Join our zoo community

Kolmården Zoo How should you do?

Discussion in 'Sweden' started by Kwambeze, 26 Dec 2010.

1. Kwambeze

Kwambeze Well-Known Member

This question is posted to the people who have visit the Kolmården Wildlife Park.

Kolmården faces a major rebuilding of aparium, the area of gorillas, chimpanzees, gibbon and Pygmy marmoset. I think either CEO Magnus Nilsson Veterinary Bengt Röke have said it in the media.

Since no plans have been submitted, it would be fun to hear how you think the area should look like.

/Kwambeze

2. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

I would give up gibbons and pygmy marmosets all together but keep the current Aparium building.

Indoors I would do something about those horrible acoustics and artificial lights and look into the possibility of putting glass roofs over the animal exhibits.

Outdoors I would utilise more of the vast amount of space around the building and build three outdoor exhibits along the southward mountain slope, actually using the slope in the exhibits rather than building longs tunnels for the apes. There would be one exhibit for chimpanzees, one exhibit for gorillas and one exhibit they would take turns in using. The gorillas would be mixed in with smaller monkeys such as guenons.

Kolmården has the space and landscape to create some of the best exhibits for chimps and gorillas in the world if they choose to utilise the slopes, trees and boulders that already exist there.