Join our zoo community

Houston Zoo Houston Zoo News 2021

Discussion in 'United States' started by Zoofan15, 2 Jan 2021.

Tags:
  1. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. Trowaman

Trowaman Well-Known Member

As had been rumored (was mentioned once on their website last year and deleted), Penguins will be coming to the Houston Zoo next year in the Galapagos expansion. They will be Humboldt Penguins.

Galápagos Islands, The Houston Zoo

3. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Rather weird concept - especially that the point of Galapagos is that its wildlife is DIFFERENT from anywhere else.

StoppableSan likes this.
  4. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

5. The Speeding Carnotaurus

The Speeding Carnotaurus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Personally, I think it could work to their advantage if comparisons were properly drawn. A focus on the evolution of Galapagos species (comparing a mainland iguana species to the Galapagos marine iguana for example and discussing island biogeography and evolution on islands) could be a very welcome idea for an exhibit. The only other somewhat similar idea that I've visited is Elephant Odyssey with how it compares extant and extinct species. I'd personally prefer that they address the fact that some of the species will likely not be native to the Galapagos rather than hide that fact. I agree it's an odd choice of exhibit theme considering the scarcity of Galapagos species in captivity, but I think that could end up very interesting if done properly and am excited to see how it might play out. The Pantanal and Texas exhibit seemed to turn out quite wonderfully from what I've seen online, so I've got some faith that this will work out well too.

9030, Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  6. John Marchwick

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Strangely the zoo was supposed to open its new bird garden this year, yet all mention of that has ceased. And it is no longer on the map. I can imagine that the zoo decided to focus on Galapagos for its centennial, then will complete the bird garden (which is still on the above plans).

9030, Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is it already known what other species will go in like fish, marine life and iguanas?

The current true Galapagos animals are the giant tortoises Volcan Darwin Chelonoidis microphyes (hatchlings from the GPZ Brownsville Zoo).

I do have a lingering hope that the Galapagos management authorities Will adopt a more flexible approach to ex situ conservation and breeding programmes that could benefit in situ conservation. Much of their efforts are financially co supported by US and international zoo community, including a significant role for Houston Zoo through staff and their excellent vet.

Can we have more Galapagos species please, GC and GNP Ecuador?

StoppableSan, Antoine and Zorro like this.
  9. 9030

9030 Active Member

My guess for the iguana species will perhaps be the Galapagos Land Iguana?

10. 9030

9030 Active Member

I am looking forward to the new bird area (especially their bird garden). According to the master plan its going to be called Ancient Relatives and have the reptiles and birds in the same area. Houston Zoo loves their birds.

11. Kifaru Bwana

Personally, that would be amazing, however realistically I think one of the Carribean Cyclura iguanas.

Also, birds same ... probably S.American mainland?!

StoppableSan likes this.
  12. 9030

9030 Active Member

On the Houston Zoo website it mentioned for the bird garden to be themed to the birds of the Sunda Islands, but it got taken down.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  13. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

In the book The Zoo Tourist: Visiting America's Zoos and Aquariums (Lenny Flank, 2021), there is a 5-page chapter on Houston Zoo. At one point, Flank writes the following: "By the 2010s, the Houston Zoo was planning another ambitious expansion under a new $72 million master plan. Future projects included remodeling and updating some of the existing exhibits, and adding a series of new ones to include Arctic World, Tropical World, Desert World, Invisible World, Island World, and an Aquarium." He then mentions, in regards to development near Addicks Dam: "Another 1,000 acres of the new park were set aside for a planned Zoo facility to be known as the Cullen Park Zoo."

Does anyone have any insight on these proposed developments? Invisible World sounds intriguing. :rolleyes:

14. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don’t but I’d imagine once the new director came on in 2015, they dropped all those plans. Come 2018 they announced their current 150 million dollar campaign focused around ecosystems where they do conservation work.

