Join our zoo community

How has COVID-19 affected you personally?

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by DelacoursLangur, 6 Mar 2020.

1. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Surely I’m not the only one confused about this message? It’s not a scam and there’s no real advantage to sending this to everyone. Perhaps it’s an (incredibly idiotic) prank?

2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Most certainly, it's clearly an attempt to cause more chaos. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

~Thylo

3. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@KevinB I truly wish there was a way to ease your anxiety, since it is clearly bothering you. Maybe consider the following:

- @FunkyGibbon is right; there are various ways to clean yourself without toilet papers.
    - Even if you run out of toilet paper, you might be able to trade some in from a nearby horder in exchange for something else. This strategy has worked pretty well for thousands of years. ;)
    - Just remember: you're a Homo sapiens, pretty much the most behaviorally and technically adaptive species on this planet. You'll adopt, find your way and be just fine.
    For several years, I lived on a pretty secluded island where I faced, among others, floods, storms (sometimes even bringing in castaways), complete lasting disruptions of the water supply, a power blackout due to a swan, a heating system that liked to break down during the winter (which is great if you have a baby and a toddler to take care of), aggressive wild boars and water buffalos (once even a stray wolf), trigger-happy hunters, radical environmentalists etc. And I'm still alive and well. ^^

4. taun

taun Well-Known Member

It's ISIS, they have been told not to travel to Europe to carry out terror attacks so they are working from home sending messages instead. :D

5. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just applied at HEB, turns out they're hiring for Corpus again. Daytime, but stocking job, so hopefully that means less direct contact with customers. Wish me luck!

6. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

This is true, and it"s a good thing. I don't have time right now to find them--sorry--but I read two articles yesterday featuring the national head of the National Guard. It's very reassuring and positive. They are already in the community, so they're right there to help back up health and supply workers, so they don't have to be mobilized from some base. They are doing things like health screenings and may become the staff to handle drive-through COVID-19 testing when enough tests arrive. They could also bring these services to the elderly and shut-in.

The only problem with this text is that it does not specify that this has nothing to do with law enforcement--and--the ongoing fear of many--martial law and an order to relinquish all guns.

7. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It's official folks, I've decided to change my location to "Coronafornia" and occupation to "Surviving the apocalypse."

Last edited: 20 Mar 2020
  8. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Finally realized why I've been extremely fixated on getting a Nintendo Switch the past few days: I need something to look forward to. So once again, my plans have changed: I'm (hopefully) gonna work a regular job for my necessities, but I'll continue working Postmates Fleet and use that money to save for a Switch, lol. I know it sounds stupid, but with all of my plans for the next few months cancelled (even my small plans, like driving a few hours away for a zoo trip!) out of the question, I think I need some kind of goal. And I've been wanting the Switch for a while now so I think if I get it, it will scratch that itch for a long time.

Great Argus likes this.
  9. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Since this wonderfully empathetic post there have been 141,000 new cases and counting, and 6,400 deaths. Both those numbers exceed the total number of cases and deaths that had occurred up until the time of this post.

I dare to hope that you were simply struggling to comprehend what was coming and are now taking this situation more seriously.

10. AmbikaFan

Just as the UK told citizens abroad that they must return immediately or prepare to stay where they are for a period of months, our chancellor has forewarned us that this advisory will go into the US in the next 24 hours. Funky Gibbon's travel thread explains the UK policy--and his decision to stay in Sumatra for the coming months. Very interesting and informative reading, as he's already had to make COVID-19 decisions when he thought he might have contracted it. Be safe, Funky Gibbon.

11. AmbikaFan

ZooBinh likes this.
  12. Imperator Furiosa

Imperator Furiosa Well-Known Member

Illinois ordered all residents to shelter in place through the beginning of April at least, barring things like necessary shopping and caring for family members. It's not working very well, I can see at least a few dozen walking around in a park near me.

I had to make the decision to move back in with my parents for the time being. It's something I find very humiliating as an adult but I'm on track to lose most of my money by mid-April, and I think at the bare minimum we'll see major restrictions in place up to the beginning of the summer. And since my day job is at a zoo I might be out of work longer than some other people as well. I'm just hoping that all my living animals survive the several hour trip.

ZooBinh likes this.
  13. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I understand how you feel, but there is no shame in families working together to get through a crisis. None of this is your fault.

14. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Learn, Eat, Computer, Sleep. Repeat.

ThylacineAlive and Jungle Man like this.
  15. AmbikaFan

At 9 pm tonight, all non-essential businesses were closed until further notice, and people are only allowed out of their homes to buy groceries, go to a pharmacy, buy gas, take a walk, or care for an elder. During these outings, 6-foot person space between people must be maintained. This applies to all 9 million people in New Jersey.

This feels very odd to be saying, but it's starting to feel as if I'm the only one I know working. Colleges are in full swing online, but even factories and lawyers and some doctors are closing, in addition to all of these small businesses.

New Jersey governor issues stay-at-home order for nearly all of state's 9M residents

Last edited: 22 Mar 2020
    ZooBinh likes this.
  16. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Following California's example probably... not that everybody here is following it...

