Join our zoo community

How Did You Initially Come Across ZooChat?

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by wensleydale, 22 Nov 2014.

1. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

I was just wondering, how did everyone initially come to this site? Was anyone looking for a photo of a particular animal like me?

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Moderator Staff Member

It was a Google search on something related to wild cats, I cannot remember specifically what.

3. AverageWalrus

AverageWalrus Well-Known Member

When I was searching to see if there were ever Marine Iguanas in Captivity, first thing that came up was this website.

4. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands Premium Member

I was lost, walked down a dark alley, rounded a corner and ZooChat was there, standing under a lamp-post smoking a cigar.

:p

Hix

5. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I was looking for information about captive red and white giant flying squirrels. I can't remember why I wanted to know though. :p

6. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member

Never found ZooChat, I found ZooNews :)

I "think" I found it because i saw a National Geographic / Discovery program about Emi the sumatran rhino in Cincy Zoo that ended with a cliffhanger about if she would ever be able to reproduce a healthy calf and i tried to find out if she ever did. When I searched, I think she was just pregnant with Suci (the program was a few years old).

7. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member

I can't really remember how I stumbled across it, possibly searching for old photo's of Dudley Zoo? Incidentally a (none zoo) friend of mine spent a few hours perusing the forums a few weeks ago after searching for platypus in captivity and was quite impressed with what he found! :p

8. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member

I looked up "Sea Lion Exhibits" on Google images and every link led to here and I thought I found heaven.

9. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

I was searching for more information online about Alexandria zoo, and ended up reading a thread on this site.

10. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member

Its amazing how many searches for detailed information or news on specific animals nowadays lead straight to here.:)

I first came across it when it was still 'Zoobeat' and confined almost entirely to just Australian Zoos. It soon grew though.

11. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

"ZooChat changed my life " erm...maybe...erm...not sure!

my intro is a little different.
    I was attempting to photograph the free flying birds in the Tsavo Aviary at Chester Zoo a few years back now when a gentleman fellow photographer approached me and we struck up conversation, during that conversation he asked me "are you on ZooChat" but I heard "do you zoochat" so I replied "yes" thinking to myself - bloody stupid question of course I chat about zoos I'm here and talking to you aren't !
    I was only after I left that the penny dropped and I thought - Oh he was on about a forum online - so I searched and joined - the fellow photographer in question was SMR :) so you can blame him!!

12. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member

5 - 6 years ago I was Google-ing about the breeding-result of the Shoebill at Pairi Daiza and came on ZooChat. Didn't become a member but later on I came across ZooChat regulary and Dec. 2012 I became a member and don't regret it :) !

13. TropicWorld54

TropicWorld54 Well-Known Member

For as long as I can remember I was fascinated with animals and would go to my local zoos as often as possible to see the animals that I so often read about. Four years ago, after a visit to Brookfield Zoo, I got a sudden interest in exhibit designs. As soon as I got home I started to Google search all of Brookfield Zoo's exhibit names. After a search of "Habitat Africa the forest", or something like that, I found images of the exhibit and clicked the links back to this site. About two and a half years ago I decided to join zoochat after a few years of silently following it. Although I do not post on this site as much as I used to, I still follow it to see what is happening in the zoo world.

14. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member

I was searching for a photo of some animals (can't remember which species) and then I found a link to the Barcelona Zoo Gallery. I know I couldn't stay to explore so I saved the link and then left. I then completely forgot about the sight for almost a year, after which I just browsed (mostly the galleries at first before finding the news threads) as a guest for about another year before finally joining.

I, too, thought I found Heaven on Earth:p

~Thylo:cool:

15. azcheetah2

azcheetah2 Well-Known Member

it's interesting to see how many people found ZooChat because they were looking for some animal specific information or a picture of a certain animal. I found it because I did a search on Google for a message board for people who likes zoos and it came up with ZooChat.

16. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Moderator Staff Member

The aliens gave me a vision. I carved a structure out of mashed potatoes, and it lead me here.

17. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands Premium Member

Sounds like a great story for a movie!

:p

Hix

18. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Moderator Staff Member

Good idea. I wonder if I could get Steven Spielberg to direct it?

19. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

not a good idea. Maybe back in his good days. Now he'd team up with George Lucas and you'd just end up with a CGI Chlidonias.

20. Safari Stone

Safari Stone Member

I was searching pictures of Columbus's new baby gorilla that moved there some time ago. Some of the links led to here and I ended up joining the site. I still have a lot to see on zoochat since I've only been here a while.