Join our zoo community

Welt der Gifte Greifswald (Closed) How to found a zoo - WdG Greifswald and WdG Salzburg

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Batto, 27 Jun 2017.

1. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You can’t imply things about @Batto if you haven’t read the WHOLE thread

Batto and ZooBinh like this.
  2. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Dear Terry Thomas,
    thank you for your advice. Funny enough, it does sound a lot like the very same lectures I've been giving to others:D. However, since we're already handing out advice, may I give you another? As previously pointed out by others, you should have started reading this thread from the very beginning.;)
    Furthermore: LMGTFY :D

3. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Quite correct! I only read the first thread and did not realise that there was more to read. Was only trying to be helpful and raise points for consideration. My apologies and good wishes for continuing success.

4. Samantha

Samantha Member

Sorry, I’m confused ‍♀️ why can’t you hand out flyers and only vouchers??

5. Batto

It's not a matter of "can" or "cannot", but of efficiency: in general, people are more likely to keep vouchers for the sake of a bargain, while flyers are more likely to be thrown away without further notice.

However, to be honest: I've stopped handing out vouchers. Leaving leaflets at local hotels or touristic poi is more efficient.

iluvwhales and BigNate like this.
  6. Batto

Some good news, and some not so good ones.

First, the good news: the exhibition and, as a result, my very person has caught the eye of nationwide TV. Early March this year, WdG was featured at "Mein Nachmittag", a nationwide afternoon talkshow, as a relevant touristic attraction in Greifswald.
    Afterwards, I was invited to a live talkshow of the Norddeutschen Rundfunk (NDR) last Saturday. All went well; the local staff was nice and interested, the broadcast went well and I was able to talk a little bit about the exhibition. The feedback by friends and family is good, and no one was injured or killed by the live venomous critters I brought along. If interested, I can provide the link to the relevant show (in German). Sitting in a VIP room where just recently Gisele Bündchen and pianist Lang Lang had stayed before or having makeup put on me was kinda surreal, but fine.

Furthermore, I've also been invited to appear as a guest of a gameshow of said NDR a bit later this month in correlation with the exhibition. I might be able to win some money there, so why not?

The not so good news: my project-bound working contract has expired, and there is currently no other suitable job available here. I'm going to continue with the exhibition in Greifswald till the end of May this year. But in the end, I will have to move elsewhere, maybe out of Germany.
    Where this is going to be, has yet to be seen.

Qué será, será. ;)

Last edited: 8 Apr 2019
    iluvwhales, nicholas, ZooBinh and 8 others like this.
  7. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sorry if this is a bit phrased a bit poorly. But does this mean you have to move Welt der Gifte as a zoo? Or what do you mean with this?

8. Batto

It can mean that I'm planning to move WdG to the location of the new job (once I've found one). It can also mean the end (or a temporary hiatus, or a reorientation) of WdG if the new job / location cannot be combined with WdG in its current form.

9. Jobovc

Jobovc Active Member

Hey there, a very interesting report and an awesome read. I really like your idea and vision but I am wondering how did it all go with the temporary closure of your zoo. Do you have any plans for the future? Would love to visit one day.

10. Batto

Thank you for your request. I've found a new job. For that, I've left Germany and moved to Austria. I'm still trying to find a new venue there, which isn't easy.

Brum and Jobovc like this.
  11. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

May I ask what you did with your existing collection of species?

12. Batto

I ate them. With some faba beans and a nice chianti.

;)

No, in all seriousness: I transported the true toxic "heavyweights", such as the venomous snakes and the gila monsters, to the Gifttierhaus Eimsheim, with which I've been collaborating for quite a while now. You can see some pictures of the trip on the WdG Instagram and FB account.

The rest of the animals (among others, the amphibians and some of the arachnids) reside in my current private location.

iluvwhales, ZooBinh, Ursus and 3 others like this.
  13. Batto

Early this morning I was personally invited to the Haus der Natur in Salzburg, which also houses venomous reptiles. I had a lovely time and it's great to see that the reptile curator and I are on the same page. Let's see what future collaborations we can achieve!

Since the Austrian legislation in regard to the husbandry of dangerous animals is a bit more complex than the one in NE Germany, I still have to overcome quite a few administrative barriers to be able to re-open WdG. Fortunately, the relevant officials have been quite forthcoming, so - fingers crossed!

14. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thats what I'm gonna do (also because the new location would be at little closer to my hometown then;))

15. Batto

Today I personally delivered various copies of my finalized application for a local husbandry license to all the relevant federal offices (which, given that they are spread all over town, was quite a task in itself) to make sure that they got to the right place. Now I have to wait and see. Once I've got the green light, I'll send in the zoo license application - fingers crossed! It's kinda reassuring when the clerk in the office greets you with a friendly smile and says "Wait a second - are you that snake / scorpion / spider guy announced by office gossip?" "Eh, yes?" "Wicked!"[He didn't use that exact phrase, but he was nevertheless very positive]

Last edited: 19 Aug 2019
  16. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hope all goes well for you Batto and that you soon will hear positive news!

ThylacineAlive and Batto like this.
  17. Batto

Thank you for the many likes. Let's hope that the local authorities are just as supportive.

BigNate and ThylacineAlive like this.
  18. Batto

Great news: today I got the official confirmation from the local government that I'm allowed to keep my poisonous and venomous critters at the new location in Salzburg, making me the first official private keeper of these animals in the city of Salzburg and the whole federal state of Salzburg.

Next step: applying for the zoo license.

iluvwhales, Jambo, Keiikoa and 18 others like this.
  19. Batto

Tired, but happy: starting at 3am, I've successfully transported all my venomous critters from their temporary stay in Germany to the new location in Salzburg. All animals are alive and appear to do well. There's still plenty to do, but I made another big step towards reopening the WdG.

Brum, Maguari, Chlidonias and 14 others like this.
  20. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Great to hear. And I cross my fingers for a succesfull start there. However, I wonder how the reactions of the responsible people of Haus der Natur are? This institution is now - at least partially - in competition with you.