve ever seen in a zoo. Do I think some of the exhibits could use a bit of improvement. Yes but overall, this is a great addition to the zoo

StoppableSan likes this.
  10. ctfctf7

ctfctf7 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It looks like they really utilized the space well! It looks massive compared to what the space previously held.

StoppableSan likes this.
  11. John Marchwick

I absolutely believe they did utilize the space well. I only have small issues with it. The blue billed curassow and the hyancith macaw exhibit didn’t look like they had much shade in their exhibit. And the black howler monkey/agouti/golden lion tamarin exhibit in my mind I only have a slight issue with is because I don’t the exhibit compromises all of the animals needs that live in their. For instance, the golden lion tamarins I think need to have more vegetation for them, and the agoutis I would’ve thought they had some part of the habitat that would be designed for their needs but it’s just little things. This project was defiantly not a waste of money and it’s something Houston Zoo should be very proud of

9030 and StoppableSan like this.
  12. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Actually member opening is today I believe and many people have gotten previews.

StoppableSan likes this.
  13. John Marchwick

Ok well until TODAY the public hasn’t been able to get previews of it much

14. John Marchwick

9030, bgeezle513 and StoppableSan like this.
  15. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They could've incorporated Jabirus into the Pantanal exhibit. What they could've done is added an extra exhibit where they mixed the Capybaras in with a 1.1 pair of Jabiru. It would've been great to showcase South America's tallest flying bird since there have been a few Jabiru sightings in south Texas over the years. Overall, I think the exhibit looks fantastic. I don't know why they couldn't have designed the macaw and curassow exhibit to be a walk through like the wader aviary (old Shoebill exhibit). The Jaguar exhibit looks incredible and the Giant Otter viewing area is really well themed. The only thing missing is a restaurant like Range of the Jaguar in Jacksonville. My favorite part of the exhibit would be the one with the Baird's Tapir, Capybara, Greater Rheas, Crested Screamers and Coscoroba Swans. From what I've seen in the videos I'd rate it a 85/100 species wise and 95/100 theming wise.

John Marchwick and StoppableSan like this.
  16. John Marchwick

@Sarus Crane I didn’t even think about putting the walkthrough for the macaws and the currassows! That would’ve been awesome if they did!! My favorite exhibit in the pantanal would be the Jaguar exhibit. It’s cunning and a very impressive exhibit and I’m pretty sure just outdated every jaguar exhibit in the United States.

17. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don’t think every aviary has too be a walkthrough aviary to be completely honest. The zoo already has several. Macaws are occasionally in walkthrough aviaries but often times are unable to fly at many zoos. I mean besides behavior from a management point it will likely disturb the birds less, both of which are species that have breeding programs.

Kudu21 and StoppableSan like this.
  18. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

*laughs in Range of the Jaguar, Jaguar Cove and Big Cat Falls*
    But for real though, the Jaguar exhibit appears to be absolutely superb, the detail is tremendous, the plants were allowed to grow allowing for a truly immersive experience, LOVE the idea of the boardwalk near the pond, overall a fantastic and unique exhibit that will surely elevate Houston's status among the great jaguar exhibits in the nation.

John Marchwick likes this.
  19. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

From the video: very well done exhibit. One question: how much running space the rhea have? How much the yard continues to the back?

I am in love of the last Tapir & co paddock. I only doubt the lush vegetation will last. Giant otters are fascinating as always and they should be the stars.

And kudos for the Houston zoo for making a walk-through video! I wish all zoos did that for their new exhibits.

StoppableSan likes this.
  20. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Having worked with both species, I can say that neither are species that I’d want anywhere near a walk-through enclosure.... Especially not if they’re meant to be in a breeding situation.