Join our zoo community

How has COVID-19 affected you personally?

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by DelacoursLangur, 6 Mar 2020.

1. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Makes great sense.
    I cannot grasp your full experience, of course, but I am confident that reminding ourselves that we are not alone with our challenges is a real step forward. Acting on that support is very hard but taking in that the support is real will give you strength

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

It really would be undeserved and disproportional, and would serve no purpose other than to provide you with a new reason for unneccesary self-flagellation once you calmed down and regretted your rash actions in doing so.

You are entirely fine as you are :)

KevinB and ThylacineAlive like this.
  3. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't feel fine right now. And I don't feel like I will be without doing something about what happened to try to avoid such situations in the future (both the meltdown and my reaction).

I think I'm not going to destroy those photos, but I don't think I will be looking at them or processing them either. At least not for some time.

4. TeaLovingDave

But the key point is that the knee-jerk impulse to harm oneself as "punishment" for your perceived failings - whether physically, psychologically or by proxy - isn't something that is helpful or beneficial to you, tempting though it may be.

You can indeed "do something about what happened to try to avoid such situations in the future", and perhaps should, but something of that ilk isn't what you need :)

5. KevinB

I think moderating my responses to unpleasant situation or mistakes will be one of the issues I need to tackle as part of my improvements.

I agree that reasonably speaking the knee-jerk harsh punishment response is not necessary, helpful or useful, but until some hours ago my mind was too clouded by negative emotions to see that reasoning.

Personally I see the need for change and improvement as the key take-away from what happened.

6. Tetzoo Quizzer

Tetzoo Quizzer Well-Known Member

As a double vaccinated 64 year old, I have continued to take standard precautions; face mask, hand gel, space etc. Nevertheless, yesterday I woke up with a runny nose with no off tap, a sore throat and, as the day went on, a high temperature. No change to taste or smell, so I was happy in my own mind it was a non-Covid dose of flu. Last night, because I was due to be running an event for Beaver Scouts today, I took a lateral flow test; positive! Going for a drive through PCR test this morning. At present, touch wood, it is just at the bad end of flu, and getting better, but I certainly would no want to be suffering it full on! Stay safe everyone!

7. TeaLovingDave

The fact that the Delta variant has a significantly lower rate of causing sensory impairments when compared to prior strains has been publicised a lot LESS than it should have been, really - combined with the fact that one symptom common in Delta, as you have found, is a runny nose (which many of the official regulations and warnings say seldom happen with Covid) this means that I suspect a good number of vaccinated people who have nonetheless caught the virus have assumed they just have bad hayfever or a summer flu!

Be well soon :)

8. KevinB

I'm sorry to bring this thread back up, but I need to get something off my liver and I didn't know where else I could do it.

Here in Belgium (as in several other countries) Covid-19 seems to be resurging pretty badly and rather rapidly with the arrival of fall and looser restrictions. There is going to be a fourth wave, and it's now only a matter of whether it will become just bad or very bad. Despite was experts are saying I am personally not hopeful that we aren't again headed towards overwhelmed hospitals and (partial) lockdown.

Again I find myself responding to this situation with increased fear, stress and negative and pessimistic thoughts, and I just don't seem to be able to prevent or stop that. I am feeling anxious and dispirated.

I really hope zoos here will remain open, but I am questioning whether it is still a good idea or attesting of common sense or sense of good citizenship to visit under the current circumstances and with the current lack of rules. I have already given up on my plans for the coming weekend (also because I need to take a pet to vet, admittedly) and am thinking it might be best to do so for the rest of fall and winter.

I'm not dealing with this, once again, different situation very well right now, and I'm going to once more have to figure something out.

DelacoursLangur likes this.
  9. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

I am really sorry, hope you will get better soon. Try to read less articles about covid;)

dublinlion likes this.
  10. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@KevinB Hang in there - it's tough on everyone. In your neighbor France people need a Pass Sanitaire (proof of vaccination) to visit a zoo. I guess Belgium does not have a similar requirement? Here in USA it has become political - which is (in my opinion) insane. It's a public health issue and vaccination should be universally accepted, but somehow a vocal section of the Republican Party has decided people should be against it (even though some prominent anti-vax spokespoeple have died from Covid).

