Join our zoo community

Welt der Gifte Greifswald (Closed) How to found a zoo - WdG Greifswald and WdG Salzburg

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Batto, 27 Jun 2017.

1. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Given international variations in regard to legislation and finances, I doubt that my answers will be of merit for anyone except people living in the same municipality, @nikola.
    - Due to a special exception for small scale enterprises (Kleinunternehmerregelung), both registration costs and taxation have been simplified; the registration cost is about 60€, not including legal consultation.
    - Rent is dependent on the overal area I use and pretty high due to Greifswald being a college/university town and also due to increasing costs for energy consumption (electricity!). About 5-7€/square meter.
    - Yes, about 60€.

The website is going to be opened this week. However, it's going to be in German, so I somehow doubt that most of you will enjoy reading it.

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

but there will be pictures right? Who needs reading?

animal_expert01 and KenBoorman like this.
  3. Batto

Pictures of the animals? Yepp. Pictures of the enclosures? Nope. I don't want Nikola et al to get too overexcited by giving them a chance to judge my husbandry harshly and for free from the far, far distance...After all, you're supposed to visit the exhibition in person and leave some bills behind - all for a good csuse, of course. ^^

lintworm likes this.
  4. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

It would be great Batto if your enclosures provide to snakes to show 6 types of locomotion, as they would in nature - or in a big open space. A new situation in captive snake husbandry, written from a man from a country without even one venomous captive snake, or ok maybe one or two who knows, :p, but with a plenty of venomous snakes in the wilderness - mostly Vipera ammodytes, since Vipera berus and Vipera ursini are restricted to higher altitudes and are pushed by the Vipera ammodytes. I should not forget the other venomous snakes here, like Telescopus fallax and Malpolon monspessulanus - Balkan subspecies, probably it is - the colubrid with a depressed frontal region, looking like an elapid.

Last edited: 5 Jul 2017
  5. Batto

Thanks for the suggestion, but it does not fit into the concept.

6. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A most excellent day, that may also happen to be my birthhday ;)

But regardless, I can offer nothing but the deepest of congratulations to you! You are truly doing what many people can only aspire towards.

Batto likes this.
  7. Batto

8. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

how are these toxic? We have them living around our area, but never have heard of them being toxic - is it just the common bronze wing or other doves as well?

9. Kawekaweau

Kawekaweau Well-Known Member

This is an amazing thread. You must be the first Zoochatter to actually start a zoo (Moonlit and others don't count as they were founded before Zoochat was a thing). Let's hope it's not the last.

I'm actually pretty surprised to find that Gila monsters are found in private hands. Overall, your venom theme is very unique, and I would also like to see a message about venomous species being important to protect and conserve as well.

Batto likes this.
  10. Batto

...that's why visitors can donate to the Serra Grande project and the reptile shelter. Furthermore, native venomous species (such as Vipera berus) and appropriate behaviour around them are part of the program. A whole presentation arc is dedicated to the application of toxins for medical purposes.

Gila monsters are bred on a regular basis in captivity.

11. Batto

Here you go.

Zygodactyl and jayjds2 like this.
  12. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

There is, in point of fact, another Zoochatter who has been working on opening a zoo and who has just had their zoo licence granted - @stubeanz :) as Batto has managed to get his collection opened first, he technically has the crown - but both individuals have been working on their respective projects for some years, so I believe they are both worthy of equal acclaim.

13. Nikola Chavkosk

Actualy there is, or there was, at least another zoochatter working on its zoo, in Europe, and now probably he is intensively working on his project. But I cannot reveal his identity. This info traces back from a more than a year ago, from a private conversation. Hopefully he will also succeed to make an excellent attraction, but his plan was for an open zoo. :)
    Meantime, I am at one steep of purchasing several thousands square metres land, eventualy for a zoo.:oops:

Last edited: 26 Jul 2017
  14. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

Do you mean like a drive-through zoo when you said open zoo?

I did not know you were actually planning on building a zoo.

15. Nikola Chavkosk

For the first question, please see above, TheEthiopianWolf03.
    Yes I am planing a zoo, but I am very and very far from realizing in total. Main reason, money, and maybe a life experience, since I am 28. But I can afford myself buying a cheap land in my country of origin - and that country is closer to Germany than is to Russia. ;)

Last edited: 26 Jul 2017
  16. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Glad to here everything's going well. I have a few questions if you don't mind answering.

Will a proper zoochat gallery be added for "Walter Der Gifte" (World of Poison)?
    If so, would you mind uploading photos of the facility to the gallery?
    Apologies if you stated this elsewhere, but are any venomous mammals in your collection?

17. Batto

@pachyderm pro: your typing error inspired me to name one of the more aggressive scorpions "Walter" (Sobchak or White).:D;)
    - Sure, if any of the moderators is game.
    - I could; and the visiting ZooChatters could also add their photos.
    - Only as exhibits. Live solenodonts or a male platypus are out of reach. Venomous shrew species and European moles are short-lived, labour-intensive and not the easiest species to showcase. Maned rats are hard to get. The current rooms do not allow the adequate housing of slower loris, vampire bats or skunks without the neighbours rebelling. I could "squeeze in" African hedgehogs or lesser tenrecs, but at the moment I'd rather tend to acquiring a giant cane toad instead as the next addition.

Zygodactyl likes this.
  18. pachyderm pro

@Batto: My bad on the spelling error.:D thanks for the repl-... DID YOU SAY MALE PLATYPUS!?!? Forgive me if I'm wrong on this, but I didn't think there were any outside of Australia! Where was it sourced?

19. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think what he meant is that for now, venomous mammals are not the main interest and he prefers working on getting new species of amphibians, reptiles and such. I'm practically (There's always a little doubt :p ) sure he doesn't have a male platypus, the ''out of reach'' in his post points that out. :)

Batto likes this.
  20. pachyderm pro

That would make more sense, I took it as he meant they were out of reach from the public, off-exhibit.

Mehdi likes this.