Join our zoo community

Welt der Gifte Greifswald (Closed) How to found a zoo - WdG Greifswald and WdG Salzburg

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Batto, 27 Jun 2017.

1. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm surprised how this could be so misinterpreted. Only male platypus specimens have venomous spurs and would thus fit into the concept. Besides some Australian facilities, no one keeps platypuses, no matter what sex. And no one currently keeps solenodonts. Therefore, they are out of reach.

No. I would keep venomous mammals or poisonous birds if I could keep them adequately and legally. However, I can't in the current situation, so I won't. And I'm neither an animal hoarder nor a "species stamp collector". I only acquire species that I can obtain legally (often captive bred specimens from animal shelters), keep adequately and that fit into the concept.

Last edited: 11 Aug 2017
    Zygodactyl, nicholas, FBBird and 2 others like this.
  2. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yeah, interest was the wrong word, I completely understand your point.

3. SealPup

SealPup Well-Known Member

Sounds nice but a bit hypocritical, after you chided me for saying the public are drawn to venomous and lethal animals, or those with an evil reputation. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: 16 Aug 2017
  4. Batto

Unlike you @SealPup, I do not go for the "morbid fear & freak factor", but actually thrive NOT to demonize toxic animals, plants, mushrooms etc. So much about the incorrect allegation of hypocrisy...

5. d1am0ndback

d1am0ndback Well-Known Member

A MOLA keeper at the Fort Worth Zoo brought up a very valid point to me in a conversation. She told me that children have no natural fear of snakes, and that when they bring a snake out for people to touch the children run up to the snake without fear whilst it is the parents who stay back and or bring the children back from it. This drawing back and expressing disgust or fear builds on the child and builds their fear of snakes, which leads to problems such as people who kill anything that slithers, no matter how small, endangered, or harmless.

This relates to your post in that demonizing and running off of fear of these creatures will bring the wrong image to children who visit. You should instead rely on their beauty and lead people to admire them, not step back and see how quickly it can kill you, leading to a negative connotation that can evolve into something much worse.

6. SealPup

SealPup Well-Known Member

I am not sure this is 100% true: in the past there was debate as to whether chimps are afraid of snakes. The consensus is they instinctively are wary but it only becomes terror in suboptimal situations and at other times will express curiosity.

7. d1am0ndback

d1am0ndback Well-Known Member

Wouldn't you say it is quite possible that chimpanzees, like humans, develop these instincts from their elders as they grow?

8. Batto

Regarding ticket sales: about 50 paying clients. Almost the same number visited on the opening day.

Once again: please refrain from thread hijacking. If you want to discuss ophiophobia, please do it in a thread on its own.

9. Batto

@nicholas: not really. No clients, no revenues. And I like to give people the opportunity to learn something. Despite their antics, the kids were lovely - just as the enquiring old gents this morning.

nicholas likes this.
  10. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Excellent :) how does this compare to the numbers you hoped to achieve at this point?

To be fair, the topic of ophiophobia is a lot more on-topic than the previously-discussed fantasy posts which briefly hijacked this thread, given the fact there is some crossover between your aim of educating the public about toxins in general and the fact that one of the biggest factors contributing to ophiophobia is a lack of understanding *about* snakes and their venom. However, the conversation has moved on from this topic anyhow, so the issue is no longer relevant :p

11. Batto

It's Ok if it continues that way. I expected more tourists; so far, most visitors were locals.

SealPup likes this.
  12. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

I guess the decision whether to run the business will be based primarly on its self-sustainability - e.g., when ticket sales revenues covers all costs. Unless you will support the business with your own finances, because Batto, you have a strong salary, that is German salary. :)

Last edited: 14 Aug 2017
    SealPup likes this.
  13. Batto

All a matter of relation; Germany is neither Norway, Denmark or Switzerland.
    I haven't received any external investment for my project.

14. Batto

Updated list of kept species:

Snakes
    Agkistrodon contortix and A. taylori
    Aspidelaps lubricus lubricus
    Bitis gabonica
    Cerastes cerastes
    Crotalus basilicus
    Crotalus cerberus
    Crotalus ornatus
    Crotalus pyrrhus
    Crotalus vegrandis
    Euprepiophis mandarinus
    Heterodon nasicus
    Lampropeltis hondurensis
    Lampropeltis mexicana
    Lampropeltis ruthveni
    Lampropeltis mexicana x ruthveni
    Lampropeltis splendida
    Naja nivea
    Naja siamensis
    Oxyuranus microlepidotus
    Pantherophis "lindheimeri"
    Vipera ammodytes ammodytes
    Vipera berus berus

Lizards
    Heloderma suspectum

Amphibians
    Dendrobates leucomelas
    Incilius alvarius
    Phyllobates terribilis
    Pleurodeles nebulosus
    Rhinella marina

Fish
    Corydoras sterbai

Spiders
    Latrodectus hasselti
    Lasiodora parahybana
    Loxosceles rufescens and laeta
    Nephila inaurata madagascariensis
    Psalmopoeus iriminia
    Pterinochilus murinus
    Sicarius terrosus

Scorpions
    Androctonus australis
    Hadrurus arizonensis
    Hadogenes bicolor
    Hadogenes troglodytes
    Leiurus quinquestriatus
    Parabuthus villosus

Insects
    Platymeris biguttatus

15. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Nice list of scorpions! At least in the Netherlands, very few collection go further than Pandinus imperator. Are there species in the list that are particularly challenging to keep? (I have no experience keeping scorpions beside said P. imperator)

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. Batto

Thank you. P. imperator is actually more and more replaced by Heterometrus sp. scorpions due to the first being a CITES species now and thus more expensive to acquire. Androctonus australis is really fast and Parabuthus villosus can shoot its venom, too; otherwise, lovely critters.

Kifaru Bwana and Mr. Zootycoon like this.
  17. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Unless you have a large amount of money to begin with, and then some means of more money coming through, you will have great difficulties. It is all very well to make a list of all the species that you want to display, but actually getting them may not be too easy. Then there is the cost of feeding all your animals - very high. Not to mention the cost of construction of the exhibits, the many ''hidden'' costs of maintenance, the many fees you will have to pay to various authorities for permissions etc.. Also consider that that more animals you have on display the more staff you need to pay plus other staff, besides keepers, such as gardeners, catering etc.. The more you grow the more expensive it gets, and it never ends! What about the cost of insurance - if you can find a company who will insure you; many will not, and those that will are very expensive. Also consider that even if you are covered by insurance that can be cancelled, usually a few days before the policy is due to be renewed. (Been there,done that!). And these are only some of the things you need to think about; there will be many more that will crop up when you least expect them. Which comes back to the money. The income from the gates etc., will probably not be enough, especially in the beginning when you need it the most. Another ongoing thing you will require is advertising, and that is a bottomless bucket that you really can't do without!
    Good luck though, and I never regretted having a go, although very little money came into my pockets in the ten year experience.

18. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Um, you have actually read this thread right?

Last edited: 19 Sep 2018
  19. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Terry, have you read any of this thread at all? Batto has been successfully operating this zoo for two years now...

20. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Did you read this?......