Join our zoo community

Welt der Gifte Greifswald (Closed) How to found a zoo - WdG Greifswald and WdG Salzburg

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Batto, 27 Jun 2017.

1. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Taking shape

While I was still studying at university, a popular toxicologist (no, not Bryan Frye) was invited to give a lecture there on animal toxins. I attended said lecture, and really enjoyed myself (also thanks to him being a very knowledgeable and approachable speaker). This talk sparked a little idea that over the years started to sprout, fueled by further random cases, accidental discoveries and novel experiences.
    As Chli pointed out in another thread (#30), pretty much all of us have written down grand zoo design ideas, and that way before the internet. So did I - even though "African Savannah" was never among them... But what really changed my point of view was the aforementioned William G. Conway's article "How to exhibit a bullfrog". People who know me are aware that I tend to refer to this rather simple article again and again. That's because I think that it addresses several vital aspects modern zoos tend to lose focus on. I started to observe the behaviour of zoo visitors (what is usually referred to as "Stuff you see or what people do that irritate you when you go to the zoo?"), listen to their opinions, compared different educational and representative approaches of zoos, studied the associated literature and began to conduct some "field experiments" on my own (no neurosurgery or sinister mind games involved). Based on this, I began to construct a concept while still studying, working and finding my place in life. I met my future wife, married, found the job I currently work in and fathered children. The concept was still there, but kinda tucked away as a future project (like writing a novel or learning a new language).
    One day, I corresponded to a lovely senior American gentleman I had met at a Zoohistorica outing. He happened to be one of the grand zoo people back in the days and is now a zoo /circus historian - and a pen pal of mine. Lovely fellow; some seasoned ZC members might know him, too. Out of a whim, I mentioned my concept, not thinking much about it. He asked me whether I could send him a synopsis of it. Sure, why not. A few weeks later, he lets me know that he had shared my concept with some of the older curators, among them William G. Conway. And they loved it! Conway himself said something along the lines "Give the fellow some money so that he can build it."

[​IMG]

Last edited: 29 Jun 2017
  2. Batto

My children are too young to be anything but of emotional support. In that, however, they excel.

Except for the worst sociopaths, everyone has a family. Doesn't have to be related by blood...

Slipping out my greatest weakness? Who do you think I am - Superman? ^^

3. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Not a superman, but you left me an impression like a man who have all of the finest things that life can offer - including a perfect hobby or job according to your preferences, or man having an ideal life, in which - ideal life, however, I do not believe. But that's just my belief. But I would don't want to hijack the thread, so keep on going with your story Batto and tell us more.

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

see, I read what Batto wrote as being that he actually worked damn hard to get where he is. But maybe not, maybe he is just cruising through an ideal life.

Van Beal and Batto like this.
  5. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for this link. I did not know this article, but I enjoyed it very much.

animal_expert01 and Batto like this.
  6. Batto

You're most welcome @lintworm. :)
    Nope, @nikola, my life isn't all peaches and roses. My current job is far from perfect, but it pays the bills and interferes little with my project. And I'm not making anything up nor whitewashing anything.

7. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

When it comes to your job, Batto, I am very interested whether ever, was isolated a lysavirus - rabies virus from the bats in your institution, since they can often be asymptomatic carriers of this deadly-for most mammals virus, and some evidence even suggest that man have been infected via inhalation of bat dust - dried saliva in a cave, and long incubation period has also been recorded - like ten years or so.

8. Batto

Short answer: nope. And way OT. No thread hijacking, please.

Nikola Chavkosk likes this.
  9. DragonDust101

DragonDust101 Well-Known Member

Okay ,if this helps.

May I
    upload_2017-6-29_17-15-37.png
    see said concept?

10. Chlidonias

to quote CinemaSins, "maybe if you'd just let him finish..."

Mickey, Brum, pachyderm pro and 3 others like this.
  11. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Batto, good luck! ;) Also, do you have a species list?

Van Beal likes this.
  12. DragonDust101

DragonDust101 Well-Known Member

Uhm. sorry. To also quote CinemaSins, for no particular reason, "This scene does not contain a **pdance"

13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I imagine he *does* have a species list - the question you meant to ask was "will you share the species list with us?" :p

As for that, I imagine time will tell one way or another.

14. Batto

There's your looniness, @Zooplantman ...

