Join our zoo community

How has COVID-19 affected you personally?

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by DelacoursLangur, 6 Mar 2020.

1. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

As sweet as cinnamon (is cinnamon sweet?), polar bear cubs making their first outdoor ventures recently.

2. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Polar bears that have been rolling in some dirt or mud.

3. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

It's not hard at all. But at least for myself, I had not thought of every little step, every possible point of contact that even one exchange requires. Surviving unaffected will require even more minute precaution than I had considered, since I was already sheltering in place.

4. AmbikaFan

When I was growing up, my grandparents had a glass jar with a tin lid in the shape of a sitting bear. This must have come from with the Dutch, German, or English origins of my grandparents, but the bear held a cinnamon-sugar mix, proportioned to particular taste. I still have mine, always with cinnamon-sugar ready to go. Pour it on the melted butter on waffles or toast, and it's to die for.

5. KevinB

The war years were very different times economically and socially, so I don't think you can compare. I don't think there's anything to compare the current situation to with regards to zoos. Also during the wars zoos lost or sacrificed the majority of their collections...

It is not the small zoo owner's message that has messed with my head, I was already deeply worried about the economic survival of zoos during this crisis before I read that. If anything has messed with my head it was all the dire predictions and warnings by the experts in the media.

At this point it looks highly likely this crisis will last several more months and might last until or even encompass some or all of the summer season. At that point even the big established zoos will be in deep trouble, unless the government is willing to bail them out...

And even with the crappy little places that might not be much of a loss to the zoological world it still pains me to think about the fate of their collections in these uncertain times.

That sounds delicious and though we didn't have cinnamon sugar or bear jars here this kind of reminds me of being at my grandparents in my childhood. I could use some cinnamon-y sweetness right now, but I doubt big loads of sugar are any good for your immune system.

At this point it seems some of my anxiety over the Covid-19 crisis has been channeled into a pretty strong current of hopelessness, gloom and pessimism and a good splash of depression over the ravages of this pandemic tide and its effects on the places I love. I also feel rather tired mentally and I just can't find much energy to read lots of news about this crisis anymore.

At this moment I barely even look at pictures from zoos and of animals, as it pains me to think I might never be able to visit these places or see those species in real life again (I hope that does not happen, but I fear that a lot).

In short, I am not really succeeding at keeping my spirits up right now, despite all the things I said I would try to achieve that.

6. AmbikaFan

You really must try to stop thinking about it and try something different. The very definition of insanity is making the same mistakes over and over and expecting a different result! It will tear you apart for as long as this goes on, and unfortunately your anxiety is not only hurting you, but it does nothing whatsoever to change the situation. Short of following all protocols and keeping yourself and others safe, we can do nothing but wait.

My flowering trees and shrubs are in bloom, and I'm reminded that they have been here 110 years since my house was built, through thick and thin--and some pretty devastating hurricanes. Our zoos are going on--take some time to tune in webcams from zoos around the world. Stockpile some joy. I think a waffle or piece of toast with melted butter and cinnamon sugar might do you wonders right about now. Who knows? In time you may find yourself a glass bear jar.;)

Last edited: 23 Mar 2020
  7. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

In my experience it is no help giving someone who is anxious helpful advice, but it is hard not to!
    If you focus on what is close around you, you will see the local birds and small mammals going about their business. Have you ever REALLY watched them? Studied them? This is the best time of year to become an expert in animal behavior!
    Other than that, here's some more advice
    https://comb.io/dLmYxJ.gif

8. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As of tonight, everyone in the state of CT is to be quarantined inside their homes. No business deemed non-essential are to remain open. All essential businesses have provided their employees with authorized letters stating we are employed by them if/when we are pulled over on the road as all non-essential travel is prohibited. An 8pm curfew has been enacted.

~Thylo

9. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Playing Animal Crossing and watching Baywatch makes me desperately want to go to the beach. I just might do it, after all, a bare beach without facilities is pretty low risk, right?

10. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm working from home so more time on Zoochat!

11. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, as long as you're not under shelter in place. Also depends on how many people have the same idea. CA and FL have had to kick people off beaches when they were supposed to be at home.

TheMightyOrca and ZooBinh like this.
  12. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

The UK is now in lockdown, although the PM didn't use that word. We can go out once a day for individual exercise, and to the shops. This is day three of working from home for me. It's different, and still haven't got a new routine yet. I've been playing a rather lovely app called Tokaido, it's relaxing and helps take my mind off the dystopian sci-fi movie we all appear to be living through.

AmbikaFan, Zooplantman and ZooBinh like this.
  13. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wisconsin just closed all non-essential businesses, but has not limited going outside.

14. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Indeed; they were far worse. So if the zoos survived that, they'll also survive this. If your routine gives you a better peace of mind, stick to it.

15. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Today was day 5 of shelter in place, and being a bit bored I ventured out into the yard for some birding between the occasional rain shower. Turned up 50 species which was nice, and got some good photos. (I'll be uploading some to the gallery :)) Seeing more of the spring migrants arrive certainly made me wish I could go visit my other local spots. At least I have a large yard I can get out in and have a wide variety of birds visiting until shelter in place is lifted.

ZooBinh likes this.
  16. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

As mentioned earlier, Korea has been running a policy that allows individuals to purchase only two masks a week since about two weeks ago. Today was the day I was able to buy mask, and there are five drugstores on the between my parents' store and my home. I'll summarize the process that happened on my way home after working at my parents' store.

First drugstore: Written 'today's mask is sold out' on the entrance door. So I didn't entry.

A pair of Japanese tit on roadside trees: cute. very cute.[​IMG]:)

Second drugstore: Said me all afternoon sales are sold out and only dinner sales are left for those who are leaving work. And recommended me if I can't buy mask, come and buy again on the weekend.

Third drugstore: Where I could buy a mask two weeks ago. But this time, out of stock.

Fourth drugstore: out of stock, but said me that the fifth drugstore will be in stock.

Fifth drugstore: The place where I bought two masks last week. I bought two masks at here again. mission complete.

It is hard to say that the situation by COVID-19 is get better, but at least in my neighborhood, there has been no longer a long line in front of a pharmacy to buy a mask since last week. It can be said the Korean government's policy to restrict purchases of masks has worked to some extent.

Everyone, take care of your body and mental health. Like the Japanese tit I've seen, more animals are starting to see as spring comes, so I think it's good to spend some time looking at them.

KevinB, AmbikaFan, ZooBinh and 4 others like this.
  17. KevinB

Today I did some things to try and take care of my mental health. Given that it seems we will be sheltering in place as this crisis unfolds for at least several more weeks, I cannot afford to be in a state of heightened despair and anxiety for that long so some relaxation was in order. I don't work on Wednesdays so I tried to do some nice things today.

I did some relaxing and interesting online reading and research. I spent some time outside taking care of my chicken flock and being on the look out for some wildlife (I recorded my sightings in the Big Year topic). I also experimented a little with photographing the firebugs in our garden, using the macro function on my camera that I hadn't used much before (I will probably post a few in the gallery at some point). And last but not least I sat out in the sun and read for a while.

I have started to read The Annotated Malay Archipelago by Alfred Russell Wallace (1869), Edited by John van Wyhe (2015). I actually learned about and bought this book after someone commented on it here on ZooChat. I already owned and years ago read a Dutch translation of The Malay Archipelago, but now I am reading the original English text with clarifying annotations. I will definitely be reading more it in the coming weeks, and I'll definitely go outdoor and read again if the weather allows.

In short, I'm trying to get through this as best as I can, but I still hope this crisis can be overcome as soon as possible and with as little lasting damage as possible.

18. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

You have inspired me! I will work on learning Dutch by watching every episode of "Professor T" :D

Mr. Zootycoon likes this.
  19. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I've owned a copy of The Malay Archipelago for several years but never got around to it. I even took it on this trip but it didn't make the final cut and is with other books in storage in Taiwan.

20. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I live in a suburb North of NYC and go to a school in New Jersey. I've been out since the 5th, and officially quarantined in my house up until the 17th. It's been a bit of a crazy ride until now and a tad more difficult than I'd like to admit. The most frustrating part for me, personally, is the fact that I have been isolated from my friends and frankly my immediate neighborhood. All communal gatherings, whether religious, ceremonial, or otherwise have been completely cancelled. Ever since March 11, we have been holding online classes on Zoom with a fairly high degree of success (needless to say my teachers and teachers across the country deserve a standing ovation for the work and innovation they've put into everything so last minute). My total standardized test schedule has been completely changed due to this, and I have no ideas what's to come. As a senior graduating in early June, many of my classmates (myself included) are worried we are missing out on our final and best weeks of High School, our senior dinner, and perhaps even our graduation.

I feel I am blessed beyond belief that be in a home right now that has more than sufficient resources, a family that is taking every step to ensure that this virus doesn't enter our house (especially as certain elderly members will be moving in indefinitely), and how connected I am to everyone through social media. That being said, it's very challenging to think this is my last opportunity to talk to my friends for a very long time. On Sunday I went back to my school to pick up my stuff, and being the first one there, it was quite morose. After taking an hour stroll around the deserted building and many pictures later I left.

I'm by no means suffering. In fact, I've probably been sleeping more than I have in a long time, I'm reading for the sake of it again, and I've even started to try to teach myself Akkadian. I am so thankful and appreciative to be in an immediate environment where I know I'll most likely be fine. It's just frustrating to not be able to fully articulate the downsides for teenagers such as myself that this virus has brought without seeming childish and showing off my comparatively advantaged position at the moment. All I know right now is that I just wish everyone the absolute best and I hope we all pull through this with responsible actions, a revived spirit, and a renewed preparedness and hope for the future.

KevinB, jayjds2, AmbikaFan and 4 others like this.