KevinB and Bengal Tiger like this.
  11. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

Hey @KevinB it’ll be all right, just wait and things can and will get better. I am making a serious effort to be positive so I hope this lifts your spirits a little bit.

KevinB likes this.
  12. KevinB

I just can't seem to manage - and right now it seems like anything I read might be too much already... but I also cannot just tune out.

Starting November 1st the corona pass (or Covid Safe Ticket as it is called in Belgium) will actually be obligatory in zoos in Wallonia (the French-speaking part of Belgium), which means you will have to provide ID and proof of full vaccination, recent negative PCR test or having recovered from Covid recently. So far the regional government of Flanders is refusing to broadly implement CST, but the federal government is putting on the pressure, so I think it might still come eventually.

I am very-pro vaccination and I have always take a fairly hard and careful line in the management of the Covid-19 crisis, but I do not believe the broad implementation of a corona pass is good policy. It only further encourages polarization, hatred and potential violent outbursts. And outside of specific sectors and situations it will not help much to counter circulation of the virus.

I am finding it almost impossible to be hopeful or positive that the current situation will improve anytime soon. I don't see much reason to believe it will get any better during the fall or winter.

Bengal Tiger and HungarianBison like this.
  13. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

Just wait

14. KevinB

My mother has had a low-risk (at a distance and no close contact, but still all-day in the same, albeit ventilated, office space) contact with a colleague who tested positive for Covid-19.

While we are not required to be in strict quarantine right now, we are going to take it safe and will be pretty much self-quarantining unless in absolute necessity until we know more - and unfortunately my mother cannot get tested before Thursday, so we will likely won't know more until Friday, Saturday or even after the weekend.

I am understandably anxious, worried and stress that we could have Covid in the house now. The chance is maybe not superhigh, but with the delta variant there is definitely reason for concern.

So yeah, aside from all the stressful stuff I am already dealing with, there's now something more to be worried and anxious about. On top of all this I also walked into one of the chicken aviary gates today - hopefully that won't be worse than a bump or bruise.

15. Mr.Ivory

Mr.Ivory Well-Known Member

My father has become a lot more protective of me and my sisters, plus I have become a lot more solitary then before

16. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

My employer has mandated that everyone should be back in the office at least one day a week, which is OK when I have tasks that require checking physical collection items, but of the 8 trips so far, around half have been to sit in London doing things I could be doing at home (with the added time and expense of a train journey on top). It would be nice if they were a little more flexible about it, but it is what it is.

The trains are generally OK, but getting busier. It's especially annoying though when you're in a booked seat, and the person in the booked seat next to you not only doesn't wear a mask but also quite clearly has a cold of some kind, and sits there sniffling and coughing for an hour and a half (and these are older intercity trains with little in the way of ventilation). I've survived so far, but I've really noticed that I'm coughing more this winter than last, with more sinus issues. I'm double jabbed so will probably be OK, and am planning on getting my flu jab soon (and if boosters are offered to my age group, I'll get that too), but it really does feel like to a lot of people the pandemic is over and everything is back to normal. If they would just bring back mandatory masks on public transport I would be a lot happier!

17. TeaLovingDave

Once it hits 6 months after your second jab, I recommend you give walk-in clinics and pop-up locations a shot - I know a few people who have had some luck with that, even if they don't fall into one of the current priority groups.

Crowthorne likes this.
  18. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

Yes, just hop on the NHS website and book. That's what I did, and I believe they have changed it to 5 months (at least if you are in a priority group). I booked last Monday and had my booster Saturday. There were numerous locations I could choose from. The place I visited was even offering flu vaccines if you were eligible, though I've already had mine.

Crowthorne likes this.
  19. KevinB

Sadly, even more reason to worry: today I woke up with potential Covid symptoms today (headache, irritated/sore throat, muscle aches).

I know that these symptoms are not necessarily of Covid, but given my mother's contact I am extremely worried and anxious right now.

I have booked myself for a test tomorrow.

20. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Calm down, as you said yourself, this doesn´t need to be a covid. Europe is going now though an epidemy of a new variant of RSV (respiratory syncytial virus) that causes pretty bad type of flu. Just do common precautions and you will be good.

HungarianBison likes this.