Join our zoo community

Welt der Gifte Greifswald (Closed) How to found a zoo - WdG Greifswald and WdG Salzburg

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Batto, 27 Jun 2017.

1. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Dear reader(s),

let's start with a general observation of mine:

Over the years, I've observed a certain kind of topic recurring at ZC in an seemingly endless repetition. Usually, it goes somehow like this:

A new member, usually with a nickname combining a popular animal species with a code or a self-proclaimed title of expertise, enters the stage. He (as the vast majority of the persons in question are young males) is overexcited and overjoyed. Finally he's found an fellow enthusiastic audience! Unlike his family and friends, whose ears he's already talked off to no avail.

(Been there, done that, haven't we all?)

After stating his personal zoo enthusiasm (usually somehow connected to his local zoo), he starts to unveil his single calling in life: to found a zoo. Because playing Zoo Tycoon doesn't cut it anymore.

This manifesto is usually followed by an extensive list of exotic and elusive animal species he plans to have in the zoo once he's out of grammar / high school (once again: we're generally talking about young lads here; no problem with that, though - gotta start 'em young) as well as general questions regarding career paths leading him to be the next John Aspinall, William G. Conway, Gerald Durrell, Bernhard Grzimek or Ed Maruska.

[Note: if you do not know who any of these fine gents are, you have some serious book reading ahead of you]

After this, more or less seasoned ZC members will welcome him, congratulate him on his fine choice and either join him building castles in the air or try to bring him back to earth.

This whole thing then repeats itself with the next new aspiring zoo founder...

So why am I stating this rather obvious observation (no ill will intended)?

Well, if anything goes according to plan, I'm doing what the protagonists mentioned above long for:

I'm going to open my very own little (specialized) zoo to the public this July.

No kiddin'.

No adolescent never-never land fantasy.

No flimflam.

So if you're interested, let me lead you further down the snake eh rabbit hole.

If not, so be it; might see you at the zoo then! ;)

2. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That sound very good!What animal will your zoo have?

3. Batto

More than one...;)

4. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've read the first post over and over again. I can still hardly believe my eyes. Batto talking about opening a zoo sounds like the world just turned upside down. ;)

Congratulations and good luck with all the difficulties you will face as a zoo owner. But I guess no-one has to tell you that about the challenges that await a zoo founder, that's your job here on ZooChat after all! :p

Van Beal and Batto like this.
  5. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Will there be, a venomous snakes? :D
    Will it be, regularly open for the public?
    In wich country it will be ?

6. Batto

Eh, another job? So where's my updated paycheck?

Yeah, I'm usually one of the aforementioned people bringing the fantasts down to earth. Better me than bureaucracy.

TheAmurTiger and Mr. Zootycoon like this.
  7. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Volunteering is a noble way to spend your free time. ;)

8. Batto

TheAmurTiger likes this.
  9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

This is cool. I hope it's a bat zoo. (Although if I have to move this thread to the Fantasy forum later, I will be frowning intensely in your direction!)

There are a (very) few Zoochatters who have opened zoos, and a note for all the Fantasy Zoo enthusiasts is that they are not mega-zoos with hundreds of species of large mammals...

10. DragonDust101

DragonDust101 Well-Known Member

Well, give me the details. Where? What animals will you be starting with? What general bits of info? I don't think your location in the Baltic Sea Area will help with getting an African Savanna started.

11. Chlidonias

:cool:

animalszoos and jayjds2 like this.
  12. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I look forward to a very promising thread. Part insightful, part looney.

snowleopard and Batto like this.
  13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I look forward to hearing more in the fullness of time!

Batto likes this.
  14. Batto

MagpieGoose likes this.
  15. Chlidonias

well I figure it had to be bats or snakes. Although you could combine the two themes and have cave-dwelling racers...

BenFoxster likes this.
  16. Batto

Van Beal and Bisonfan like this.
  17. Batto

Dear readers,

thank you for your interest. Before I continue as promised, please be aware:

No ABC zoo animals. No "African Savannah" (bleh). No fantasy scenarios. This is a real, actual part of my life that I've invested my time, money, passion and sometimes even literally blood & sweat into. By my very own choice, I'm offering you a personal insight. Just keep that in mind.

1. The Beginning

Like pretty much everyone on ZC, my fascination in nature and fauna in particular started early on. Luckily, my family was most supportive. Early on, I chose to study a profession that allowed me to work directly with animals. Which had, as you can suspect, its drawbacks, such as bad pay, lots of stress and frustration, but also its bright spots.

Such as attempting to dodge gorilla feces flung at you like Neo evaded bullets in the Matrix (I was less successful). Getting bit, stung, kicked, clawed, peed, spit, bled, "pussed", ejaculated etc. on by a vast number of species. Almost losing an eye to a snappy retic python. Or wondering what antibiotic you should use when the experienced lab technician tells you that the results of the oral swabs from the iguana that just crushed your thumb look, I quote, "funny". Well, at least you always have a good story to tell in the pub. ^^

I visited many zoos and other animal husbandries before and behind the scenes, did several externships abroad and worked for a while both in zoos or as an external consultant for zoos (which I still do now and then these days). Over the years, I have established a network both within the zoo community, animal trade, research etc. that I can rely on if necessary.

My current job has some curative aspects (in particular bats, but also other species), but mostly I do management & organization these days. Which is good because
    - I have regular working hours (which is great when you have a family)
    - I earn a decent salary
    - I've learned different aspects of management and organization that are vital for running a business.

Furthermore, I never stopped learning. Next to the aspects important for my line of work, I've participated in long-term postgraduate courses on business management, entrepreneurship sessions and workshops on a great variety of things (that are nevertheless connected to a greater theme), including komodo dragons, beekeeping, bat husbandry or great ape cardiology (where I happened to be one of the test subjects. Don't ask). I might attend a cricket breeding workshop this year, and I'm going to be at the king cobra symposium this fall. Be aware that all of this is time-consuming and often rather pricey.

Most importantly, I have a family and a social environment that trusts and supports me. Without that, the following would be near impossible.

18. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

zoogiraffe and Batto like this.
  19. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Batto,
    You:
    -Had a support from your family
    -Are having support of your own family - from childs too?
    -Have a PhD degree related to animals
    -Had a lot of practice with exotic animals
    -Have a knowledge and practice about organisation, entrepreneurship, management
    -Have a support from a network of friends from zoo community and related areas
    -Have a decent salary to support the zoo initialy
    .... And what you don't have? Or what would be your greatest weakness? Eg., @Chlidonias don't have a leg, instead have an appendage - of corse a joke - remember it? :p

For example, I:
    -Don't have - or had a support from parents
    -Don't have my own family
    -I have a Master degree in veterinary medicine
    -I do have some personal experience with an organizing , project managing and entrepreneurship
    -I don't have a decent earnings, yet
    -Luckily, I already started to practice with wild animals, again.
    -I do have a courage to start if have money.
    -I don't have a support from friends from zoo community. See, I have several weaknesess.

And finaly, can I hope that one day I can practice in your zoo in order to get some experience with a particular species? :p

Last edited: 28 Jun 2017
    BenFoxster, Jungle Man and Ebirah766 like this.
  20. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

I'm intrigued to hear your process Batto. I'm sorry if I was being too ambitious or excited in previous threads. Thanks for taking me back to earth and getting my priorities straight. Good luck and keep me posted!

TheEthopianWolf03

BenFoxster likes this.