Join our zoo community

How much would it cost?

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by Vulpes, 20 Mar 2013.

1. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

I was wondering how much it would cost to open a zoo or an aquarium, realistically now, starting small and working your way up.

Land is obviously the most expensive part but leaving that to the side, how much would it take to get a decent collection off the ground?

Id say an aquarium would be more expensive to get to a point where people would feel they got value for money, you need large expensive exhibits from the beginning.

If anyone has seen any figures floating around the net for new smallish places let us know.

2. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I would guess the easiest, quickest and cheapest way to start a small zoo is to buy or rent a small farm, preferably near a holiday area, and start with pet or rescue animals and build up the collection as funds became available. I have visited several of these petting zoo farms and they can vary greatly in quality, but some are very good.
    I recently visited a place in Kiltimagh (west of ireland) and they have a range of domestic and pet animals such as lambs, kune pigs, llamas, ducks, geese etc. but also pheasants, palm civets, coati, raccoon dogs and some interesting reptiles. The staff appear to be young volunteers and they were very keen and courteous and seemed knowledgable of their charges. The animals are healthy looking and well cared for but
    the one frustration about this place for me was that some of the enclosures are a bit ramshackle but a few hundred quid and a good carpenter/tradesman for a week could have it looking grand. If I lived nearer i'd volunteer to get it done for them myself.
    Anyway just an idea.

Neil chace likes this.