Join our zoo community

Welt der Gifte Greifswald (Closed) How to found a zoo - WdG Greifswald and WdG Salzburg

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Batto, 27 Jun 2017.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

well yeah, but you didn't specify that you were going to pay to fly me there! It won't take me long to pack - most of my stuff is still in my bag anyway.

2. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I got the license for a "public animal exhibition"; the president of the local zoo union advised me to wait for my project to establish itself before going for the "major zoo category".
    Sorry, spent all my money on the project. ;)

iluvwhales and Zygodactyl like this.
  3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

The only problem with this project of yours is that it means I have yet another collection to visit whenever I next visit Berlin - this being, I suspect, the nearest "big" place I am likely to visit to Griefswald - on top of revisits to TP Berlin, Zoo Berlin and Magdeburg, and first visits to ACTP and Wildkatzenzentrum Felidae :p

Not planning such a trip for the foreseeable, however.

4. Batto

@TLD: indeed, it's about a 2.5 h drive from Berlin to Greifswald (= "Griffin Forest"). Or you could start from Hamburg with a stopover at Rostock (Zoo). And then there are Stralsund & Greifswald Tierpark, the two aquaria in Stralsund, Vogelpark Marlow...^^

5. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For those of us already planning a stopover in Rostock (and Berlin) in the near future, have you set an opening date yet?

(And massive congratulations, of course!)

Last edited: 1 Jul 2017
    Batto likes this.
  6. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

I like the whole idea revolving around toxic wildlife. Next time I'm in Germany, I'll go to this place first!

Just a quick question though, are you going to try to be an EAZA zoo in the future or will you just be a private zoo?

Zygodactyl likes this.
  7. Batto

Once I have the written confirmation of the business tax registration in front of me - which I hope will be the case sooner than later...

Private zoo

8. TheEthiopianWolf03

You said you are currently refraining from adding animals like King cobras and slow loris. Do you see yourself having these animals on display in the distant future? What about other venomous mammals?

9. Batto

Sorry, my crystal ball is currently in repair...^^

Regarding venomous mammals: there are a few suitable candidates, but not at the given situation.

10. TheEthiopianWolf03

Too bad there aren't any toxic birds you can add to your zoo. I think none of the species that are considered "toxic" are kept in captivity (I guess a common quails exhibit will work but since you are already planning a exhibit talking about the plant that makes the quail poisonous, the whole quail is kind of pointless)

I'm assuming the candidates for the venomous mammals are shrews, European moles, and slow lorises.

Van Beal likes this.
  11. Batto

??? You're making things up out of thin air. Never said that, never planned that. The hemlock origin hypothesis for cortunism has not been proven yet. I'm using a mounted quail my grandfather left me for the presentation, and I'm trying to obtain hooded pitohui feathers. There are other poisonous bird species that are already kept in zoos; however, I currently have no space available to keep them adequately.

No. If you want to indulge in another species list, I'd prefer you to choose a different thread.

Last edited: 2 Jul 2017
  12. TheEthiopianWolf03

Must have misread the post, sorry about that. I might just be a little excited for your zoo as well. Sorry for the species list. I can't wait to see where your zoo will go.

TheEthopianWolf

13. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thank you very much for this species list. Also a good tankmate for the Corydoras sterbai would be Corydoras Adolfoi. Corydoras Adolfoi is posinous, attractive, peaceful and is commonly available in the aquarium trade. I wish you luck.

Batto likes this.
  14. TeaLovingDave

Out of curiosity, are you referring merely to the spur-winged goose or are there more species of poisonous bird which I am unaware of? :)

15. Batto

16. Batto

17. TeaLovingDave

Interesting; I rather like Bronzewing Pigeons and saw two species at Plzen a fortnight or so ago. They would certainly be easier for you to keep than the goose :p all in the fullness of time, hopefully!

18. Batto

Official Opening: 22nd of July, 2017

19. TheEthiopianWolf03

Congratulations Batto! Is the website already up or is it still being made?

20. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Batto, can you reveal us some financial aspects of your project like:
    -How much you should pay to register a company in Germany, if at all?
    -How much you will pay for rent? I guess that will be the most costly from all of the costs.
    -Do you need to pay money for getting approval for public animal exhibition. For example in my country, let say if you want to open a veterinary ambulance, you need to pay 350.0 euros to Food and Veterinary Agency for getting an approval - the same case with some type of animal center, including a zoo, along with other costs and conditions needing to be met, which seems it is not a case in many EU-states? Or just to register a company, around 30.0 euros are paid and the procedure is 24 hours. Last year, I had unsuccessful entrepreneurship project of opening a very small dairy plant; I paid 350.0 euros for an approval, I don't got it - the official veterinarians concluded I need to fulfill many conditions in compliance with food safety standards. But I would pay for rent just around 30.0 euros/month for 70.0 m2 in a very remote village, but nothing. However, I do got the ecologic approval for limited operations, from the municipality council.

Last edited: 4 Jul 2017