Join our zoo community

Howletts Wild Animal Park Howletts Wild Animal Park News 2017

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by ShonenJake13, 4 Feb 2017.

1. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I saw them when I visited at the end of March, whilst secluded I didn't realise or wouldn't have considered them offshow (i.e. nothing to stop me wandering to see them or suggest I shouldn't be there).

2. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Good point :)

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

End of an era with the passing of the Sumatran banded / surilis. Personally, a bit under the moon over that …, but they did not seem to have a long term future here sadly.

I do hope they continue to raise their plight at Howletts and set up a Sumatran project in future too along the lines they have done on Java with silvery langur and gibbon.

ShonenJake13 likes this.
  4. Brownie

Brownie Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks for the elephant update. Hopefully this will stimulate some breeding. What happened to Manzi? Or had you just missed her off?

5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There's another female Boula(born 2007) in Kouillou's group at PL which I presume will also join this new group in due course. I sometimes wonder if Sammi has been any easier to integrate a new group with, than ill-fated Matadi from Paignton who left so soon- did he really need to go?

6. ShonenJake13

Manzi is in with Coco's lot

7. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

If all goes well (ie, if I can get out of bed and onto a train in time) tomorrow I hope to make my first trip to Howletts. It's going to be a long day with a pretty early start, so I was wondering if there were places to eat at the zoo? Otherwise I'll try and remember to pick something up in Canterbury on the way between the two train stations. My main aim for the day is the gorillas, but I'm also super keen to see the ratels, is there a good time/chance of seeing them? Any unusual/rare etc species not to be missed? Thanks in advance! :)

8. ShonenJake13

I would have said the surilis but they passed away recently :(

Honey badgers are generally quite showy when they're getting fed. Usually that's in the afternoon. They're right by the Old Gorillas complex and the restaurant so just stick near there then, but you should be able to as that's the other end of the zoo from the entrance!

Species I would recommend are the clouded leopards, Iberian wolves (if they're showy), the gorillas (duh!) and the African elephants (largest herd in the UK).

Crowthorne likes this.
  9. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On my last visit, I saw all 3 Ratel around 3pm when they'd just been fed.

African Wildcat ( if still alive?), North Chinese Leopard, both only ones in the UK. Fishing Cat ( not particularly common) and Clouded Leopards ( usually most active late afternoon).

Crowthorne likes this.
  10. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Worth trying to spot the (offshow, but visible) Hecks Macaques too!

ShonenJake13, pipaluk and Crowthorne like this.
  11. Crowthorne

Thank you all! Really looking forward to the visit (although the early morning, not so much :p )

12. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Compared to the early morning I will have a week today in order to reach Plzen for opening time (and hence the lights being on in the nocturnal house) it's nothing :p

Crowthorne likes this.
  13. ShonenJake13

Question, where exactly are they and roughly what time have people seen them? I've been offered to see them offshow but if I want it for the challenge ;) then it would be good to know where they are haha. Also generally for future visits!

14. pipaluk

Last time I saw them they were in an enclosure on the drive up to the mansion.
    They can be seen from the woodland pathway, if you stand with your back to the old snow Leopard cage.

I did see them onshow at least once, in the last cage as you come out of the woodland path.

ShonenJake13 likes this.
  15. ShonenJake13

Thank you!!

16. Crowthorne

Had a great day yesterday, thank you for all the tips :) managed to see most of the species I was after - Pallas Cat, Dholes, Chinese Leopard, more Dusky Langurs and Clouded Leopards than I could have wished for! A good number of the gorillas, including the very special Baby Doll. The Ratels, which are possibly my new favourite animal. The Geladas were an unexpected surprise and another nice new species for me. The African Elephant herd is very impressive! The Fishing Cat was a no-show unfortunately, didn't see any sign of the African Wildcat, and didn't manage either of the off-show species.

Saw at least three Iberian Wolves :)

I kept running into a big group of noisy French schoolkids, but otherwise it was lovely and quiet. At one of the talks for the schoolkids I overheard the zoo's educator saying that four more of their gorillas are due for release into the wild later this year, not sure if that's been posted on here already or not.

One big downside to getting there is that terrifying road walk from Bekesbourne station. Most of the drivers are considerate and give plenty of room, but it was pretty hairy on some of the corners! Shame a simple footpath couldn't be laid down, I seriously felt I was taking my zoo-passion to new levels of death-defiance yesterday!

17. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Why do they keep releasing the Gorrilas back in to the wild?As I believe all the last lot are now dead!

18. pipaluk

Doesn't make much sense, I agree!

19. ShonenJake13

The four that will be released are Kanghu, Kebu, Kouyou and Fubu, the bachelor group of four at Port Lympne. They are to be put on an island in an Aspinall reserve in Gabon I believe? And tour groups in the reserve will be able to take a boat round the island and try to see them from the boat. So not a full wild release.

I think that the plan is to then use their current enclosure (the Villa and one half of the Gorilla Garden) to house a new bachelor group, which if I'm not mistaken will consist of the five young males from Howletts (Kisane, Joshi, Nkoumou, Kiju and Jouki) and the two young males from Port Lympne (Bou and Kabale).

20. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

There was me thinking it was because Daiman was anti zoo.

TeaLovingDave and ShonenJake13 like this.