15. Trowaman

Going all the way back to 2000 and earlier, in the Brown conservation center there was a giant outline of a proposed master plan going over several biomes, including the mentioned article one about where the current Galapagos construction is going. This had been their plans for decades now and only recently has been underway.
    As mentioned above, the new director has probably changed these plans greatly in scope, design, and specifics, but the push to finally do biome based regions of the zoo is finally underway.

StoppableSan, snowleopard and 9030 like this.
  16. Kifaru Bwana

So, is there a complete post 2015 (new) Masterplan for Houston Zoo or is it just the 3 biomes discussed over the last 3 years here?

I can only find on basic drawing of the entire zoo landscape colouring in Africa (SW), Asian islands (between West entrance and North Plaza), Childrens Zoo - Texas, Ancient Relatives (Birds and Reptiles) and the Conservation Education Center. I assume all these mentioned have yet to produce detailed planning documents post 2022 on the zoo site?

What I can discern from the website are: A) Conservation Connection - Heart of the Zoo Texas Wetlands (Cypress Circle Cafe+Orang Utan exhibit), the South America's Pantanal (jaguar, macaws, curassows, tapir, anteater, giant otter and aviary) and the 2022 Galapagos exhibit being finished.

Did these 2022 developments also include factoring in the Avian Conservation Area, Reflection Pool and North Entry Plaza (these 2 not on the Galapagos exhibit drawing, but same general area) and Hammill Black Bear Exhibit or are these not yet come on stream as per the original designs?

Last edited: 5 May 2021
    StoppableSan likes this.
  17. Trowaman

The bears was the first thing done
    The front entry redo is done
    Reflection pool is untouched as of this moment
    Birds are a giant unknown. Current bird house closed.
    when Galapagos is done I assume reflection pool will get a refresh as the current sea Lion pool is becoming a restaurant.

Then onto the second phase for Africa, Asian, Madagascar as shown on the map you found.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  18. MidwestFan

MidwestFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Anyone heard any updates on elephant Tess and her pregnancy? I believe she was due in "spring of 2021" so should be anytime.

19. John Marchwick

she’s due sometime this month is what I read on the North American Asian Elephant Population

20. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I have just uploaded a comprehensive set of photos from Houston Zoo's new exhibit complex, 'South America's Pantanal.'

Here is a species list for the exhibits on the day of my visit on 3/29/21, grouped in their exhibits as they are encountered along the exhibit path. I will illustrate each with a photo or two from the gallery:

Black-and-Gold Howler Monkey
    Golden Lion Tamarin
    Red-rumped Agouti

Giant River Otter

Cachama
    Dorado
    Orange-spotted River Stingray
    Pacu
    Plecostomus
    Ripsaw Catfish
    Spotted Metynnis
    White-spotted River Stingray
    Yellow-spotted River Turtle

Emerald Tree Boa
    Smoky Jungle Frog

Green Anaconda

Poison Dart Frogs (unspecified species)

Blue-billed Curassow
    Blue-throated Macaw

Jaguar

(Main mixed species exhibit appears to be capable of being separated into two yards):
    Baird's Tapir
    Capybara
    Coscoroba Swan
    Giant Anteater
    Greater Rhea
    Southern Crested Screamer

(Exhibit is an older aviary that has been refurbished and incorporated into complex):
    Blue-gray Tanager
    Giant Wood Rail
    Guira Cuckoo
    Puna Ibis
    Red-capped Cardinal
    Ringed Teal
    Roseate Spoonbill
    Silver-beaked Tanager
    South American Comb Duck
    Sunbittern
    Wood Stork (unsigned)
    Yellow-rumped Cacique

(Walk-through exhibit is an older aviary that has been refurbished and incorporated into complex):
    Black-faced Ibis
    Blue-crowned Motmot
    Boat-billed Heron
    Brazilian Teal
    Golden Conure
    Green Oropendola
    Guianan Toucanet
    Red Shoveler
    Southern Lapwing
    Wattled Curassow
    Wattled Jacana
    White-faced Whistling Duck

(Exhibit is existing and is adjacent to aviaries but not clear if it is considered part of complex):
    Chilean Flamingo