17. AmbikaFan

This may be a small state, but we have a very high rate of infection, 1327. If that alone isn't scary, 442 of those were added in the 24 hours since yesterday. That's almost a 50% increase in one day.

We're completely online teaching in my NY school, but the plan had been to keep the school open for the library, computer assistance, and the food bank and child care for children of first responders. No more. The campus is locked down tight as a drum. Word is that hospital space is in such shortage that the Red Cross is actively turning hotels, gymnasiums, armories, and dorms into temporary hospitals. I'm surprised places of lodging are forbidden to be open--truckers are our only way of maintaining the supply chain, and truck stops and rest areas are closed.

Jungle Man, Great Argus and ZooBinh like this.
  18. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I want to say it pains me to follow news about current situation in Italy, Spain and France and other countries in Europe. It is highly unfortunate that whole Europe was hit simultanously so we have no spare capacity to send any significant help. Fighting!

In my country, people got sort of used to limitations of daily life, absolute majority is disciplined. Our national crisis team already has plans for future. If it goes according to their expectations, most restrictions should be lifted around Easter and this would probably mean zoos can open again. Schools should open in May. But traveling to/from abroad might be forbidden during whole summer.

ZooBinh and Batto like this.
  19. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I am feeling a little bit better after a somewhat relaxing weekend, but I am still struggling with these difficult and uncertain times and I think I will continue to do so as this pandemic continues and we just don't and can't know how things will unfold and escalate. I also continue to experience some anxiety about this outbreak and about what the future after the outbreak will be like and whether things will ever become somewhat normal again.

Those are some good tips for people working from home. I have done some of those things but I need to pay more attention to some others.

Personally I need a lot of routine, even in these abnormal times, and working approximately the same hours as I usually do (minus the commute) offers me some much needed sense of normalcy.

These days I mostly go outside to take care of my chickens, but if the weather allows I definitely need to make sure I do some outdoor reading the coming week. Maybe I'll take a walk or do some cycling at some point, but I don't feel much like doing that anytime soon.

Unfortunately due to my autism spectrum disorder I have a very low degree of adaptability and I deal with uncertainty, sudden change and stressful situations very poorly. These challenging times with quick change are definitely not something I can deal with well. I am very lucky to not be living alone, that I definitely know even better now.

The only advantage to my disorder is that I have a very low desire for social contact and don't mind staying at home and keeping myself occupied in my residence. However I still have difficulties having to develop new routines quickly, and I really dislike not being able to access beloved locations like natural areas and zoos, and I fear for the future of zoos a lot.

This weekend doing some things that offer me some relaxation and distraction and consuming a little less news has helped me keeping the anxiety at bay a little more, but it is still there and it will without any doubt continue to be there in these scary times. I think all I can do is try to make the best of things, and not let it get the better of me or keep me from doing things I need to do or enjoy doing.

With the highly permeable borders and the ease and amount of travel of persons we have in Europe, it would be almost impossible for an outbreak occurring in one country to not spread to others, even with early detection. This outbreak also had community spread happening at a time when a lot of people were on their winter break in Italy, Austria, France et cetera. Maybe more could have done in terms of containment and quarantaine in the earlier phases of the outbreak, but transfer to other European countries was always inevitable.

The situation in Italy, Spain and France is really horrible and it just seems to be continuing to get worse rather than improve even the slightest. It pains me to think about what might still await them in coming weeks and months.

My own country Belgium is trying very hard to not end up in the situation other countries are in with a soft lock-down and capacity building in hospitals, and the government and experts seem fairly confident they will be able to keep things under control. Given what we have seen I am however not able to fully trust them and I am still anxious about how much worse this is going to get. I still think what we are seeing now is only the beginning of the Covid-19 storm in Belgium. Especially given that far too many people are still not respecting the measures.

We are definitely seeing a lack of discipline in following the lock-down measures in many places and it has been irritating me a lot lately. Here in Belgium a substantial minority of people just doesn't seem willing to abide by the - admittedly unpleasant, but necessary - lock-down measures of our government. They are still traveling for non-essential reasons, still meeting-up, still having parties or continuing to create busy areas where social distancing might not be able to upheld. For example people have been flocking to natural, recreational and walking areas by car, which is not allowed (walking or cycling near our place of residence is however).

There is substantial effort being put into enforcement of the rules, which is good, but I even think more is needed and even tougher rules are likely necessary. Only if everyone abides by the rules we will be able to beat this outbreak as fully and as soon as possible, so I think offenders need to be dealt with even more harshly. And that the government and the media need to continue to keep hammering home the message about the importance of these rules. Unfortunately it is beginning to seem that only the toughest rules with the strongest enforcement will work to contain this virus...

Last edited: 22 Mar 2020
  20. taun

taun Well-Known Member

@KevinB, well I hope they help. Certainly be trying to stick to all of them this week. It got a bit bleak last week for me. Weekend has been good though, feel I have relaxed a bit.

KevinB likes this.