Join our zoo community

How Giraffes Work, by Graham Mitchell

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by twilighter, 1 May 2022.

1. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Books about Giraffes are rare event in general. I have the golden classic: The giraffe: Its Biology, Behavior, and Ecology, Anne Innis Dagg 1976

And the contemporary editions:

Giraffe Biology, Behaviour and Conservation, Anne Innis Dagg, 2014

Giraffe Reflections, Dale Peterson, 2013

The Giraffe Biology, Ecology, Evolution and Behaviour, Bryan Shorrocks, 2016

They are nicely written with some beautiful images, but all feel quite outdated and incomplete. There were many scientific studies in the recent years, especially when with comes to Giraffes' taxonomy, physiology, and anatomy.

With How Giraffes Work, Graham Mitchell tries to feel the gaps in our knowledge about this amazing creatures.

How Giraffes Work

snowleopard, iluvwhales and TinoPup like this.
  2. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's quite a few books on the species, really :) There's several others that aren't so scientific, as well.

I would love to read Mitchell's book, but that price puts it firmly out of my range.

Zoofan15 likes this.
  3. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The current price is quite steep, indeed. Lately similar publications are not getting cheaper in a long period, unfortunately.

The book is definitely the most comprehensive and up to date study of the Giraffes, tho. The reference list is very rich, as well ( arranged both alphabetically and chronologically ).

TinoPup likes this.
  4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

That is an expensive book!

This probably varies by country, but I can get the first seven (of eighteen) chapters on Google Books: How Giraffes Work

I just quickly skimmed the first chapter - it looks really good.

TinoPup and twilighter like this.