Join our zoo community

How Andean Condors in Peru saved the California Condor from extinction

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by UngulateNerd92, 7 Dec 2021.

1. UngulateNerd92

UngulateNerd92 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

• The California Condor narrowly dodged extinction in the 1980s thanks to conservation efforts involving Andean Condors reintroduced to Peru’s Illescas peninsula.
    • The Illescas wilderness will soon be officially protected as Illescas National Reserve, a development which spurred Enrique Ortiz, Senior Program Director at the Andes Amazon Fund, to recount the story of how Andean Condors helped save the California Condor.
    • The Spanish version of this piece originally appeared on Mongabay-Latam.
    • This post is a commentary. The views expressed are those of the author, not necessarily Mongabay.
    A few years ago, alone on the top of a mountain in Zion National Park, in Utah, USA, I had an almost mystical experience that immediately transported me to the Illescas Peninsula, in Piura, Peru. Out of nowhere, a California Condor appeared with a number written on a plastic plate attached to its wing, perching a few feet from me. It was an extraordinary event because, one, it is a very rare species which “miraculously” was saved from extinction. And two, was that back in the early 1980’s, Illescas and I were directly involved with its survival mission. It was as if that condor had come to greet me … and whisper something in my ear.

https://news-mongabay-com.cdn.amppr...ed-the-california-condor-from-extinction/amp/