Join our zoo community

How many users?

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by ANyhuis, 25 Apr 2017.

1. ANyhuis

ANyhuis Well-Known Member

Jbnbsn99 (or anyone else), Does anyone know "exactly" how many members there are signed up for ZooChat?? Just wondering.

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

there are 9737 members in total. Not all of them are active...

On the "old" forum there was a very handy section showing the number of members and the "join rate" per month and all sorts of other cool stuff. That is not on the "new" site unfortunately. But on the home page, if you look on the right side of the page there are a couple of little boxes for Forum Statistics and Gallery Statistics.

3. ANyhuis

ANyhuis Well-Known Member

Thank you, I saw that!

4. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I would say that active members, not just people who join and ask a university related question or those who no longer participate, probably number about 400 but that's just a rough guess.

5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

There are currently 9,749 members who have active accounts.

By active I mean: not banned; valid email address; not waiting for moderator approval.

We have 12,533 users listed in our database - the difference between this number and the "active" number above is people whose email addresses have bounced or have been banned or are waiting for approval.

If you look at the userid of the most recently joined member, you'll see it is: 14498 ... which means that we've had 14,498 users register an account. That number includes spammers and other people who have been banned and inactive users who have had their account removed from the database because they never posted.

We actually get over 60,000 unique visitors each month (both members and guests)

Here is a breakdown of where the top visitors came from in the past 30 days (counting visits, not visitors):

upload_2017-5-10_20-33-9.png

zooboy28 likes this.
  6. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

How is a visit defined Sim?

7. Chlidonias

you're just wondering if you have logged on to Zoochat over 5000 times in the last 30 days aren't you?

Where's Vietnam!!?

Coelacanth18 and devilfish like this.
  8. FunkyGibbon

Genuinely very concerned that is the case :D

9. Chlidonias

I think your employer should be more concerned :p

10. FunkyGibbon

What's interesting is that there are off the top of my head four active Chinese members, if you include Hong Kong, and yet we have more visits than Australia so there must be a lot of guests inside the total I think.

11. Chlidonias

it might include bots. I imagine China has a lot of those.

12. Simon Hampel

A visit (or "session" as it's more accurately called) is started when you first access the site and then expires after 30 minutes of inactivity or at midnight (midnight my time).

So, no matter how many pages you view, if there's no break of more than 30 minutes (or it's not past midnight), then that's all one session.

If you check new posts in the morning, then again at lunchtime and then again in the afternoon, that would be 3 sessions.

There are other things which can cause it to count a new session, but those are more technical.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  13. Simon Hampel

I managed to get it to show users (visitors to the site) ... so rest assured that it's not all one user generating that traffic from China!

upload_2017-5-10_21-39-15.png

I'm surprised there is so much traffic from China, but it won't be bots - Google is pretty good at excluding those from stats. More likely we're just getting more attention from people in China. There are an lot of them you know!

Yes.

Given that nearly 70% of visits in the past 30 days originated from a search engine (any search engine), the vast majority of our traffic is guest traffic.

upload_2017-5-10_21-45-31.png

We saw over 44,000 clicks from Google searches alone in the past 28 days, of which only about 6,000 or so were people typing in "zoochat" or some variation of that.

Interestingly, if you look at where those Google search engine clicks originated from, there's no mention of China anywhere - they obviously don't (or can't) use Google.

upload_2017-5-10_21-49-56.png

There's no mention of China, Hong Kong or Taiwan in any of the top 50 sources of Google search traffic.

If we go back to the session stats and drill down further by considering the source of that "organic search" traffic, we do see that so.com (which I believe is a Chinese search engine?) ranks pretty highly in our traffic sources - so we're obviously ranking in China and people there are interested in zoos (either that or we're getting a lot of accidental traffic from people searching for other things).

upload_2017-5-10_21-53-59.png

14. FunkyGibbon

I want to make a reasonable reply but at the moment I'm genuinely laughing out loud that Trinidad and Tobago ranks higher on the google list than the Netherlands. An overlooked gem in the zoological world perhaps?

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  15. Chlidonias

16. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Me(Hong kong),you,Deer forest and who?

17. Chlidonias

baboon