Join our zoo community

How many of you got Zoobooks?

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by elefante, 25 Jul 2016.

1. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm not sure if these are still around, but this was a monthly magazine for kids about a certain animal. There didn't seem to be too many as I remember my subscriptions repeated eventually. They were fun to read. They had photos as well as illustrations. I recently came across my collection as I was looking through some things.

2. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

I just have several books involving zoo animals, in PDF format .

3. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My grandmother bought me every single one

4. elefante

Zoobooks was/is a magazine of animals aimed toward children. I used to get a subscription.

5. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

6. Screvier20

Screvier20 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I did. I believe I still have mine put away somewhere I'll need to look.

7. Youssarian

Youssarian Well-Known Member

I used to have every single one. They're still packed away somewhere in my closet. Honestly, getting Zoobooks was a great decision for a kid who loved animals as much as myself. I would get so excited every month when it came in and I would read, reread, and rereread each issue! I learned a lot about animals through that subscription.

8. elefante

I always wanted the elephants one. For some reason I never got that one.

9. Screvier20

I did find them. I still have nearly 50 of them. Some are in great shape other are in better bad shape.

10. elefante

Did you ever have the elephants one?

11. Screvier20

I still have it, but unfortunately it's missing a page:(

12. elefante

I've always wondered how often those are updated. And if they have come out with new ones recently. My old collection went back far enough there were two different fonts. One plain black one and one colorful one.

13. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Like many here I used to get them too. My favorite part was the illustrations showing the skeleton/musculature of the highlighted animal! Very unlike many of the other books I had. Fortunately my wife also got them and saved most all of them, we came across them when reorganizing our basement and I spent some time sitting down with my kids and looking through them.

You can still get a subscription and we had one for the kids for a year or so but sadly they didn't seem to enjoy them as much as i did. I was a little older than them when I was into them so who knows maybe they will appeal more to them when they are older.

14. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I got those when I was a kid too! They're still around, I see them in the gift shop at the science museum, and a quick Google search shows that you can still order subscriptions.

15. elefante

I recently found a copy of the elephants Zoobooks at an antique store. I may now have the entire collection. It was an old issue with the plain black font. It talked about working with elephants in the zoo under free contact conditions. One of the main illustrations was an elephant eyeballing a keeper.

16. evilmonkey239

evilmonkey239 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have a large collection of Zoobooks, I think the majority of the issues out there. For some, I have multiple newer and older editions.

I always thought it was a shame that they ceased making new ones after a certain point, and left many animal groups completely untouched. Like we got one on mustelids, but not one on procyonids; since we got one on Old World monkeys, logically you'd think there'd be one about New World monkeys, but no; and there are countless other animals I'd like to have gotten issues on but never did like mongooses, lemurs, hyenas and more.

17. elefante

I agree. Especially no New World monkey issue. WTF? There definitely could have been more. I wonder why they've just kept recycling them over the last 40 years. Do they update them much?

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  18. evilmonkey239

evilmonkey239 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yeah, as science advanced they would update some of the information. An example that comes to mind is giant pandas being stated to not be be bears in the original edition of Bears from the 80s but the 2011 version stating that they are bears after all, which makes the lack of a proper section dedicated to them in the issue a bit awkward. And of course in the Endangered Species issue, the conservation statuses of animals have been updated over the years as they have unfortunately become more (but sometimes less) endangered over time.

19. Fanfin anglerfish

Fanfin anglerfish Well-Known Member

Not a zoo book but I have san diego zoo guidebook as well as multiple 2010 and up enclyopedias, My most recent addition to my collection which released last year was the “Ocean!” book.

20. elefante

Did you ever read the Zoo Babies series that was about San Diego Zoo animals? I remember a few; Zelda the Zebra, Wilbur and Orville the Otter Twins, and Lindy the Leopard (a black panther so this shows how long ago it was).