Join our zoo community

Hunter Valley Zoo Hunter Valley Zoo News

Discussion in 'Australia' started by tdierikx, 6 May 2015.

1. tdierikx

tdierikx Well-Known Member

This zoo seems to have had a lot of expansion/additions recently... looks like I'm going to have to get my own butt (and camera) out there soon...

Taronga have sent some animals there recently too.

T.

2. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

What animals did Taronga send?

3. tdierikx

Fennec Foxes for sure... the ones that were housed between the big cats at Taronga are now at Hunter Valley.

Rumours about a couple of other species, but haven't confirmed those for sure, so won't post here...

T.

4. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

do they still do their newsletters? They used to be good for updates and information, but I haven't received one for quite some time now, and I find the website very uninformative - I look forward to hearing more about this place - lots of photos in the gallery will be great!

5. tdierikx

They update their Facebook page regularly...

T.

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

are there still fennecs at Taronga, or did they all go to Hunter Valley? And is it a permanent move?

7. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Yes there are. The ones between the big cats were the offspring of the breeding pair, while the breeding pair have moved to an enclosure up in the African Waterhole.

8. Chlidonias

ah, very good. Thanks for that.

9. tdierikx

The breeding pair and last litter are in the new enclosure... which is a great enclosure for getting nice photos of them... *grin*... nice and bright and the mesh isn't as hard to see through as with the old enclosure.

T.

10. Sunbear12

Sunbear12 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A bit of exciting new from Hunter Valley Zoo.

11. Jabiru96

Interesting! I wonder where they will source them from (as I believe that there are 1.3 still left in Australia as far as a I am aware)? Can tapirs be imported yet?

12. Chlidonias

tapirs can be imported, but I very much expect they are simply taking one of the animals already in Australia. My money would be on the one at Taronga.

13. Jabiru96

I would tend to agree with you but considering he was very sick not long ago (not sure if he has recovered) in my opinion Berani at Taronga won't be going anywhere soon.

14. tdierikx

Hunter Valley have already received some animals from Taronga... definitely the Fennec Foxes, most likely the Spider Monkeys, rumour has it that they may be getting the Lions... so why not possible that they have stuck up their hand for Berani?

Taronga are redesigning the area that Berani is currently housed in, so he would either have to move anyways, or be euthanaised, so why not find him his final home at Hunter Valley?

T.

15. Jabiru96

I am only assuming that he won't be moving due to his illness......doesn't mean that he definately won't move. If Taronga did euthanise him in order to free up space (which I highly doubt that they would do) I would be extremely disappointed and disgusted even.

16. tdierikx

The reality is that he needs to be moved from his current enclosure... if he can make the trip to Hunter Valley and live out the rest of his days with great care, then that would be awesome.

If his health issues preclude him from being moved and staying reasonably healthy, then maybe euthanaisia is not the worst outcome? There comes a time where the hard decisions sometimes need to be made, yes?

T.

17. Jabiru96

I agree with you that euthenasia would be beneficial if it was for ethical purposes (for continued pain and health impacts for example), however, I would be disgusted if any zoo in the world euthanised an endangered species (as the Malayan tapir is) for logistical purposes (which raises legality questions doesn't it?).

If Berani is healthy as I speak then I am all for a small, private zoo (such as Hunter Valley Zoo) being involved in a very important program for an endangered species.

18. zooboy28

Unfortunately, there is no program here for Malayan tapirs, the animal is being sent to HVZ because Taronga no longer has a need/want for it. If Berani was useful to the species survival as a breeding animal he should be sent overseas to be part of a breeding program (assuming he is healthy enough). Otherwise, I have no problem with him going to HVZ, I hope they build a nice enclosure with water and shade for him to live out his days in.

19. Jabiru96

Oh I did not know that ther was no program......apologise. I guess you could still argue that he would be a very important ambassador animal, but I will concede that if he is healthy Hunter Valley would be a great place for him. I still don't agree, however, with the notion of euthanising an animal to free up space (which I don't think Taronga would ever do, just an idea being thrown around here).

20. zooboy28

Yes, I absolutely agree with you there, that euthanasia is unacceptable if the aim is just to free up space. And I doubt Taronga would do it too.