Last edited: 30 Jun 2017
  15. Chlidonias

16. Batto

3. Preparations

Having such people of merit praising my concept was a true accolade for me. This was the motivation I needed to get started.
    So I sat down with my wife and started to crunch down the numbers. How much money and time could we invest, what bureaucratical and practical hurdles had to be overtaken, which risks, dangers and chances could be expected? All in regard to our current and reasonably foreseeable occupational and private situation (especially in regard to the children). We tried to be brutally honest with one another: was this brainchild of mine healthy enough to be born and survive? Was there a demand for such a concept here? Was there any alternative? And how to deal with unexpected adversities (sickness, unemployment, natural catastrophes, changes of legislation etc.)?
    We decided to start slowly and step by step. The project would start as a small subsidiary occupation of mine to keep the risks of investment and potential losses to a reasonable and affordable minimum.
    Based on the teachings of my postgraduate education and my experiences at work I started to develop my business strategy, starting with a SWOT-analysis and a business plan. The latter developed, extended and changed slightly based on new information and experiences I gained throughout its development, but remained true to the original concept. I still use it as an exposé to illustrate the project to interested parties.
    I participated in a founder workshop last December to learn more about the relevant national legislation and taxes guidelines for founders and entrepreneuers / employers. The senseless complexity of the latter (after all, I'm living in a highly bureaucratic EU member state) almost made me throw down the towel. My respect for anyone managing to found any business against such odds grew by the minute, just as my spirit plunged down into frustration.
    However, the teachers of said workshop were kind (and smart) enough to show me and the other, equally frustrated participants some loopholes, alternative options and chances and re-initiated the motivation in us to continue.

I tried to analyze the surrounding areas in regard to suitable sites, also in regard to the price, potential visitor traffic (after analyzing my main customer base), the neighbourhood, the usability of the structure, the accessibility by car and public transport, prevention against natural disasters (floods can be quite an issue when you use a cellar), security against burglaries etc.

One of the potential sites I visited was a former brothel / drug transfer site right next to a shooting range. A single mother with her kids had temporarily lived in part of the building after the brothel had been closed down by authorities. This combination of leftover paintings by the kids with the former "business" structure was one of the creepiest buildings I've ever been to and would probably inspire every visiting horror novelist.

I finally settled for renting some rooms in an old business building next to the botanical garden and the central train station. Not the perfect venue, but the other inhabitants (among others a Christian charity organisation) are nice and complaisant, free closeby parking is available and it's quite close to the city center. At the moment, a new fellow renter is posing a bit of a problem since it's a recording studio and thus a tad bit loud. However, the guys in charge there are nice and willing to find a common solution. Nevertheless, should the concept work, finding a better venue will be mandatory.

BenFoxster and iluvwhales like this.
  17. Batto

Ah, rather a mistake in name - thanks for pointing it out, @Chlidonias

18. Chlidonias

that's my job! :D

Yeah, seriously, I have no job...

Batto and lintworm like this.
  19. Batto

4. Red Tape

As previously mentioned, bureaucracy was the main dragon I had to face (and slay - or at least pacify). Surprisingly (and luckily!), some aspects went a lot smoother when I suspected. Others, like the business (tax) registration are, as expected, a pain in the neck, but nevertheless doable. I might be favored by the fact that this part of the country is sparsely populated, quite rural and thus more down-to-earth than the rest of the country, making dealing with authorities a lot easier. Furthermore, having officially documented all my education efforts over the years and knowing how to represent myself convincingly as well as having some necessary network buddies to back me up also helped a lot.
    [Be aware that this a very positive example that, given local standards, might not be applicable to countries with different legislation. Even within my country, this is the exception of the rule).

- The registration of my husbandry by the local federal veterinary and regulatory authority went like a charm. I invited representatives of both in, showed them around and got my license soon afterwards. The only requirements they wanted from me was keeping them updated on my inventory list and getting in contact with the local federal security agencies such as the fire department and the police, which I did.
    - The local environmental agency was equally forthcoming, despite being reaaally nitpicking at times (for what they actually apologized - after all, they just want to do a proper job). I handed over all the origin documentations of my specimens of CITES and locally protected species, and since everything was in order, we were good to go.
    - Other requirements (a certificate of good conduct, the consent of my employer for the subsidiary occupation etc.) I was able to fulfill bit by bit.

One of the trickiest tasks was finding an insurance company willing to cover my little project. I spent almost a year looking and negotiating until I finally found a larger company willing to insure it.

I'm still an aspirant for the membership in the local zoo union, but I'm on good terms with its current president who has ensured me that my chances are good and collaboration with me is encouraged by all members. I've been already working together with the closeby local zoo on several occasions.
    Furthermore, I've applied to be registered as a competence center by the national herpetological society, which also looks promising.

BenFoxster, iluvwhales and jayjds2 like this.
  20. Batto

5. Marketing

Last year, I started to help a local zoo that was on the ropes due to bad financial management and local politics. Unfortunately, the zoo was closed in the end, but I had learned a few things in the progress, which I integrated by in my postgraduate studies and in my concept. One fatal mistake of the zoo was outdated marketing. Therefore, I'm trying to use social media, including an own Facebook and Google business account, a basic user-friendly website and online booking system, a YT and Instagram channel etc. to increase the popularity of my project. Business signs and vouchers (that are included in an official welcome package for everyone newly settling in the city of my venue) are currently produced. I've approached contacts for relevant customer bases (school and kindergarten authorities as well as the local university, the tourism centers and already existing zoos, aquaria and museums).
    And to avoid a rookie mistake: no flyers, only vouchers are handed out. ^^
    And of course: representing my zoo at ZC and similar platforms to address the zoo enthusiasts. :)

BenFoxster, iluvwhales and jayjds2 like this.