Join our zoo community

huge collection zoo natural history books for sale

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Junglebob, 3 Apr 2022.

1. Junglebob

Junglebob New Member

Hello. Used to be a professional zoo keeper.
    Emigrating and packing up right now.
    I've a huge collection of zoo/ natural history books that are not going.
    They've been in storage, so they need to air out a bit, if you collect books you know what I mean.
    Some were bought new, some ex lib.
    Condition for everything is used. This was a working zoo keepers library.

My focus was on large mammals and European wildlife reflected in the collection

We are talking hundreds of books.
    No time to list. If ur the sort of person interested this will be enough to give you an idea
    Orbis wildlife encyclopedia set from the 80s,
    Anna Merz, Martin booth rhino. Run rhino run, raising daisy Rothschild,
    falconry glasier, johsgaurd grouse of world,
    Attenborough life books, BBC TV series books galore Amazon flooded forest, kingdom of ice bear, lifesense, nightmares of nature, big cat diary, zoo 2000
    Bunch of primates..Goodall, up among mountain gorillas, Gibbons of siberut, year of gorrilas, the ape people, in search of red ape, orangutan, samba and the monkey mind.
    Badgers, beavers, otters, foxes, tiggywinkles hospital, wolves, musk ox, Konrad Lorenz year of greylag, Mike Tommies, David stephen, flight of snowgoose, Crisler captive wild
    przewalskis by Boyd.
    Arjan Singh, big cats assorted, Thapar, white lions of timbavati. Innocent killers .even a lion called Christian from way back.
    african Asian NZ Field guides, national park books.
    Wildlife encyclopedia set from 30s with colour plates ,other books from that period
    Zoo specific books, Rosamund Fischer, Molly Badham, Dublin zoo, sandiego new and very old belle Benchley, Bronx, the chant of paradise,the welfare ark, safari park, David Taylor, Durrell, bunch of grzmeks books.
    Assorted wildlife encyclopedia more modern
    World naturalist series. Otters and gorillas.
    Some old circus animal training stuff.
    Some old zoo stuff.
    Probably a box of zoo leaflets and old guides...UK..if I can find them

In all its going to be probably 500 or so books.

The lot 250 quid.

I live 2 hours from Glasgow, Scotland. I reckon ud need a van or a pickup or Landi and trailer cos of weight. We are talking a serious pile of books. This literally was my own private wildlife library

Cash on pickup
    No cherry picking
    No time wasters.
    No haggling.
    No mailing.
    If you want them you need to come get quickly towards end of This week or before next weds.

I've a book dealer coming to look so they will be gone. I had help starting out in the zoo business with keepers selling me on double copies cheap.thats why I'm offering it up to zoo o philes first and cheap .2nd hand each in a book shop I'd guess I'd pay about 5 to 10 quid? It's a bargain under a extremely reluctant sale but as they say you can't take it with you, and unfortunately the majority of Collection I can't where I'm going
    Collection started in the 80s and grew through private purchase and trips to Haye on wye,

Anyone SERIOUSLY INTERESTED I can send photos.

Also potentially international zoo year books vol 1 to 18 for 300 quid. There's an offer already in.
    Same terms you collect cash on pickup

Anyone on ABWAK here? Feel free to share with professionals

Message me direct [email protected]
    If you are interested get in touch fast. Packing for the big move is finally happening
    Not a scam . I've been a lurker professional zoo keeper on here for 15 years.

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Sadly, given the fact I cannot drive and am entirely reliant on public transport I'll have to pass on this one given the extreme bulk concerned, and the fact you are implicitly based in very rural Scotland if the nearest major settlement you are able to cite is Glasgow, and even that 2 hours away :( much as my bibliophile, zoo enthusiast, and zoology nerd sides are all screaming out at the thought of being able to seize this opportunity.

However, I very much hope you find a good home for this collection!

3. Junglebob

Junglebob New Member

Thanks Dave . Yes it's rural Scotland. Argyll
    Yes you'll all kick yourselfs... aldiss London Zoo book he mentions the thylacine in it, animal squad closing Knaresborough, Gargantua, old Jim Corbetts, the books on kilverston, cricket, Bellevue, bostocks menagerie, zoo with out bars Chester, Colin tudge, whipsnade, lions on the lawn, Jimmy Chipperfield, Dickie Chipperfield, the Gillespie Edinburgh zoo, the ark in the park, they dined on eland, gathering of animals, old eg boulonger, the Windsor safari closure I think all durrells, hold that tiger, zoo search in Ceylon, the hidden zoo, from jungle to zoo, great zoos of the world, glasiers falconry, johnsgaurd grouse of the world, 500 books is I think a very conservative estimate unfortunately.
    approx 30 years of a collection the likes that will never be seen again but boy did I learn a LOT.
    BUT you are dead right it is a LOT of books.
    Dave I've enjoyed ur posts very much, knowing a lot of the private stuff in industry some made me laugh others groan...good job, keep it up.
    and I fully understand why you can't take up the collection.

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Put it this way, if you had been based in Northumberland, County Durham or North Yorkshire I'd have been making multiple bus/train journeys to ferry it home bit by bit ;) a few years ago a zoology book collection in the archives of the Sunderland Museum was being disposed of, and I quite literally ended up carrying multiple garden waste-sacks full of books on the Tyne & Wear Metro over at least two journeys!

I *think* @kiang is still based in your neck of the woods - so have tagged him into this thread in the hope he might be better-placed for your needs :)