Join our zoo community

Houston Zoo Houston Zoo News 2021

Discussion in 'United States' started by Zoofan15, 2 Jan 2021.

Tags:
  1. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You took fantastic photos of the exhibit!

9030 and StoppableSan like this.
  2. 9030

9030 Active Member

It'a good to see that the Anaconda crawl space is now open. As a Houstonian myself, I enjoy the Pantanal exhibit very much. I noticed in the Macaw/Curassow exhibit I have also seen a species of Troupial a few times.

StoppableSan likes this.
  3. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Thank you! It was actually a crowded day at the zoo but I was first one to the exhibit in the morning so I was lucky to capture it without people blocking my shots! I backtracked a little later to pick up some more animal closeups, although the jaguar eluded me.

TinoPup, 9030 and StoppableSan like this.
  4. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

How do you feel about bronze animal sculptures in the Pantanal and Texas wetland exhibits?

I always feel that a zoo should show live animals, not animal sculptures. But they can show species which are either impossible to get or would hide and be unattractive. They might also give conservation some posh or esteem status.

BTW, I only noticed on your photo that the entry sign has fake ovenbird mud-nests on it.

5. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Sculptures of animals enable visitors to get a visceral experience of the size of animals displayed. While, more often than not, children see them as playground equipment and adults see them as Instgram opps, they do serve to bring the visitor empathetically closer to the animals.

BenFoxster, TinoPup, Moebelle and 4 others like this.
  6. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks! This kind of sculptures is not common in Europe.

This suggests that such sculptures could be more photographable or instagrammable - for example built so that a child can sit on one.

Zooplantman likes this.
  7. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You took photos of everything, they're so helpful. Houston had been slipping down by "need to visit asap" list but it's back up there now :)

Regarding the statues, I always love seeing art in zoos.

BenFoxster and StoppableSan like this.
  8. Bozie's Friend

Bozie's Friend Member

This is just a hunch, but I suspect Tess might finally be due. I was watching the webcam for a good amount of time today and Tess was noticeably absent, as well as Tilly.

Tupelo and Winnie were out with Nelson, Joy, Shanti, and Methai. Fingers crossed that we'll hear some good news within the next couple of days. If you subscribe to the zoo, watch your emails. Generally, that's where the news will come from first. If she went into labor today, it's likely we'll hear something tomorrow.

She could also have been off camera for something else too, but it's a sign to look for. So, fingers crossed that it's finally time! ;) The timing is just a bit suspicious.

9. Bozie's Friend

Bozie's Friend Member

Just a quick follow-up. Tess was back out in the yard yesterday, along with Tilly, and is out again today. The good news is that she still is looking pregnant, so it must have been a false alarm.

Given that they had them both inside on Friday and Saturday though, suggests that it could be any time. Here's hoping that she has a flawless delivery and we get yet another healthy baby elephant at the zoo.

10. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well, whaddya know!

11. Bozie's Friend

Bozie's Friend Member

Goodness, I even asked. They're very sneaky. They had me going, I was so certain on Friday, haha.

And - a boy! Glad to see another from Tess!

12. Elephantus

Elephantus Member

Excellent News! 1st bull offspring for Thai & Tess.

13. 9030

9030 Active Member

StoppableSan likes this.
  14. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

15. 9030

9030 Active Member

I haven't came across any descriptions on it but by the looks of the name and area that it's in it looks like a path/seating area. A nice looking area that leads guests to the flamingo and hopefully future bird area.

People on social media were always confused to where the flamingo exhibit was because the zoo wasn't giving guests a map when they walk in.

16. Trowaman

Trowaman Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If it is just a seating area: Put. The birdhouse. Back.

17. nczoofan

Visited the other day and construction for Flamingo Terrace was ongoing. It appears to be just a walkway, although most definitely a short term addition to help with visitor circulation of the area. The bird house from photos and the zoos assessment was rapidly aging so I understand removing it although it is sad to see the current state of the on-show bird collection.

Construction on Galapagos next door has also gone vertical. I think I now understand why the bird garden hasn't opened as was expected. Given that its next to the Galapagos construction, which features a massive crane I imagine it may be both dangerous to visitors and greatly disturbing to the birds to open the bird garden before Galapagos. Its just my intuition but I can imagine the phasing now is to construct and open the bird garden after Galapagos opens or is nearly complete in Fall 2022.

[​IMG]
    You can see the proposed bird garden just above the tortoise exhibit. Note how there is maybe only 20 feet between the developments.

18. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nice to see you managed to visit Houston.

nczoofan and StoppableSan like this.
  19. nczoofan

It was a long day trip (6 hours of driving) and Houston summers are brutal like 100 degrees (38 C), but it was great to visit the zoo and see both baby elephants. I will be posting a review in the coming days.

PAT, Kifaru Bwana, 9030 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member